PDA

View Full Version : A friend of mine just called me. Folks are putting RP stickers on albums in FYE.

TheConstitutionLives
01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
He asked if I've been browsing through any Pink Floyd albums lately. I was confused. I said, "Uhh.. no. What are you talking about?" He said, "I'm in FYE (music store in the mall) and I'm looking through the albums and every other album I pull has a little Ron Paul sticker on it saying "Vote for Ron Paul - ronpaul2008.com' on it. They're everywhere".

I told him that it wasn't me but I liked the idea. Just thought I'd share. Pretty cool.

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Civil Disobedience at its best.

gerryb
01-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't agree with Civil Disobedience that destroys/devalues other people's property.

Unless it is the owner of the store this is crappy.

Richie
01-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't agree with Civil Disobedience that destroys/devalues other people's property.

Agreed. Now, here come the flamers.

Xonox
01-04-2008, 07:27 PM
It's a cool idea, but not good policy. Respect private property people.

Bradley in DC
And those are the targeted Republican primary voters main source of presidential candidate news?

Lucid American
I've started distributing a wallet-sized mini-flier promoting Ron Paul's official website around.

At the local pizza place tonight, I put a stack of these on the counter next the business cards.

At Blockbuster tonight -- very busy tonight -- I scattered these throughout the store, some loosely on the shelf, and some I slid into the back covers, so when people turn it over to look at the back, they see the flier.

I stuck one in the back of almost 2 dozen of Ken Burns' "The War" and several others. I'm going to just start carrying these around by the pocketful, and whenever I see a good opportunity, I'll have them loaded.

:)

Stickers, though, are wrong.

Abobo
01-04-2008, 07:28 PM

If the CDs are wrapped in plastic like DVDs are I don't see the problem.

Bold As Love
01-04-2008, 07:36 PM
And those are the targeted Republican primary voters main source of presidential candidate news?

No kidding, with the Republicans I know, they'd be better off targeting Toby Keith, Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy or something like that. Or Glen Campbell, Elvis, Pat Boone or even some Milli Vanilli.

Richie
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
If the CDs are wrapped in plastic like DVDs are I don't see the problem.

That is irrelevant. The CD's are still property of the store - plastic wrap and all. By putting stickers on them, it's like cementing a giant Ron Paul sign on private property.

rory096
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I've started distributing a wallet-sized mini-flier promoting Ron Paul's official website around. It's like the following but says "Liberty" instead of "The Revolution" and lists www.ronpaul2008.com below the "Wants You".
http://www.foleyboard.com/fresh/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=18801;type=avatar

At the local pizza place tonight, I put a stack of these on the counter next the business cards.

At Blockbuster tonight -- very busy tonight -- I scattered these throughout the store, some loosely on the shelf, and some I slid into the back covers, so when people turn it over to look at the back, they see the flier.

I stuck one in the back of almost 2 dozen of Ken Burns' "The War" and several others. I'm going to just start carrying these around by the pocketful, and whenever I see a good opportunity, I'll have them loaded.

:)

Stickers, though, are wrong.
Can't see the image, can you rehost it at www.tinypic.com?

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 08:08 PM

20 Years from now, those stickers may prove to be much more important than the CDs.

It's a freaking sticker, for crying out loud, why must we be so politically correct all the time?

This political corectedness is what got us here, now we are afraid to take some chances.

krott5333
01-04-2008, 08:11 PM
one word to describe such an action: STUPID

okay, maybe not stupid. but disrespectful...

liberty_Forever
01-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah, seriously. Put down your bong.

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/grassrootscentral.test/

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Stupid is not to win this election.

Guymontag
01-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Just imagine if our forefathers didnt throw that tea off the boat.

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Just imagine if our forefathers didnt throw that tea off the boat.
My point exactly.
This, what we are doing is bigger than all of us.

OptionsTrader
01-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Stupid is an opinion. What they are doing is disobedient and they are not goiing to be stopped by anything we post here. I admire their creativity :)

gerryb
01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
20 Years from now, those stickers may prove to be much more important than the CDs.

It's a freaking sticker, for crying out loud, why must we be so politically correct all the time?

This political corectedness is what got us here, now we are afraid to take some chances.

NO.

It is this type of thinking and activity that got this nation to where it is today. When you trample on someone else's rights, no matter how seemingly insignificant it may be to you, you endorse the trampling of ALL rights.

It is going to cost that store owner employee time to take the plastic wrap off each cd, and have it re shrink wrapped. Think they are going to be a supporter after that? I saw another thread of someone putting RP bumper stickers on random cars. Would YOU want a Hillary sticker placed on your vehicle? Would you want a Rudy message spraypainted on the side of your house (you can sand it off, after all) ??

LJHudd
01-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I've put my Ron Paul Liberty cards into books at the book store. It does not deface private property and someone who picks up the book can either throw the card away or read it. I've placed them in Alan Greenspan's books, Bill O'Reilly books, Glenn Beck... you get the picture.

Richandler
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
This won't help get votes or donations. It's completely usesless as a campaign tool. You guys are complaining about the National Campaign not doing well. Well it's things like this which do nothing to help get anyone elected.

ecliptic
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
It's a bold move as long as they leave the backing on. That way the purchaser can use the sticker somewhere else. Pretty mild as far as civil disobedience goes...

Technically it's wrong, so make your own decision and weigh the risk...

Guymontag
01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
My point exactly.

Unlikely conversation between the Sons of Liberty vol 1.

"This tax is lame, I'm dressing up like an Indian and dumping this tea off this boat."

"Hey guys! This isn't our tea!"

"Oh dang youre right lets stop and go home"

"Yeah maybe we should just write an angry letter"

"Yeah lets do that, but don't mention the King by name, it might offend someone"

"Yeah..."

Kinda reminds me of some of you guys.

ItsTime
01-04-2008, 08:29 PM
The rockers are coming out in droves for Ron Paul in New Hampshire and New England. The underground music in my area is a buzz about Ron Paul. Don't be surprised if you see a lot of tattooed pierced people registering as Rep in New Hampshire.

gerryb
01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
My point exactly.

I don't see the relation between the Boston Tea Party and putting stickers on CD's in FYE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party

By dawn, over 342 casks or 90,000 lbs (45 tons) of tea worth an estimated £10,000 had been consigned to waters of Boston harbor.[1] Nothing else had been damaged or stolen, except a single padlock accidentally broken and anonymously replaced not long thereafter.

In the colonies, Benjamin Franklin stated that the destroyed tea must be repaid. Robert Murray, a New York merchant went to Lord North with three other merchants and offered to pay for the losses, but the offer was turned down.

ItsTime
01-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I just laughed pretty hard at this one. Although I think there are different ways to spread Ron Paul

"This tax is lame, I'm dressing up like an Indian and dumping this tea off this boat."

"Yeah lets do that, but don't mention the King by name, it might offend someone"

"Yeah..."

Kinda reminds me of some of you guys.

ItsTime
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Nothing was damaged by putting a sticker on a plastic lining on the outside of the cd cover.

I don't see the relation between the Boston Tea Party and putting stickers on CD's in FYE.

Guymontag
01-04-2008, 08:33 PM

They are both forms of destructive Civil Disobedience. Admittedly Boston Tea Party was far more effective, but I was merely trying to impress upon the naysayers that these are the kind of things that work when changing a country completely. Our nation has to practically do a 180 to be on the same page as Dr. Paul.

VoluntaryMan
01-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Why not just place free RP bookmarks into appropriate books in your local bookstores? They're easily removed, if anyone objects to them, and potentially more useful and more portable.

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Why not just place free RP bookmarks into appropriate books in your local bookstores? They're easily removed, if anyone objects to them, and potentially more useful and more portable.

That's an idea.

During christmas I went to my main post office and just "forgot" some Ron Paul literature in there.

I just left. The place was packed...

txgirl
01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Not a good idea, destroying property (even if it is the plastic) is no good. :(

rfbz
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Why not just slip some liberty cards between the CD's? That would be a lot better than messing with property

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Not a good idea, destroying property (even if it is the plastic) is no good. :(
Not letting the country know who Ron Paul is a much worse idea.

BTW the CDs weren't destroyed. If you think about it they were actually enhanced.

BobSmith
01-04-2008, 08:47 PM
If the stickers are no big deal then you should feel comfortable telling the owner what you plan on doing.

louisiana4liberty
01-04-2008, 08:53 PM
It amazes me how people get upset over some little stickers.

I want some Huckabee rapist sympathizer stickers. Anyone know where I can get some? This guy is a pushover and you peeps are going to let him get away with duping the public that he is some kind of angelic preacher. This guy is the enemy. He's was partially responsible for someone's death. He just can't make the tough decisions that require integrity and principles.

:D

Guymontag
01-04-2008, 08:56 PM
If the stickers are no big deal then you should feel comfortable telling the owner what you plan on doing.

Boring... takes all the fun out of it. Let the youngins have their fun, I would do the same at that age. In fact I remember putting a Nader sticker on a cop car in 2000....

txgirl
01-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Not letting the country know who Ron Paul is a much worse idea.

BTW the CDs weren't destroyed. If you think about it they were actually enhanced.

Come on... think about it, people are strange & that could really piss someone off, possibly turning them off.

I just think it would be better to do as rfbz suggested.... IMO

Guymontag
01-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Come on... think about it, people are strange & that could really piss someone off, possibly turning them off.

I just think it would be better to do as rfbz suggested.... IMO

Sorry I still love all this stuff. Maybe the store owner might get pissed off but anyone looking at the CD's would probably have a laugh and it might mean support from unlikely places.

yongrel
01-04-2008, 09:12 PM
While I applaud the creativity of the act, I do not advocate the violation of property rights.

Just because the music is mediocre, it doesn't make it fair game for "vandalism."

Lucid American
01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I've put my Ron Paul Liberty cards into books at the book store. It does not deface private property and someone who picks up the book can either throw the card away or read it. I've placed them in Alan Greenspan's books, Bill O'Reilly books, Glenn Beck... you get the picture.

Hey now, that's a good one!

"Yeah..."

Hilarious . . . reminds me of this one about if WWII had been an online real-time strategy game. If you haven't seen this before (and don't mind bad language) check it out immediately! ROFL!

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_20057151.asp

txgirl
01-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Boring... takes all the fun out of it. Let the youngins have their fun, I would do the same at that age. In fact I remember putting a Nader sticker on a cop car in 2000....

Could go either way with people... but a permanent fixture may be extreme.

I am all about providing information to people in creative forms... hell, I got a "talking to" from my employments HR department because I keep putting slim jims in the break areas... :D

It's really not an issue... people just do what you feel is right to help support Dr. Paul!

Meatloaf75
01-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Long time viewer, first time poster here. I just had to speak up on this subject as it relates to something that has bothered me in past discussions. Specifically, the mainstreaming of the movement such as the issue of using the standard "For President" campaign signs vs. the "Ron Paul Revolution" or "Google/Who is Ron paul" images.

This is a movement, a revolution. It goes against the status quo. It goes against the establishment. It was the "revolution" and its quasi sub-culture image that made me look into Ron Paul in the first place.

I still run into people every day who have never heard of Ron Paul. These people see a " (fill in the blank) for President" sign and roll their eyes...because they see every candidate as a mirror image of the next one.

I was a Marketing major and I remember being impressed with the work of guerrilla artist Shepard Fairey and how quickly and massively his images spread in the late-nineties. He single-handedly made Andre the giant a posthumous Pop Icon. Suddenly André's face was turning up on T-shirts, stickers and people were wondering what this was all about.

It wasn't just Fairey's odd imagery that drew people in - it was the placement, the shear numbers and display of disobedience. It created a buzz.

Check this article out for some further details:
http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/06/22/fairey/

I understand the push to get Ron Paul more "Mainstream appeal" and homogenizing our image for the masses, but that will not draw people in because we are not getting the same MSM exposure. We must continue to march to the beat of a different drum if we want to be noticed.

The R3volution logo epitomizes the movement, its eclectic culture and desire for something totally different. These type of efforts (like the one that started this thread) should be encouraged and not shunned. Consider it OUR shock and awe. People will wonder why his name is everywhere, yet they've never heard of him.

So go forth and sticker and do whatever you must to fight the good fight. We should be HAPPY to provoke some people. By provoking them we open up a dialogue - and an exchange of ideas. This IS what will keep the movement going - not the mouse-pad patriots who are too afraid of confrontation. Too afraid to knock on the neighbor's door and say "I want to save our Constitution". Too afraid to stand up for Liberty.

I am proud to be part of a movement where someone feels so strongly that they are willing to take risks.

Enough, I must digress

sorry for rambling, but that felt good

Let me add this: wasn't that Tea we dumped in the Harbor someone else's property? Where is your sense of revolution?

aspiringconstitutionalist
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM

+1

Lucid American
01-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Can't see the image, can you rehost it at www.tinypic.com?

Done, though it's the bigger version. You can resize it accordingly.

File's named "Ron Paul flier"

http://i3.tinypic.com/6ynxbgx.jpg

Guymontag
01-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Long time viewer, first time poster here. I just had to speak up on this subject as it relates to something that has bothered me in past discussions. Specifically, the mainstreaming of the movement such as the issue of using the standard "For President" campaign signs vs. the "Ron Paul Revolution" or "Google/Who is Ron paul" images.

This is a movement, a revolution. It goes against the status quo. It goes against the establishment. It was the "revolution" and its quasi sub-culture image that made me look into Ron Paul in the first place.

I still run into people every day who have never heard of Ron Paul. These people see a " (fill in the blank) for President" sign and roll their eyes...because they see every candidate as a mirror image of the next one.

I was a Marketing major and I remember being impressed with the work of guerrilla artist Shepard Fairey and how quickly and massively his images spread in the late-nineties. He single-handedly made Andre the giant a posthumous Pop Icon. Suddenly André's face was turning up on T-shirts, stickers and people were wondering what this was all about.

It wasn't just Fairey's odd imagery that drew people in - it was the placement, the shear numbers and display of disobedience. It created a buzz.

Check this article out for some further details:
http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/06/22/fairey/

I understand the push to get Ron Paul more "Mainstream appeal" and homogenizing our image for the masses, but that will not draw people in because we are not getting the same MSM exposure. We must continue to march to the beat of a different drum if we want to be noticed.

The R3volution logo epitomizes the movement, its eclectic culture and desire for something totally different. These type of efforts (like the one that started this thread) should be encouraged and not shunned. Consider it OUR shock and awe. People will wonder why his name is everywhere, yet they've never heard of him.

So go forth and sticker and do whatever you must to fight the good fight. We should be HAPPY to provoke some people. By provoking them we open up a dialogue - and an exchange of ideas. This IS what will keep the movement going - not the mouse-pad patriots who are too afraid of confrontation. Too afraid to knock on the neighbor's door and say "I want to save our Constitution". Too afraid to stand up for Liberty.

I am proud to be part of a movement where someone feels so strongly that they are willing to take risks.

Enough, I must digress

sorry for rambling, but that felt good

Let me add this: wasn't that Tea we dumped in the Harbor someone else's property? Where is your sense of revolution?

You hit the nail on the head.