PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Elections Corrupted...as Usual

Nefertiti
01-04-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm flying to Egypt on Tuesday and won't be back in the country until Feb. 19. I called last week to see if I could vote absentee before I leave and was told to just print out the absentee ballot application and bring it in and I asked specifically if I could vote in person and was told I could.

Well, that was not "true." I put "true" in quotes because having researched what the rules really are in Illinois, I learned that what I was told downtown today was a bit suspicious. They told me the ballots weren't ready, but according to this document:

http://www.fvap.gov/pubs/vag/pdfvag/il.pdf

Absentee ballots in Illinois are supposed to be mailed 45 days before a primary, so there should be ballots available.

I explained to them how I had no reliable way to receive the ballot by mail in Egypt, and they offered me no alternatives. However, according to the above document, I can request the ballot be sent to me by email (or fax)! They failed to inform me of this fact.

Anyway, I'm going to request the ballot by email, and if I don't get anything by the end of January, I will be in Cairo then and will go to the embassy and see what I can do from there.

I really regret ever having switched my voter registration from California to Illinois. They are all crooks here!

walt
01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
contact Lisa Wogan and tell her to make a news story out of your issue.

Nefertiti
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I just posted this on the thread about voter registration over at the meetup group. If Lisa wants to take it up as a story she can but I don't have a lot of time for this right now as I have a million other things to do. I will just fill in the form and fax it today and request the ballot by email and see what happens.

DealzOnWheelz
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
don't have time?!?

I undertsand your probably busy but if this is happening to you how many others is it happening to?? By making it a story it will make people aware of what is happening and what they need to do to make sure their vote counts