PDA

View Full Version : Become a Superdelegate to the convention, elect Ron Paul as our nominee

Bradley in DC
07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
All of us need to do everything we can support Dr. Paul's efforts to get the Republican nomination. In addition to our other efforts, I strongly urge us to grab as many delegates to the Republican presidential nominating convention as possible.

In addition to the "elected" delegates to the convention (chosen by primaries, etc.), there are "unelected" or "bonus" or "superdelegates" that vote on the nominee as well. The rules on this are a bit varied and complex, so I won't go into any detail here except that I have one idea for us to prepare for now, and another for later.

These superdelegates include Republican elected officials such as governors, congressmen, etc. The others are Republican Party officials that will also be chosen (I think in all places) during the primaries, etc.

So, in addition to getting Dr. Paul as many elected delegates as possible, we need to make sure that one of us runs for each of the party offices that get a vote on the presidential nominee.

Please check out this site for state-specific information:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/

For example, in DC where I live, we need make sure we not only submit our petitions for the 16 elected delegate candidates and 16 alternate delegate candidates (equal number of genders by RNC by-laws) but also the two party offices!

For DC:
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/DC-R.phtml

"In addition, 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman and the National Committeewoman (selected during the caucus) along with the chairman of the District of Columbia's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates."

In short, WE need to be the ones in the smoke-filled back rooms that are the powers that be! In some places this will be easier than others. If Dr. Paul has strength to win the elected delegates, we might be able to upset a few of the establishment ones too!

RP4ME
08-21-2007, 01:44 PM
:confused: I dont understand how one becomes a delegate in my state in VA - when I called the VA Gop they said it is usually someone who has dome a lot of volunteer work, canvassing , door to door in the past for the GOP - which does not describe me. Can someone explain how we as individuals would qualify for this and if we dont qualify how we can ensure delegates go to the national convention to vote for RP.

Bradley in DC
08-21-2007, 03:49 PM
:confused: I dont understand how one becomes a delegate in my state in VA - when I called the VA Gop they said it is usually someone who has dome a lot of volunteer work, canvassing , door to door in the past for the GOP - which does not describe me. Can someone explain how we as individuals would qualify for this and if we dont qualify how we can ensure delegates go to the national convention to vote for RP.

Hi,

Please send me a PM with your email address (and remind me the state) and I'll send you what I have for VA from 2004. Also, please check the thread on becoming a delegate (separate from the superdelegate one) with links to state specific sites. In short, work through your local Meetup group and let the campaign know you want to be a "delegate candidate" for them.

Brandybuck
08-21-2007, 07:28 PM
:confused: I dont understand how one becomes a delegate in my state in VA - when I called the VA Gop they said it is usually someone who has dome a lot of volunteer work, canvassing , door to door in the past for the GOP - which does not describe me.
That's the way it is for most states. If you just recently re-registered Republican, you don't have a chance to be a superdelegate. And why should you, if you haven't toiled for the party?

But if you are a long time Republican, have been active in the local party, done the volunteering and canvassing, and... support Ron Paul, then you have a chance. Instead of trying to be the superdelegate yourself, find someone who fits that bill and support them.

Bradley in DC
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
That's the way it is for most states. If you just recently re-registered Republican, you don't have a chance to be a superdelegate. And why should you, if you haven't toiled for the party?

But if you are a long time Republican, have been active in the local party, done the volunteering and canvassing, and... support Ron Paul, then you have a chance. Instead of trying to be the superdelegate yourself, find someone who fits that bill and support them.

Some of us have party creds! We only need one man and one woman in every state. I've recruited a few so far. The basic premise is two-fold; one, we're not conceeding any delegate vote for the powers that be against Dr. Paul, and, two, an actual takeover of the RNC and the party!:D

foofighter20x
08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
I can't find mention of superdelegates in the RNC rules. Is the guy that put that together reading from the DNC playbook? :confused:

Bradley in DC
09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Running for both National Committeeman or National Committeewoman to the RNC (and being an "unelected" superdelegate voting for Dr. Paul's nomination at the convention) and running as a delegate candidate for Dr. Paul simultaneaously is not prohibited by the RNC. They informed me this week that it is up to individual states to decide their own laws in such cases and they know it has happened previously.

I checked in DC and they have no prohibition on it. Obviously, if I were to run for both offices and get elected to both, then I would resign the delegate position in favor of one of the alternate delegates.

Our ability to run for both offices (state rules permitting) simplifies our task here immensely.

Bradley in DC
10-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I can't find mention of superdelegates in the RNC rules. Is the guy that put that together reading from the DNC playbook? :confused:

Superdelegate is a colloquial term for the unelected delegates: the three party official slots (state party chair, National Committeeman and National Committeewoman for each state) and the ex officio delegates such as Republican elected officials.