PDA

View Full Version : Question about Delegates?

Santana28
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
What happens to the delegates already awarded to someone like Huckabee or Romney, in the event that they drop out of the race before the election? Does it automatically go to the 2nd runner up?

Anyone know?

Esor
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I found it,

"If a candidate drops out from the race, all previously awarded delegates will be given to Ron Paul." -RNC

I lie (good question though).

Santana28
01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
LOL.

This could be very important. If Huckabee wins a bunch of delegates and then drops out, and the delegates go with him, then that lowers the total needed to win....

if they get sent to the 2nd place winner, then that changes things

Bern
01-04-2008, 01:52 PM
IIRC, the delegates are not bound any more if their candidate drops out. The delegates are free to vote as they choose, but historically, most vote for whoever their candidate endorses (which is why other candidates may horse trade positions on their platform to curry their favor).

walt
01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
What happens to the delegates already awarded to someone like Huckabee or Romney, in the event that they drop out of the race before the election? Does it automatically go to the 2nd runner up?

Anyone know?

I'm surprised you don't know the answer to this Santana...

walt
01-04-2008, 02:00 PM
LOL.

This could be very important. If Huckabee wins a bunch of delegates and then drops out, and the delegates go with him, then that lowers the total needed to win....

if they get sent to the 2nd place winner, then that changes things

this is a good point, but it doesn't matter right now as it's not something we control (and it becomes moot if we actually execute), the only things that matters is things like this...http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=74932