PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to HQ and all the Iowa apologists

hankpyro
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I am not a fair weather fan of Ron Paul. I have not met that person. I got too many chips in the pot to run now. The problem is not Ron Paul. It has never been Ron Paul. And I resent--deeply and bitterly--that a criticism of the Official Campaign is a criticism of Ron Paul. I am practicing great restraint to not flame on this posting.

I am nauseated by this excuse that Iowa is somehow demographically different from America. Oh really? If we cannot win in Iowa, what makes you think we can win in any other Great Plain state?

If the problem is the fundamentalist vote, why did we not score at least second place? It's not like we put Beelzebub on the ballot. Ron Paul is a genuine Christian and a true christian. Did the people of Iowa know that? Do they know that he is committed to the welfare of the unborn and has spoken out on this matter to not always approving crowds? The purported fundy distaste for LDS is not so great that they ran Romney off the ballot. Mitt Makeover got second place.

If we cannot carve out some of the fundy vote, can we hope to win in the South? The MSM does not understand the fundys and they don't care to understand them. They treat them as a monolith when they are anything but. I have fundy friends and I have grown up with fundys. The people who are scared of what may lie on the other side of the Hudson or the other side of the Beltway don't want to talk to fundys. They would rather ask Zogby what their opinions are.

Rove has scored with the fundys in the past by just talking to them. They are not monolithic but they share a common mistrust of the MSM (sound familiar?) They feel--often vehemently--that they are either ignored or ridiculed by the MSM (sound familiar?) We think that we are underground. We think we have a grassroots movement. Folks, they were underground and grassroot before those words became popular.

We can win the fundy vote. We could have anyway. Had we talked to them.

A few misconceptions about fundys.

1. They are stupid. Richard Dawkins can squawk all he wants but I disagree with him.

2. They are monolithic. Pat Robertson could not carry THE EVANGELICAL VOTE in Mississippi in 1988. Pat Robertson lost in 1988 because he overestimated the unity of the the fundamentalist voter. Which brings us to our next point.

3. Fundamentlists crave a theocracy. Not most of them. Pat Robertson is not the only candidate to fall on his face because he overplayed the God card. Most fundamentalists sound like Ron Paul supporters---hell, they sound like Ron Paul himself--when they discuss the constitution and the role of religion in a secular government.

4. They are unapproachable. They are as open and as friendly as anyone out there. They even talk to Carl Rove for crying out loud.

5. Fundys are somehow different from the rest of us. Fundys spend most of their time struggling to pay taxes. They spend the rest of their time trying to pay for frivolities like mortgages, food, education, clothing with the crumbs that are left over from their first activity.

I have reached out to the Ned Flanders's in my life. Is the Official Campaign reaching out? I got the feeling that if I went to a Christian site or watched Christian TV or listened to Christain Radio (or even Ave Maria Radio for that matter) that I would not see or hear anything about Ron Paul. Am I wrong?

We should never have let Huckabee take off. But we did. To reiterate, Fundys are not stupid or monolithic. They recognize that Huckabee is petty, mean and STUPID! They would toss this guy aside for those reasons as well as the fact that he is unelectable if the Dems run a strong opponent. But we have to first offer them a better choice. We have the better choice. Have we presented him to the fundamentalists?

So I ask the officials who are running our campaign: Are we presenting Ron Paul to the fundamentalist?

squirrelbrewer
01-04-2008, 09:33 PM
That's an interesting take. I get the feeling that are quite a few atheists who support the good Dr. who have nothing but contempt for people who they consider are using crutches. Because there are a lot of people who consider them Christians that are utter hypocrites, they think that the vast majority of people who go to church every Sunday fall in the same category and fall into misconception trap #1 - that people who are all hung up on Jesus aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

IMHO, the only people that can turn Ron Paul on to the fundamentalists at the grassroots level, are the fundamentalists who are already turned on to Ron Paul. I'm not a fundamentalist, but personally I'm not too keen on handing out liberty cards in the lot....hopefully they see my bumper sticker and think to themselves "Who is Ron Paul", head home and look him up.

einjun
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Richard Dawkins can squawk all he wants but I disagree with him.
for any one else who may be reading, Dawkins is an awesome author - whether you agree with him or not.
His books have opened my eyes to a lot of things.

einjun
01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I could argue with the OP. I think the fundys would want some one like Bush - someone they can influence and pressurize. They wouldn't want RP because he can't be controlled. He'll appoint strict constitutionalist judges to the courts but the fundys would want something else.

liberty_Forever
01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Can we please contact HQ about this letter (while expressing our support)? Grassroots is HUGE. We just need to improve a few things.

rmholla
01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Well you would be right about there being atheists who support Ron Paul, because I am one of them. In fact my biggest problem with selling Ron Paul to other atheists is some of his comments on the issue of Separation of Church and State.

Rhonda
---
http://www.squidoo.com/Veterans-for-Ron-Paul