PDA

View Full Version : Prediction Markets: The Paul Impossibility?

jorlowitz
07-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Prediction Markets ( "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_market") are very cool tools which allow people to bet on real-life events (like, the probability of Guiliani getting the Republican nomination). Simply put, people buy and sell 'contracts' and if an event comes true, the contract pays. They're just one more way technology is harnessing the "wisdom of crowds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_of_crowds)" and they have been remarkably effective; they have much more accurately predicted the presidential victor in the last 5 presidential elections than traditional polls. So what's THE PROBLEM...??

Well, Slate Magazine recently released their Political Futures Market (http://specials.slate.com/futures/2008/), which aggregates the three largest prediction markets (InTrade, Iowa, and News Futures). Of these, InTrade is by far the most comprehensive and trades with REAL money (whereas NewFutures is only play money). Yet, Slate has managed to... guess what? OMIT RON PAUL

That's right, even though Ron Paul is trading in 5TH place among the Republican Candidates with people betting REAL money on the campaign he's nowhere to be found on Slate (http://specials.slate.com/futures/2008/republican-presidential-nominee/)(Guiliani: 39.4, Thompson:33.4, Romney:16.1, McCain 3.9, and Paul:2.8). Sure, 2.8 only indicates a 2.8% predicted likelihood of Paul's getting the candidacy, but it's still HIGHER than Gingrich (2.6), Huckabee (1.0), Hagel (0.7), Tancredo (0.3), Brownback (0.2), TThompson (0.1), and Hunter (0.0).

Slate (http://specials.slate.com/futures/2008/republican-presidential-nominee/) even included Condoleeza Rice (0.4), and Jeb Bush (0.5) in the rankings! The real irony is that these markets have proven over more than 20 years to be less biased and more accurate than polls. Therefore, whatever concocted excuse Slate might have (i.e polling <1%), it has NO BEARING in a political futures market.

I let them know... perhaps you'll do the same?

Hi folks,

I'll jump to the pitch, since I presume you'll peg anything about Ron Paul's campaign as internet-echo gorged hype:

-Ron Paul is trading higher on In-trade than all candidates besides Guiliani, Thompson, Romney and McCain (G: 38.0 T: 33.4 R: 15.9 M: 4.2 RP: 2.8). He is higher than Gingrich, Huckabee, Hagel, Brownback, Hunter, Thompson, AND Tancredo of whom the only ones who come close are Huckabee with 1.2 and Gingrich with 2.5.

-Ron Paul has more Meetup groups, Youtube subscribers, and Myspace friends than ANY other candidate; he tops McCain in cash on hand, and he has a swarm of passionate supporters who are driving him out of the fringe and into a clear position amongst the top 5 republican presidential candidates.

-Surely his poll performance has been mediocre, but no worse than any of the so-called "second tier" candidates. Besides, aren't prediction marekts about harnessing the wisdom of crowds (internet crowds included) and not just those on Gallop's land-line list?

Thus my question... why is Ron Paul not in your market???

I'd like to see him not missing the next time I visit Slate. Thanks for the very cool feature.

austin356
07-17-2007, 12:44 AM
You have got to be freakin' kidding......... Never has anyone online been more blatant and obvious then on this.

I mean leaving someone off a poll b/c abunch of supporters link to that poll is one thing, but there is zero excuse here.

ronpaulitician
07-17-2007, 12:48 AM
You have got to be freakin' kidding......... Never has anyone online been more blatant and obvious then on this.

I mean leaving someone off a poll b/c abunch of supporters link to that poll is one thing, but there is zero excuse here.
Honey... bees... ;)

austin356
07-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Can you go short on Intrade?

jorlowitz
07-17-2007, 01:49 AM
You can 'go short' so to speak. You do it by selling share at a higher price than you think is accurate. If someone buys it, and the price goes down, you buy it back at the low price and keep the difference. Because they are contracts rather than shares you can't just 'short' them, but it's the same thing.

I've been playing around with their "play money" version and am way short on McCain, and... long on RP.

If you check out McCain's chart it looks like this \ and Paul's like this / . These markets are no joke, I think people will increasingly look to them for a take on candidate's chances.

Gee
07-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Intrade's market is very low volume... I'm not sure how accurate a small prediction market like that would be vs. a more comprehensive one. I'd still trust it over pundits, though.

jorlowitz
07-17-2007, 05:18 AM
Gee,

You're right that these markets are still relatively small, but they are still dealing in tens so thousands of real dollars and growing daily. More importantly, they HAVE proven to be accurate repeatedly in the last several elections and should become more so over time. Most importantly, Slate thinks there worth reporting on; and if that's the case (regardless of their accuracy), they are still committing an inexcusable act of exclusion.

I don't know what prompted your comment exactly. If it was RP's 3%, I think that's still a fairly realistic representation of his chances at this instant, especially considering people are putting real money on his campaign. If you look at his graph his stock is increasing daily and the respective rankings between the candidates seem to echo the poll results and media consensus fairly well. It's not a perfect predictor, of course, but it's arguably better than the polls and will continue to surpass them in accuracy as more people get into them.

Gee
07-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Intade, as far as I can tell, is actually NOT growing. I think it has some liquidity problems with how each contract is managed which effects this and the accuracy as well. But don't quote me on that...

jorlowitz
07-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Gee,

I wasn't aware of InTrade's liquidity problems. I had wondered myself about the feasibility of interstitial trading (between the 0-100 settlement). I still think it's important that prediction markets are gaining traction as a tool, and I'm not sure what a market's individual flaws has to do with excluding Paul.

Anyway, it seems the markets are just a little too small to be most useful. I think people will come around to trading and betting on these kinds of events, but not until companies make it more noticable and more user-friendly.