PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Ron Paul County Delegates

JoelYrick
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I just wondered if anyone else here volunteered to be a county delegate at the Iowa Caucuses. My wife, brother-in-law, and I are all county delegates... I know of a few others as well. None of us were asked to vote in accordance with our straw poll vote. Hopefully, we can help our campaign this way.

I've been following Paul's campaign since early February and I voted in the Iowa Straw Poll in August. I've also been reading the forums for quite some time. I'm a little disappointed with our 5th place showing, but I'm still hopeful. If Ron doesn't win the nomination, I'll write him in or vote for another 3rd party candidate. I promised shortly after voting for Bush in 2004, that I wouldn't vote for the lesser of two evils again. I only did so after feeling blackmailed to by the pro-life issue. Never again.

Melissa
01-04-2008, 05:02 PM
great 1st post welcome

hawkeyenick
01-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm an alternate

JoelYrick
01-04-2008, 05:08 PM
hawkeyenick, did the GOP ask you to vote in accordance with your precinct? Will you be voting for Paul?

risiusj
01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm a delegate for my precinct.

jasonuher
01-04-2008, 05:12 PM
How do they decide which delegates have to vote for which candidate?

Is it possible for IA delegates to unbind after X rounds of voting?

If so, hopefully we can get enough RP supporters who are bound to someone else for the first few rounds, but then get to vote for him once no one gets a majority (likely so far).

JoelYrick
01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I'm curious as to how we could most effectively use our position as delegates to help Ron Paul. Do we go represent our precincts, then when we are at the state level, switch to Paul? Do we wait longer?

saahmed
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I am an alternate. The way I understand it is that at the county convention you will vote for people to send to the state convention. So, I guess if you have a lot of Paul supporters at the county level, you could send Paul people to the state convention. I don't think you have to vote for a specific candidate.