PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Getting the Christian vote: Charismatics!

Guymontag
01-04-2008, 11:32 PM
1) What is a Charismatic?

First an introduction thanks to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_movement

Read that, I'll wait... you can skip some of the history and what not.

Okay... speaking in tongues, miracles, faith healing... sounds like a bunch of kooks right? The truth is that you will not find a more receptive Christian audience for Dr. Paul's message. They believe the Bible word for word and are all about forgiveness and love. The weekend after 911 I saw a singer from a Charismatic Christian band say "We should forgive the terrorists for what they did and love them, please pray for them.". I mean that should be all I need to say to motivate you to start making these churches a stop on the grassroots campaign trail.

2) Where can I find these guys?

Lets start with resources now that you know the meaning of Charismatic and Pentecostal. First this web site is a decent directory of many churches that will provide a starting point to finding people receptive to Dr. Paul's message.

http://www.charismatic.org/

or

Check your local phone book for any churches that sound like "New life ministries", "Christian fellowship", or "Christian Center". Call and ask some questions about their ministries. I'm not going to lie, its important to be genuinely interested in what they have to say. Pastors are professional B.S. detectors and will see through the act if youre trying to be something youre not.

3) I have some leads, now what?

I'd like to split this up into 2 sections: For Christians and For everyone else. It is important to remember that Churches CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES officially support a candidate due to their tax exemption status. Don't expect a pastor to preach the gospel of Ron Paul on sunday. Sunday is about Jesus and don't forget that. Your priority might be liberty but with a Charismatic Jesus Christ is by FAR the most important thing in their life. Always remember this and you will not offend.

-Christians-

Make an appointment with the pastor or an assistant pastor of a church and say that you want to talk about politics and Christian candidates. Once locked in conversation bring up the Non Ron Paul Republicans and talk about how as a Christian you feel that you cannot vote for a candidate that supports war. Bring up Ron Paul as the only Anti-War candidate and anti-abortion candidate. Challenge them a bit if they don't know anything about Paul and just express that you desire the council of people who know the Bible better than you (These guys are usually legit in this department, they have the book memorized.). And finally reference the story of Daniel in the lions den which is Daniel 6 if you dont know. I urge all non Christians to read it as well.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel%206;&version=31;

The point of the story is that Daniel was faithful to God even when he was tossed in a Pit of Lions. Once he emerged unscathed the King realizes that Daniel's God is the real deal and issues a decree to his kingdom saying this. This is why Christians would like a Christian leader because they believe the goodness of Christ can save the land. Even the hardest Atheist has to admit if everyone acted like The Christ the world would be very pleasant. To me this story is the cornerstone of Christian leadership in Government. Granted this story occurs before Christ but the meaning is still there. I'd bring up Georgia Governor Sonny Purdue as well. During the drought earlier this year he had a prayer meeting at the capital for rain. He got slammed in the media pretty bad. Too bad for them Atlanta got slammed by a storm a day later. These inspirational stories help give you and the Pastor common Christian ground for him to identify with your views.

-Non Christians-

Make an appointment with the Pastor/Assistant Pastor and come clean from the get go. Say "Hey I want to have a legit political discussion with a religious type." Be honest and talk about Ron Paul and why you support him. Touch upon the key Christian issues like abortion and what not. Hit them with everything you got right off the bat. If they are pro-war, politely ask them if they thought it would have been proper to turn the other cheek after 911. If you admire Jesus or any other religious figure (Paul or Martin Luther come to mind) you should say so. But the ultimate weapon in your arsenal requires sacrifice. IF NONE OF THESE THINGS WORK: make a deal. Churches ALWAYS want new people coming in the door on sunday. Offer to come to bring your non Christian self to church on Sunday and be open minded in exchange for another political conversation with the Pastor scheduled at a later date. This always works. Every charismatic church I have ever been to will love to have you in spite of your tattoos, pink hair, or Ron Paul shirt (which you should wear just as an ice breaker). People love to talk to the visitor and this will them something to talk to you about..."Oh Ron Paul? Heard he got 10% in Iowa..."

4) Closing points and general tips

I hope this post will help people to realize that the evangelical vote is not lost to Huckabee. This is just covering the groups of churches that I am most familiar with and I believe to be the most friendly to political message. As long as you treat their church and their God with respect they will listen to you and be just as polite as you are to them.

Extra points to hit:

- If Rowe vs Wade is overturned and the States take over the abortion issue, many states in the Bible belt will ban abortion. This will save lives quickly and will be far more effective than trying to ban abortion on a federal level.

- Hit all the typical good Ron Paul points... his consistent voting record is a great example and something I use to great effect. "One thing that bothers me about politics is how quickly people change their minds about the issues. Like how Hillary voted for the war, but is against the war... Ron Paul has been consistent from day one and the only man in government that has such a honest voting record" I also say that hes been married almost 2 times longer than I've been alive to the same woman.

- Keep the balance of the conversation even, allow them to speak because after all you are speaking to a leader of an church. He/she is used to giving advice and talking about delicate issues. Ask questions! Ask what the Bible says! Ask anything you ever wondered about Jesus. Respectful two way conversations are important when you are trying to make someone else see your point of view.

- Mention Pat Buchanan. For some reason loads of Charismatics love this dude.

You have to play their game if you want the chance to sway their vote. If you can sway a pastor then you indirectly influence anyone that he talks to about politics from here on out. By attending church and networking with evangelicals you will find that people are very nice and receptive especially in the church lobby after the Sermon is over. Wearing a RP shirt and letting them bring up Ron Paul is ideal, but if politics comes up don't hesitate to let them know where you stand and why they should stand with you.

--And if your THAT shy skip steps 3-4 and just put flyers under the windshield wipers of cars in the parking lot after you find a target church.--

Guymontag
01-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Gonna hit the bump button and sleep, hopefully this can help someone.

raiha
01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey how about a graphic picture on a brochure of someone being water boarded with caption
"Would Jesus do this?"

Guymontag
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey how about a graphic picture on a brochure of someone being water boarded with caption
"Would Jesus do this?"

In your face stuff like that will just make them mad or upset them. Some Christians have led sheltered lives and some havent... it would be a good idea to play it safe and play their game.

Abyss
01-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Alright this is where it comes down to how much are you willing to give?

We can be smart and in your face all day long with christians, and it is true that they often don't do their research. So it comes to US to educate them.

And by far the most effective way is through the church.

Are you willing to go to church to see Dr Paul elected? Sometimes in Rome you have to do like the Romans. We wont get anywhere without seeing them as people, and reasoning and getting thier votes.

Honestly Dr Paul should be more attractive to Christians then Huckabee. He is honest, always has been. And his ideas closely reflect the bible. The Bible doesn't teach a Theocracy.

The problem is that THEY DON'T KNOW. So please tell them.

Brad324
01-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I'll re-post my post from another thread:

I used to be a church-going christian, and I can tell you from experience, a few of Paul's policies that will be huge for the evangelical vote:

1) The abolishment of the department of education. Emphasize what this means for a standardized teaching of evolution. If the department of education is abolished, then it will be up to the states to decide whether evolution is taught in our classrooms, and whether prayer is allowed in our schools.

2) Pro Life. Pro Life. Pro Life.

3) In a libertian society. The churches will be the ones looked upon to provide shelter and charity to the needy. God's goodness will truly shine.

4) Ron Paul is honest, and would not steal in our country's name. If we elect dishonest politicians, we are guilty of lying ourselves.

Even though these things wouldn't win MY vote, or the vote of many people on this forum... these would be massive for churches. I know the way evangelicals talk.

Abyss
01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Exactly, and do they know that? NO.

Honestly Huckabee isn't the evangelical candidate, the is the least un-evangelical candidate, other then Ron Paul.

Lets let the christians know this. It is obvious that most of us are athiests or at least non christians, and it is disheartening, to know that there are blind christians out there, but nothign will change if we don't get those people to vote for Ron Paul.

And this could be a HUGE way of reaching 100's of people at once.

Guymontag
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I'll re-post my post from another thread:

I used to be a church-going christian, and I can tell you from experience, a few of Paul's policies that will be huge for the evangelical vote:

1) The abolishment of the department of education. Emphasize what this means for a standardized teaching of evolution. If the department of education is abolished, then it will be up to the states to decide whether evolution is taught in our classrooms, and whether prayer is allowed in our schools.

2) Pro Life. Pro Life. Pro Life.

3) In a libertian society. The churches will be the ones looked upon to provide shelter and charity to the needy. God's goodness will truly shine.

4) Ron Paul is honest, and would not steal in our country's name. If we elect dishonest politicians, we are guilty of lying ourselves.

Even though these things wouldn't win MY vote, or the vote of many people on this forum... these would be massive for churches. I know the way evangelicals talk.

Pretty accurate, this thread should serve as a pretty decent guide if someone wants to try to win over some Christians.

Abyss
01-05-2008, 11:27 AM
We should have a place where we put threads on how to get different people.

Like what arguments to use, what they would be interested in, etc etc.