PDA

View Full Version : !!s and $$s on my Walk List

stewie3128
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
As I'm highlighting and marking up my walk list, I'm seeing a lot of $$s and !!s in the symbols column. I presume that the $$ indicates yearly income, but I don't know what !! means. The cover pages don't specify. Does it indicate interest in the primary?

Bueller? Bueller?

DeadtoSin
01-04-2008, 07:49 PM
The "$" indicates that they've donated to the Ron Paul campaign, and the "!!" designates a VIP.

stewie3128
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
What's a VIP mean?

Also, a whole bunch of Us and Ds have donated to the campaign - guess I need to print out the party change sheets.

Alex
01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Some neat info on these sheets, but I'm a little surprised at my !!s. My dad is a well known business owner, and my neighbor is a Superintendent of a large school district. Neither got a !.

Still the ability to focus campaigning on Republican voters ill be a great help to all RP activists

Malum Prohibitum
01-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Some neat info on these sheets, but I'm a little surprised at my !!s. My dad is a well known business owner, and my neighbor is a Superintendent of a large school district. Neither got a !.

Still the ability to focus campaigning on Republican voters ill be a great help to all RP activists

take this data with a grain of salt. My wife is listed as a !!! and she is just the average person. Im listed as a unaffiliated liberal.

DeadtoSin
01-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I think this data corresponds to people that are in contact with a LOT of people. The people in my list are well known throughout my precinct or they see a great deal of people on a regular basis.

crink
01-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I just looked at my list.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that we have all this information to help us collect data.

But isn't not collecting info on others one of Dr.Paul's mission statements?

stewie3128
01-04-2008, 09:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's great that we have all this information to help us collect data.

Yeah, but all the other campaigns are doing it this way, so if we're going to be competitive, we have to play the game. Sucks, but so does most everything else about our election system.

Mahkato
01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
From the campaign:

You'll also notice that the walk lists occasionally put dollar signs and exclamation marks on the line. The dollar signs indicate that a voter is known to the RNC to be likely to donate, while the exclamation points indicate that the voter has some sphere of influence. In either case, these are voters that you want to try your hardest to win, because they may bring donations and additional votes along with them.

OptionsTrader
01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks!

berkeleybound
01-04-2008, 10:23 PM
The "$" indicates that they've donated to the Ron Paul campaign, and the "!!" designates a VIP.

No, $ does not indicate that. I think it is that they've donated to any political candidate in the past.

austin4paul
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM

The dollar sign ($$) indicates likely a voter is to donate to a campaign, NOT that they've donated to Dr. Paul's campaign. This was one of the suggestions, that the actual donors be added, but that information is not part of this database, which was adapted from an existing RNC database (as I understand it).

If you want to add a note about a voter that they HAVE donated to Dr. Paul's campaign (a GREAT idea!!) then you'll have to look that up yourself from the FEC. Unfortunately, it doesn't sort by precinct, but you can sort by zip code.

http://www.fec.gov/DisclosureSearch/mapApp.do?drillLevel=US&stateName=&cand_id=P80000748&searchType=&searchSQLType=&searchKeyword=

DeadtoSin
01-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Ah yeah, my mistake you guys are right. (Silly me, I somehow skipped that sentence when I was reading the briefing in the precinct campaign site)

austin4paul
01-04-2008, 10:35 PM
take this data with a grain of salt. My wife is listed as a !!! and she is just the average person. Im listed as a unaffiliated liberal.

Well, just tell her she's (!!!) to you.

Peppy690
01-05-2008, 12:54 AM
can't wait to see all the rp donors in my area for Q4...hurry up FEC

David40
01-05-2008, 05:54 AM
What qualifies one as a VIP?

Mahkato
01-05-2008, 10:31 AM
One of the houses near mine is owned by the city and is leased at below-market rates to single mothers in need of cheap housing. The mother is marked as !! on the list. Oh, and she moved away about 10 months ago.

So don't assume that the list will always be accurate.

WilliamC
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM

This is information about registered Republicans collected by the Republican party, not information collected by the government. I think the $$ means they've donated to Republicans, not necessarilly to Ron Paul.

My list is still blank, I guess they don't have Mississippi in their system yet. And yes I've emailed about it a couple of times.

Eponym_mi
01-05-2008, 10:53 AM
After reviewing the list for my precinct, I can see much of the data related to issue positions, influence, and money is inaccurate. However, the Pro-Life issue column may be more accurate for many.

The info came from the GOP's Voter Vault program. The info they have for me is wrong to the point of being comical. Don't put too much stock in it.

OptionsTrader
01-05-2008, 11:19 AM
What qualifies one as a VIP?

Their sphere of influence, how likely they are to influence others to vote.

msirilla
01-05-2008, 11:31 AM

QFT!

My wife and I are listed as unaffiliated liberals also, but both of us have been registered Republicans for years!

Also, I know many of my neighbors quite well and much of the data is flat-out wrong! One of my neighbors who's worked for the local Republican party for decades is listed as a Democrat and his ranking is "1" (i.e., MOST liberal, lol!!!). Also, a number of my neighbors are not U.S. citizens (I live in a University town), yet they are all on the list, with party affiliation and everything!

Also, I had a thought similar to what a poster above wrote: it's scary that this list has all this data about every single one of my neighbors!!! Party affiliation, degree of liberal-ness or conservative-ness, issues that matter to them (life, gun laws, taxes, etc.), whether they're likely to donate. It certainly does seem to run counter to Dr. Paul's concern for personal liberty and privacy!

Yes, I know all the other campaigns are doing it, but I will not be filling out any more surveys sent to me (or via phone) from the Republican party - or any other party! It really is a violation of privacy.

OptionsTrader
01-05-2008, 11:35 AM
If the data is wrong, be sure to take notes and add to the database notes section.

stewie3128
01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
If the data is wrong, be sure to take notes and add to the database notes section.

God, this data is SO wrong. It's alright for suburban and exurban places where people live in single family houses and don't move much, but more than half of my identified Us and Rs had moved! :mad: Maybe the RNC gave us a corrupted list.