PDA

View Full Version : Time to win over Giuliani supporters

Paul4Prez
01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Looking at the Iowa results and the New Hampshire polls and the rumors that Rudy is running out of cash (where do these front runners blow it all?), it looks like Giuliani will be one of the next candidates to drop out.

I think that after Thompson supporters, Giuliani supporters may be more open to backing Ron Paul than supporters of any other candidate. Rudy has been campaigning as a fiscal conservative, and has a pretty good record, at least by his own admission.

Sure, he's been strongly pro-war, like the other Republicans, but I don't think his supporters are all as gung-ho about it. I don't think they are the pro-Bush/pro-war evangelical types, at all.

Anecdotally, my sister-in-law was a Rudy supporter before my wife converted her to Ron Paul. She liked Rudy's fiscal message, and figured Ron Paul was a long shot. She is a small business owner, so Paul's message of less government is a good hook.

Any similar stories? What's the best way to win over Giuliani supporters?

Redcard
01-04-2008, 02:34 PM
With all due respect, Gulliani supporters are the ones who want more Patriot Act, More War, MORE government intrusion into our lives.

These are the last people we want on the side of an anti-war candidate. We've got a candidate who has supporters who hint that 9/11 is a false flag op. We're not going to pull the people who supported someone who has used 9/11. Sorry. Go after someone else. McCain might be a great choice. If you're ambitious, try peeling away Mitt Romney's supporters.

S3eker
01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Guliani's performance in Iowa does is no indication of how he is doing. He did not campaign there intentionally because it's a waste of time for him. Rommney made the mistake and blew $20 million. Guliani doesn't have the cash to do that. Iowa is a non factor. Huckabee will not win now, he's got the evangelical branding. On this election, that's bad.

Feburary will decide. It's too early to call any of this.

DealzOnWheelz
01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
actually guilliani visited IOWA on 10 more occasions than RP

and i forget where it was but i saw a poll saying that guilliani supporters are more likely to goto ron paul than any1 else

and why would anyone say we don't need guilliani's supporters? are you fucking kidding me?

JustAnotherV
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
- Iowa may not represent Giuliani. He may last some time yet.

- He has however fallen far from months ago and doens't look great in NH either. If he continues a downtrend through SC, he may be vulnerable to leeching off of as he crashes.

- As mentioned, a good chuck of his supporters are too hawkish and will not move to Paul. We might as well ignore them.

- Rudy does have some supporters who could be converted. Here is a rough profile of who (apply as many as fit):

1 - Not super hawks but happen to be socially moderate
2 - New York, New Jersey, etc., much based on familiarity
3 - Other % that is based a lot on name recognition and comfort rather than in depth support of views, some of who may not even know about RP
4 - Like that he ran a conservative city, or like his claims about taxes
5 - Like that he is not a strong scapegoater of illegals even if against illegal immigration as a whole
6 - Values voters not entirely convinced by endorsements like Pat Robertson
? - Other stuff I didn't think of

Remember tha tpeople see in candidates what they want to see. The broader the support the more varied the reasons for supporting him. Take advantage of the niches to steal some votes if you can. Leave the rest and hope they don't start endorsing each otehr too soon.

endwellmom4RON
01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
My brother was a Gouliani supporter until I educated him on Dr. Paul. He liked his stance on the war/terrorism but came around to the idea of non-interventionism pretty quickly.