PDA

View Full Version : Running An Ad In Local Newspaper -- It's Legal, Right?

daniroyer
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Hey all!

I'm trying to run an ad in my hometown newspaper (http://www.southdadenewsleader.com/) the week before our primary. It's too small of a project to justify asking for a chip-in, so I'd be paying for it myself. I was thinking a quater to half page ad depending on how much money I have. I wanted to run a full page, but the price-to-attention ratio probably ain't worth it.

I called up the newspaper to personally ask about pricing (yes, I know it's posted on their website, but sometimes it's best to deal with people) and to see if they have different rules about politics and such.

The receptionist told me she didn't think they could legally run the ad! Even if I make it and pay for it. I asked to actually speak to the person incharge of ads, but she won't be in until Monday. (I didn't even bring up RP's name until after she said it wasn't legal, so I can't blame it on bias.)

It's perfectly legal to run an ad pimping our good Doctor, right? I know it's been done elsewhere. Nothing negative about any other candidate...just a "Dr. Ron Paul is AWESOME! And here's why..." followed by all those facts we know by heart.

all4one
01-05-2008, 08:29 AM
IMO

I appears this paper is a private business whose goal is to produce and sell a local area publication which is promoted by local businesses and churches. They also appear to operate under their own rules/guidelines. If that be the case, the receptionist probably wasn't sure if a non-business & politically-based ad was against their "rules". (It surely isn't against the law!!!)

A little C.Y.A. advice! If you can get the ad published in this paper, just be sure to include a disclaimer that your ad is not affiliated with the Ron Paul campaign.

daniroyer
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
A little C.Y.A. advice! If you can get the ad published in this paper, just be sure to include a disclaimer that your ad is not affiliated with the Ron Paul campaign.

I already planned to. :)

Well, the paper has run political ads bought by actual campaigns before, so I know it isn't something they don't do. I'll know Monday if they run one for me or not.

hank reardan
01-06-2008, 07:56 AM
In Atanta I put 2000 flyers in my local paper it cost me $95.00. I had to supply the flyers
Doug www.crazyforliberty.com