PDA

View Full Version : Free market politics

ronpaulitician
01-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I joined the Ron Paul movement fairly early on. I think it took me about one debate to discover that there was a politician out there who shared my view on the world in most aspects. At first, I thought I was just supporting a protest candidate; someone who wouldn't actually have a shot, but who would at least be able to broadcast fresh ideas into the US populace. Over the months, as more and more people joined in, and as more and more people in my social group started to mention his name favorably, I started to change my view on Paul's candidacy: we actually had a shot.

What I love most about Paul's campaign and this movement, is its strong resemblance of the free market. We've come up with many ideas to promote Paul's campaign, some successful (like the money bombs, which gave us not only the kind of money to continue our quest, but also came with plenty of media exposure), some not so successful (though I can't think of any unsuccessful ideas off the top of my head). The successful ones were integrated into our movement (the success of the first money bomb lead to an even more successful second money bomb; the blimp's early success lead to donations to keep it afloat a while longer) and some were even copied by the campaigns and grassroots of other candidates (see their UNsuccessful attempts at copying our money bombs). The unsuccessful ones were left behind.

Iowa was the first testing ground, and I think we got a solid 10% of the vote. Not a great victory, but certainly not a disappointing defeat.

New Hampshire is next. Let's continue to integrate the ideas and actions that worked for Iowa, and let's leave the ones that didn't work behind. Let the free market infringe on the government for a change!