PDA

View Full Version : I talked to my dad today..

gregharmon
01-04-2008, 05:04 PM
He said "I can't believe Ron Paul actually got 10% in Iowa.".

Regular people are seeing this as a "win" for Ron Paul! Perhaps a lot of republicans in NH feel mroe confident to vote for him, now that he's proven to be viable?

I have to admit. I was heartbroken after last night's results but then I remembered that when I first became a part of the revolution, I didn't expect him to do over 5% in Iowa!

I think everyone just got their hopes up, then had them crushed and over the next few days, they will recover and the "little engine that could" will keep on going...and going...and gong, straight to the white house!

This is second post on the forum, so forgive me if I betrayed any conventions, etc. :)

LivingFree
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
5th is a great position for Iowa. NH we're expecting 2nd or 3rd. The message is spreading.

angrydragon
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Very good.

Mandrik
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
For months I was part of the "he's awesome, but he doesn't stand a chance crowd." Then slowly I became apart of the "OMG HE WILL DOMINATE EVERY STATE!" crowd. Last night was a reality check, and after sleeping on it, I feel confident that RP is still in a fine position. We definitely all still have much work to do, though.

Ivanelterrible
01-04-2008, 05:07 PM
We got cocky because of fundraising success

Melissa
01-04-2008, 05:07 PM
great post thanks

Melissa
01-04-2008, 05:08 PM
We got cocky because of fundraising success

this is the best post that I have seen in oh forever and that is why we now just need to take it to the streets.

AggieforPaul
01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
2nd place in nh wont happen., Im hoping for 3rd

rollingpig
01-04-2008, 05:12 PM
yes, we need more posts like this

Kenso
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Regular people are seeing this as a "win" for Ron Paul!

I was somewhat surprised by this myself, but noticed the same reaction among a few people I know who are undecided. Outside of Ron Paul's core supporters, our results in Iowa were better than some expected.

Voluntaryist
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
hes catching on, im tellin ya!

forsmant
01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
A co-worker of mine was also surprised that he received 10% of the vote.

Micahyah
01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
My girlfriend said the same thing.

For a candidate that is written off as a kook, nut, etc. to get 10% in Iowa is shocking.

wgadget
01-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Not to mention the MEDIA!!! They're shocked.

VoluntaryMan
01-04-2008, 05:21 PM
The thing to remember is this: WY, NH, SC, MI, and NV all have more favorable demographics to Ron Paul's campaign than IA. Even FL is more favorable, demographically, than IA. If the good doctor finishes 4th in NH, this is still progress, and NOT a disaster. We can't pick the order of these contests, unfortunately, but a 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, and another 2nd or 1st place finish, in no particular order, in no way damages his candidacy, and actually puts him in a very strong position to take several even more favorable states (with the assistance of established viability and momentum, built up over 30 days of making fools of thew MSM naysayers) on Super Tuesday.

Ron LOL
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
He said "I can't believe Ron Paul actually got 10% in Iowa.".

Regular people are seeing this as a "win" for Ron Paul!
I've been seeing this more and more. Very surprising to us because we thought he'd do better, but to those who thought the Ron Paul Revolution was a fraud, it's a huge surprise!

coboman
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
2nd place in nh wont happen., Im hoping for 3rd

3rd place in NH wont happen.
I am hoping for 4th, because right now, the polls have him at 5th.

Micahyah
01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
The thing to remember is this: WY, NH, SC, MI, and NV all have more favorable demographics to Ron Paul's campaign than IA. Even FL is more favorable, demographically, than IA. If the good doctor finishes 4th in NH, this is still progress, and NOT a disaster. We can't pick the order of these contests, unfortunately, but a 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, and another 2nd or 1st place finish, in no particular order, in no way damages his candidacy, and actually puts him in a very strong position to take several even more favorable states (with the assistance of established viability and momentum, built up over 30 days of making fools of thew MSM naysayers) on Super Tuesday.

Great point. I'm hoping for 3rd in WY and NH. That would put Paul right in the middle of the other 5 guys, but with more momentum than some, and more money than most of the rest of the field.

Then we could be in position to do really well in NV, and be right in the thick of things in SC.

idiom
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
If we increase his chances that will be reflected in the polls.

Micahyah
01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
3rd place in NH wont happen.
I am hoping for 4th, because right now, the polls have him at 5th.

Latest poll from ARG has him jumping Rudy for 4th place now, and that's before the impact of the humiliating 4% Rudy got in Iowa sets in.

McCain's rise has led to Rudy's fall as the candidate that is perceived as being able to compete with the democrats. Expect Rudy to continue to fall.

I think we have a good chance at jumping Huckabee for 3rd, because even though Huckabee won, he doesn't have any ground game in NH, and he doesn't have support of NH Republican heavyweights. As McCain and Romney duke it out big time for 1st in NH, we could sneak past Huckabee for 3rd.

JMO
01-04-2008, 05:33 PM
People need to be realistic, Iowa was not a good match for Ron Paul views. While I am disappointed we did not do better, 10% is very strong for a candidate people thought had no chance. This has opened some eyes, hopefully we finish strong in Wyoming. I don't know why no one speaks about Wyoming.

idiom
01-04-2008, 05:35 PM
However we now have Obama sucking even more independents. This means we need to get a lot more Republican support.

deedles
01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
My brother-in-law said "he did better than I thought he would... I wished it would have been higher but I think it's okay"

So maybe the perception of others is better than ours is...

NoMoreApathy
01-04-2008, 05:56 PM
5th is a great position for Iowa. NH we're expecting 2nd or 3rd. The message is spreading.

Why expect only 2nd or 3rd though?

NH is BUILT for Ron Paul. There's absolutely no reason why RP can't win NH...it's the most Libertarian state in the country.

I'll stay humble, but unlike Iowa, I know that we have a chance to take NH.

voytechs
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm telling you guys this was a huge win for us. I didn't understand this before the caucus, until I took the time to go over all the numbers and statistics in detail and it hit me. We did awesome.

We got 10% of pro-bush/pro-war/evangelical vote, thats is a big feat! 29% of the independent vote (we really hit that one on the head), 54% of the anti-bush people (that is huge.) and we came in a SOLID 5 just 3 percentage points behind third place. This wasn't a distant 5th, this was a solid within spitting distance 3rd. In addtion, huckster beat out romney big time, and stole a lot of thunder for us in NH. Romney went all out against McCain. Chips really fell into place.

I think we did great. One thing that does worry me is all the independents that Obama got. We received 29% of the independent vote which account for 12% of the entire thing. Obama got 40% of the independent vote and dems. independent vote accounted for 20% of the entire thing. On top of that dems had twice the turn out of the GOP. This means that Obama got about 4 times more independents than we did. All those could have come into the Paul camp but they went into Obama's. I think that is an area we have to concentrate on. It could hurt us in NH.