PDA

View Full Version : Re-hash of my rant and taking it to the next level

DjLoTi
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
OK guys, last night I just kind of let it all out with this post:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=74135

That was yesterday, and today there's 49 states left to hold elections. IMO, we're going to need to push for every last one of them all the way until May.

Let me summarize a bit my post from yesterday...

Many of the main guys of the campaign are former members of the libertarian party or from RP's presidential run of 1988. However if I'm going to ask exactly what happened in Iowa, here's who I'm going to ask:

Joe Seehusen, former Iowa state coordinator (from August) and now national campaign coordinator, also the former head of the libertarian party. He ran for the libertarian party in 1996 in Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections%2 C_1998#Iowa).
Drew Ivers, "Ivers also has sustained battle wounds from working in the political trenches while campaigning for Ronald Reagan in 1980 and serving as Iowa state campaign chairman for Pat Robertson in 1988 and Pat Buchanan in 1996 and 2000"
Source: http://www.iowaindependent.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1203

And here's what I'm going to ask:
1 - What was the expected turnout for RP, and how did the numbers compare to the estimates
2 - What was done in Iowa that could be considered a 'major milestone' to help propel RP's standing at the polls
3 - If you could do it all over again, starting since Drew Iver's took over the role of Iowa state coordinator from Joe Seehusen, what would you do? How could it be applied to other states?
4 - Why was there only 1 person representing the Iowa campaign? How many people are hired in Iowa, who are they, and what do they do? Are they effective? What did they do that worked, and didn't work? How is this going to be applied to other states?
5 - How did the status of the Iowa campaign look like before and after Drew's take-over?
6 - What was the 'plan to win Iowa' when the 12M fundraising goal was acheived, how was it implemented, and what was the feedback/results?

I'm not expecting answers, and I don't really want them. These are the questions the campaign should be asking themselves.

Immediate problems? I can name a couple
1 - Miscommunication between the staff and the grassroots on the dozen or so grassroots phone banking projects, which from what I understand, was turning off voters 'in the hundreds per hour'
2 - Ineptness from the campaign for not holding a back-up drive of information of all the precinct captains, because, from my understanding, the HD (or w/e was holding the information) was all lost except for only about 300 people ( vs. #s of people in the 1,000s )

And that's without really looking and not including strategic mistakes.

Only 16% of republicans in Iowa voted, which boils down to about 5% of the population of Iowa. Ron Paul cures apathy, but apparently not enough. Huckabee has been running ads for at least a month with much less fundraising. Ron Paul spent very little time campaigning in Iowa.

The question is, now what do we do? And what do we look forward to?

1 - The campaign had a really good 'Troops support Ron Paul' commercial. They need 3-4 more and they need to pump these out nationwide.
2 - The grassroots needs to get realistic as well as more organized. We have already started moving forward with the 'grassroots advisory board' or w/e you want to call it, and it has *already* proved effective ( stopped the destructive Call4Paul calls, clarified communication )
3 - The campaign needs to either hire new staff OR ... Actually there is no or. I'm not saying they should fire anybody, but should Joe Seehusen be the campaign coordinator? He doesn't look qualified to me, but ....
4 - The main staff should show us why they are employed. We should have our heads spinning with all the things they pump out. This is a non-profit corp, so they should be dumping projects so much we should not be able to keep up with them. We should see direct results from the main players on the staff.
5 - A serious evaluation needs to be done of the staff, all staff, everywhere.
6 - The campaign needs to start selling their candidate and their philosophies. Since they haven't been doing that yet (new ad excluded) (I also include having more GOP big players and insiders being sold on the RPrevolution), they need to hire someone who can.
7 - The grassroots needs to find the enemy and kill it. Right now, Obama is literally our enemy, but the registration process is coming up late, we don't have much time. Why is Obama the threat? Because he's the 'change' candidate that people are falling in love with, and since the word republican is repugnant, the average disenfranchised American is very actively being competed with by Obama.
8 - The grassroots needs to sell better. We need to learn how to talk to our neighbhors. We need to act like voting Ron Paul is like winning the lottery. We need to figure out the solid points of Ron Paul, which is nothing like www.RonPaulfacts.com. You could start by saying the war on drugs and the war in Iraq has cost the country around 1.2 trillion dollars combined, which equal out to about $4,000 for every man, woman, child, and illegal immigrant in the country.
9 - We need to consolidate. The grassroots is everywhere, like an uncontrollable mob. The GAB is running smooth now and hopefully it'll pick up steam, so that is looking to be more effective.
10 - There needs to be crystal-clear communication from the official staff. We need to work together. We need to know exactly what they legally can and can't do. I hear so much, 'the legal ramifications'. Does anyone even know exactly what that means? They should figure it out. Joseph Becker, the chief legal counsel and policy director needs to write up SOMETHING to give out to his staff so they simply and clearly understand EXACTLY what they can and can-not do.

There is still hope. The problem is, with each win that is not RP, some other candidate gains momemtum. It just makes it that much harder for the underdog to come out on top. I think if things are done correctly, we can have a solid finish. Does that mean victory? How hard can the campaign hustle?

At this point, people are already suggesting a 'grassroots money bomb'. If this did happen, most likely it would be extremely clear what the money would be spent on. If it was demanded by the campaign to have the same amount of transparency as the blimp, there would be much less confusion and much less angst.

We do have to keep working harder, but holding signs isn't going to do it. You've got to go door-to-door, or person-to-person ( like at a concert ), and convince the other (in the case of Iowa) 95% of the population that does not vote that they must vote Ron Paul or they're not going to win the lottery ( you get what I'm saying )

We need to be pro-active and effective, and we definitely shouldn't be fighting with each other.

I'm a grassroots leader. I've been in since the beginning. I have over 3,000 posts (lol)(don't post as much lately). People who come in with 400 posts and say they don't trust me and think I'm 'up to something' or something, need to get over it.

Now is the time for the leaders to lead. It is also time for the followers to follow. If we are all leaders, then we have no followers. Without followers, there are effectively no leaders.

This is my call to everyone out there to step their game up massively. Demand more from the campaign. Demand more from yourself. Do what you're good at and get it done. If we can do that, we can win the election. If we can't, we will earn what we deserve.

Chaos.

Richandler
01-04-2008, 05:39 PM
So the Call4Paul thing may have been a very large factor in bad voter turn out? Huh.

DjLoTi
01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, because they were calling precinct captains 10-15 times a day. The real problem is that they were given the go-ahead by the Iowa HQ, which was a mistake on their part. However, blame is to be shared to both parties. The Call4Paul guys got it cleared out and fixed it quick once the Iowa HQ told them to stop. But that didn't happen until ghemminger took the initiative to fix the problem. So, that's that.

Redcard
01-04-2008, 05:57 PM
We have 31 days until Super Duper Tuesday.

On that day, if we do not score in higher than 3rd place, we are effectively out of this campaign. To come from behind with over 40% of the delegates chosen would be impossible. At that point, if we go independant, the two parties who enjoy not having a third party in will rip us down to just below the 5% total so we don't get FEC and move on with each other.

31 days and 20 of them are workdays. It takes a week or two of lead time to purchase an adblock on a TV station or radio station. I'd imagine that would be after the ad is delivered . So, if we're going to restaff, then we're going to have to do it in under a week.

Do you see that happening?

DjLoTi
01-04-2008, 05:57 PM
***Edit***
It was not only the Call4Paul, but about a dozen phone banking projects.

aravoth
01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Do you see that happening?

It's not going to happen, it was never going to happen.

DjLoTi
01-04-2008, 06:02 PM
It's not going to happen, it was never going to happen.

OK George Stephonopolopugus

aravoth
01-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Wasn't even talking to you.

DjLoTi
01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Neither was George Stephonopolopugus

aravoth
01-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Neither was George Stephonopolopugus

Whatever dude.

So whats your master plan to save the day? Have George come in here and spew more BS that isn't true all over these forums?

Lord Xar
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
DJLOTI,

Your post is sorta divisive in that you have made reference several times to "Call4Paul" insinuating some very bad things. So much so, that some dude just posts and makes an insinuation that we cost thousands of votes.

I mean really.

This was already hashed out. The CALL4PAUL campaign was not responsible. Infact, there were numerous programs going on. I am not sure why you are assuming otherwise.

Infact, george made a post and said (EXCEPT CALL4PAUL). So, can you please edit your post to reflect this.
I was told in the exact terms as "YOUR LEAD LISTS ARE GOLD! Your lead lists are better than any we have gotten from anywhere. They are gold!"

We have been calling Iowa for a bit, and to assume that "all of a sudden calls" turned off a bunch of supporters is rather ridiculous. I mean really.

Please edit your post to reflect such or else PM me specifics because at this moment, I am getting irritated with the naysayers insinuating that calling on the day of the caucus caused sooo many issues. Did Call4Paul also corrupt the database? I mean seriously.

Lord Xar
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
***Edit***
It was not only the Call4Paul, but about a dozen phone banking projects.

Then you should edit your original post as you make it sound like "we" were the only ones.

Also, we call ONCE - a number IS ONLY CALLED ONCE BY US. WE DO NOT MAKE MULTIPLE CALLS!!

slantedview
01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
i'm sure the call4paul comment was a mistake.

as for the grassroots advisory board, i liked the idea and supported it, so long as the board actually has a direct line of communication (so to speak) with the campaign. through such an entity, we could exert influence on the campaign to deliver results and let them know we hold them accountable for all the money we've given - much in the spirit of free markets.

driller80545
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
ok, so I'm follower. Tell me what to do right now that will make news and get Dr. Paul noticed. I am kinda crazy and will do most anything. I already know about door to door, but I live in a very small town. Lead me. I am serious.

aravoth
01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
ok, so I'm follower. Tell me what to do right now that will make news and get Dr. Paul noticed. I am kinda crazy and will do most anything. I already know about door to door, but I live in a very small town. Lead me. I am serious.

Hang in there, someone will be here any second to tell you exactly what is wrong with the campaign, how horrible they run things. Other than that you are on your own. I wouldn't expect too many solutions, except "grassroots moneybombs" and other assorted crap.

OptionsTrader
01-04-2008, 06:26 PM
DjLoTi ,

You and George need to stop this childish ranting nonsense.

Get positive or get the hell out of the way.

It is not your job to micromanage the campaign.

It is not your job to elect yourself grand critic of the campaign.

Get over yourselves you and george.

Join http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

Get aligned with the campaign not constantly fight against it.

Get your precinct fully behind Paul, that is your job.

RiverRat
01-05-2008, 05:33 AM
I responded to your earlier post with some suggestions here Loti:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=824594&posted=1#post824594

constituent
01-05-2008, 05:51 AM

ride back and forth on the ferry and hand out RP lit to your very captive audience.... PM me if you want to do it some weekend,
i'll load up the fam and we'll come down.

good to see you again driller!

Revolution9
01-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Whatever dude.

So whats your master plan to save the day? Have George come in here and spew more BS that isn't true all over these forums?

Tweedle Dee and Twiddle Thumbs dash about madly with seltzer bottles running into walls and each other. Each time they do there are major congratulations offered. How amusing. Then they get drunk.

Randy

bc2208
01-05-2008, 06:36 AM

You are a jerk. Regardless of what you feel about the official campaign, I didn't hear them crying last night about what a failure Iowa was. To get 10% of a rural, evangelical, status-quo populace voting for a man who was literally a "no-name" in May, is amazing.

Couple it with the facts that we were 3% out of third place, that NH is much friendlier territory, and that Iowa's process is not conducive to an anti-establishment campaign.

We have a great chance to do well in NH and SC. I don't want to hear any more whining and ranting out of anyone. Constructive criticism, not destructive pessimism.

Grow up.