PDA

View Full Version : Zogby poll July 17th

Bradley in DC
07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Paul up at 1%. Other "upslope candidates" were Fred Thompson and Romney; variable were Huckabee and Tommy Thompson; "downslope" were Giuliani, McCain, Brownback and Tancredo.

Zogby: Clinton Builds Sturdy Lead; Thompson & Giuliani Battle for Top GOP Spot (http://zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1336)

On the Republican side, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, as yet a non–candidate, has climbed to the top of the GOP leaderboard, winning 22% support, compared to 21% for former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney remains in third place with 11%. Arizona Sen. John McCain continues his dramatic slide, from second place in late May to fourth place now, supported by 9% of likely Republican voters nationwide.

One in four Republican voters are undecided, about the same as late May.

The latest Zogby International telephone survey was conducted July 12–14, 2007, and included 396 likely voting Democrats. It carries a margin of error of +/– 4.9 percentage points. The Republican segment included 364 likely voters and carries a margin of error of +/– 5.2 percentage points.

Republicans July 14, 2007 May 20, 2007 Feb. 26, 2007

F. Thompson 22% 10% 7%

Giuliani 21% 26% 29%

Romney 11% 10% 9%

McCain 9% 13% 20%

Huckabee 5% 4% 7%

Brownback 2% 3% 4%

Hunter 1% 1% 1%

Tancredo Less than 1% 1% 1%

T. Thompson Less than 1% 1% Less than 1%

Paul 1% Less than 1% Less than 1%

Gilmore Less than 1% Less than 1% Less than 1%

Hagel Less than 1% Less than 1% Less than 1%

Someone else 2% 4% 4%

Not sure 25% 26% 19%

Thompson Winning Hearts in the Heartland

Republican Fred Thompson has built his tiny lead on strength of support in the South, from which he hails, and the Midwest. Rudy shines in the east, and Romney and Rudy are tied for tops in the West. McCain manages to eke out a third–place showing in the South, but is otherwise badly weakened following a bloody legislative loss over immigration reform and a spate of bad news about his campaign fund–raising woes and loss of staff. News reports have his campaign contracting to three key states – Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.

Thompson’s strongest appeal comes from those who consider themselves to be “very conservative,” as 35% in that group said they favored the former Tennessee Senator–turned–actor. Giuliani finished a distant third in that group, followed by Romney and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. McCain finishes fifth among very conservative voters.

Among mainline conservatives – the largest subgroup of GOP voters – Giuliani wins 21%, compared to 20% for Thompson, 13% for Romney, and 12% for McCain.

However, those who support Giuliani and Thompson are also those Republicans who said they are most likely to change their minds before they vote in their state primary or caucus.

For a detailed methodological statement on this survey, please visit:
http://www.zogby.com/methodology/readmeth.dbm?ID=1200

shrugged0106
07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I actually was one of those polled.

ThePieSwindler
07-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Online or on the phone? i was polled recently too on the phone (not sure if it was by zogby), and they had Ron Paul included under "other" but atually had Fred Thompson in the poll... and Jim Gilmore (this was right before he dropped out, but still). Rigged much?

drinkbleach
07-17-2007, 04:03 PM

So tell us how the polls actually work? How fair (or not) are these polls? Was it a landline or cell phone?

shrugged0106
07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
So tell us how the polls actually work? How fair (or not) are these polls? Was it a landline or cell phone?

Mine was via an email they sent me and a link to the survey.

It was very long, I think roughly 30 or more detailed questions covering most things that had nothing to do with politics let alone the 2008 Presidential race. Lots of demographic "put me in a box" type of questions that seemed silly.

The pertinent question was simply...which candidate will you vote for in the 2008 Presidential election (or very similar wording).

I signed up for Zogby over a month ago and that was the first poll they sent me that related to politics. oh, they asked if I had a landline. I dont

qednick
07-17-2007, 04:51 PM
I signed up for Zogby about 2 months ago and have only been given 2 surveys to fill out (via email/web). I was not given the opportunity to do this survey or any other asking me who I'd vote for.

torchbearer
07-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I was polled online too via email invite... i don't think they do a straight poll where everyone's responses count. for instance, i'm still registered libertarian, so they may only include a small percent of libertarains or none at all.

Sematary
07-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I just signed up for Zogby polls. I want to have my say, too. I've never been called and I'm 45 years old and had the same phone number forever and vote in every election. I feel left out.

Sematary
07-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I was polled online too via email invite... i don't think they do a straight poll where everyone's responses count. for instance, i'm still registered libertarian, so they may only include a small percent of libertarains or none at all.

are you planning on registering Republican for the primaries?

Sematary
07-17-2007, 05:13 PM
I signed up for Zogby about 2 months ago and have only been given 2 surveys to fill out (via email/web). I was not given the opportunity to do this survey or any other asking me who I'd vote for.

I think we ALL need to register and hopefully, we can have an impact on the next poll. :-)

ThePieSwindler
07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
are you planning on registering Republican for the primaries?

Louisiana is an open primary, I believe.

Sematary
07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Louisiana is an open primary, I believe.

nice. you can only vote in one or the other though, right?

jorlowitz
07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
I think all of this skepticism about the polls being rigged is not taking into account the nature of national polling organizations. First of all, look at the numbers: 364 likely republican voters. That's out of nearly 300,000,000 people. In other words, if you weren't called... join the club. Of course, the proportions are less if you take into account the people who are actually registered with Zogby and it might only be 100,000. Still, the odds of any one individual being contacted and surveyed are pretty low. AND THIS FORUM GOT 1! I think it's somewhat inherent in these polls and large media companies that they react slowly to trends. They will respond to popular support, but it will not necessarily be overnight, and it certainly won't be with the swiftness that hard-core supporters would like. That doesn't mean it's rigged, though...