PDA

View Full Version : I contacted Gun Owners of America to suggest an RP endorsement..

krott5333
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
and I got this response:

Thank you for the note.

It is too early in the game to make an endorsement of any candidate. There are some fine pro Second Amendment candidates in the race and Ron Paul is certainly one of them but unfortunately they are not leading the pack. If there was a dyed in the wool, solid pro gun candidate out front, we would probably make a recommendation but since all are in the background, we remain uncommitted to any one candidate at present.

Robert E. Duggar
Public Liaison

this should motivate you to start making calls to Iowa and start going door to door!

Thursday my local meetup will be handing out about 1000 slim jims and another few hundred homebrew flyers

FSP-Rebel
07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Our campaign coordinator in Mich is also the Mich rep for GOA. We'll get their endorsement sooner or later.

qednick
07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I asked GOA a couple of months ago why they weren't plugging RP more to their members and on their site given his flawless record on this subject and never received a response.

shrugged0106
bummer, yet another example of band wagon support.
noone seems to vote in order to win these days, only to be on the winning side. It's sad and rather pathetic.

Texas.410
Could you share the letter formate that you sent to them with me? Did you use an email letter? I would like to send something like that to the Texas Rifle assosiation.

SWATH
Don't worry, I think the GOA is in the bag. The NRA however, will no doubt support Thompson.

dspectre
07-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at this point, there is still a lot of time till the primaries.

SV-v2.0
07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
If there was a dyed in the wool, solid pro gun candidate

I'm wondering if whomever wrote that lives in a cave.

Ron Paul is the ONLY hardcore gun rights candidate, the only one with a PROVEN record.

IRO-bot
07-17-2007, 02:52 PM
I hate when people say that. When millions of people watch TV, or read the newspapers and they hear all these famous new anchors say things like "He has good ideas, but he can't win". "I can't support him because he isn't show in polls". It's basically telling people to literally not vote for someone.

specsaregood
07-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Well, that aren't exactly UNfriendly to RP.
http://gunowners.org/pres08/paul.htm
"Ron Paul has been a leader in the fight to defend and restore the Second Amendment. "

qednick
07-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, that aren't exactly UNfriendly to RP.
http://gunowners.org/pres08/paul.htm
"Ron Paul has been a leader in the fight to defend and restore the Second Amendment. "

I know they like him and they have a quote from him on their front page. What I was concerned about is the fact that they're not plugging him like they should be given his spotless record.

quickmike
07-17-2007, 03:05 PM
I think I understand the reasoning of GOA. They dont know who will be a frontrunner yet, so its kinda hard for them to support a candidate that they dont know will still be around later on in the game. You cant really blame them for that. How could they say they support Ron now, and then have someone else get their support. None of us are really sure ourselves if RP will be a frontrunner or not. We havent done our job of getting the name recognition out there like we should. GOA just cant support someone now, and turn around and support someone else later. Lets say RP ends up at 5% in the straw polls hypotheticaly. Wouldnt do much good supporting him would it?

I know it sucks how things work, but they have to back up someone who actually has a chance. Im sure they will support Ron if he can get in that supposed "top tier" club, but its waaaaay too early to know that yet.

All I know is that all of us RP supporters need to get the door to door thing going at a MUCH higher rate than we are now. Lets say there are 10,000 ron paul supporters in any given state. Lets take Iowa for example. There are about 3 million people in the state of Iowa. Lets say that there are 3 people per home on average. Thats 1 million homes, so all it would take is for 10,000 RP supporters to each go to 100 homes dropping off flyers to cover the ENTIRE state, and it would be done............ completely. This could be done in one weekend if it were an organized effort. Seems too simple to work, but it would if we just decided to do it.
Thats the shame of it.

Santana28
07-17-2007, 03:12 PM
same thing as the evangelicals - once the rest of the 2nd tier candidates drop out, and its left between Paul, Guiliani, Romney, and perhaps Thompson - they'll come out and endorse someone. There are simply too many candidates at the moment, and they don't want to endorse someone only to have him drop out next week.

FSP-Rebel
07-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I would think the GOA membership would already be supporting him. I'm a prime example.

quickmike
07-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Im a GOA member as well. Dropped my NRA membership 2 yrs ago because of their slimeball compromising. I also believe there are probably many GOA members that support this guyhttp://www.cinematical.com/images/2005/09/sam2.jpg Fred Thompson as well.

Hopefully when they hear Thompson debate, they will wake up or check out his actual record and see him for the CFR flipflopper he really is.

Bradley in DC
07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
IRS tax exempt 501(c)(3) organizations cannot endorse political candidates or they would lose their tax exempt status and organizational recognition. just so everyone knows, it would have to be GOA's PAC or something.

Wyurm
07-17-2007, 04:16 PM
If everyone keeps waiting to see if RP will become a front-runner before they support him, he'll never be a front-runner.

qednick
07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
If everyone keeps waiting to see if RP will become a front-runner before they support him, he'll never be a front-runner.

My sentiments exactly! :(

krott5333
07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Could you share the letter formate that you sent to them with me? Did you use an email letter? I would like to send something like that to the Texas Rifle assosiation.

here it is:

I noticed the Ron Paul quote on the front page. nice touch! Do you folks think you'll be endorsing Ron Paul's presidential bid? There is no other candidate that supports the Constitution to the 'T' as Congressman Paul does. And even though GOA concentrates on just the 2nd amendment, to only support select parts of the Constitution would be ALCUish!
Thanks for the support, and keep up the good work.

LibertyEagle
07-17-2007, 10:27 PM
We havent done our job of getting the name recognition out there like we should. ...........

All I know is that all of us RP supporters need to get the door to door thing going at a MUCH higher rate than we are now. Lets say there are 10,000 ron paul supporters in any given state. Lets take Iowa for example. There are about 3 million people in the state of Iowa. Lets say that there are 3 people per home on average. Thats 1 million homes, so all it would take is for 10,000 RP supporters to each go to 100 homes dropping off flyers to cover the ENTIRE state, and it would be done............ completely. This could be done in one weekend if it were an organized effort. Seems too simple to work, but it would if we just decided to do it.
Thats the shame of it.

You're right. Why can't we do this in our respective states? Heck, we don't have to hardly say a word. The campaign literature speaks for itself. We just have to get it to them.

Is there a reason why this can't be done? :confused:

ronpaulitician
07-17-2007, 10:54 PM
bummer, yet another example of band wagon support.
noone seems to vote in order to win these days, only to be on the winning side. It's sad and rather pathetic.
That's the reality we face, and it's why those established polls will be the difference between Ron Paul winning, and Ron Paul making a good showing.

tron paul
07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
The SAF, GOA, and JPFO forums are buzzing with Ron Paul momentum.

Let's bypass the leadership and go straight to the members!

When the members are overwhelmingly for Doctor Paul, the leadership will acknowledge this with Official Endorsements.

Join up and start spreading the good news at:

SAF.org

gunowners.org

JPFO.org

keepandbeararms.com

pinkpistols.org

wagc.com

Gun Manufacturers, Gun Schools, and Gun Store Owners offer additional support:

amfire.com

frontsight.com

gunbroker.com

Even the Canadians can help!

nfa.ca

Man from La Mancha
07-18-2007, 12:19 AM
That's the reality we face, and it's why those established polls will be the difference between Ron Paul winning, and Ron Paul making a good showing.

Is this the reason for your avatar?

FSP was founded by Dr. Jason Sorens, a Ph.D. in Political Science from Yale University and full-time Lecturer in the Department of Political Science at Yale University. Dr. Sorens has created one of the most novel and stimulating political strategies ever devised in our fight for firearm freedom and individual liberty. Free Starers are determined to work within the political system to reduce the size and scope of government. Porcupines vow to vigorously defend gun rights and fight for reductions in burdensome taxation and regulation, reforms in state and local law, an end to Federal mandates and restoration of Constitutional federalism. This innovative political strategy will demonstrate the benefits of liberty to the rest of the nation and to the world.

http://www.freestateproject.org/