PDA

View Full Version : I still cannot get over Iowa v.vent

Akus
01-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I cannot believe that we were #5 in 8/11/07 Straw poll and we are still #5 in 01/03/08 Caucus. This campaign is 80% dependent on grassroots and those guys up in IA really didn't have their crap together. There is absolute no improvement in Ron Paul's ratings in this state in 5 months that separate two events.

I don't know for the fact, but I am seriously suspecting it's because, unlike well oiled PR machines of Clinton, Romney and Guliani, our grassroots are mostly amateurs some of whom have never campaigned for their local railroad commissioner, much less a US President. They didn't know their audience. Some one here said that many people wouldn't care for Ron Paul immediately upon hearing that he is anti-war. Well, duh. You need to know your audience.

Did you see the demographics of the voters that CNN put out? Most Huckabee supporters would give two shits about Bhutto being assassinated. Hell, they probably didn't ever know who Benazir Bhutto was. So what are the chances that they would know, much less care about Federal Reserve, Gold standard and borrowing money from China to fight Saddam?

The message should have been that RP loves guns (true), Ron Paul loves Jesus (true) and Ron Paul wants a tall wall on the border to keep them foreigners out (true). I bet though that was not the pitch. I bet it was about Federal reserve, getting out of the war and legalizing weed or some such. The grassroots must have really not known the audience they were targeting. Because that is the only way Ron Paul scoring this low makes sense.

I had no high hopes. I expected 2nd or 3rd, but DAMN. And the only reason he beat Rudy is because he wasn't even in the state. I have a strong feeling that if we are to fail, it's not because Ron Paul isn't popular, it's because the grassroots lack any campaign knowledge or sense. I say that because I highly doubt that Hillary Clinton campaign staff would ever call anyone at fucking eleven o'clock in the evening to try to convince them to vote for her. How can anyone be this stupid to call people about Ron Paul this late?

What is really upsetting is not that Ron Paul's lost Iowa, but the fact that we give ammo to O'Reillys and Hannities. We prove them right, we make their point that we are nothing but a bunch of bored internet nerds and Moon landing conspirasists, who are too unruly to translate the money power and the supporters' power into what matters - a victory at the voting booth. We are supposed to make them look stupid and out of touch, not the other way around. This can't be another Ross Perot or Howard Dean.

/vent

P.S. I know most of you will probably tell me to go to hell, but I see so much stupid shit that I really am no longer certain that Ron Paul can win.

AMack
01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Technically we were 7th at Ames, since two of the frontrunners (McCain and Giuliani) didn't show up. Also, Fred wasn't in the race at that point. He probably would have beaten us at Ames too. So then we've improved from 8th to 5th.

The people who turned out in Iowa are not a good representation of the people we need to win the other states. We have the highest % of all republicans amongst independents, so that is an excellent sign.

What is most disgusting is that these people don't even realize Huckabee is the least conservative of all the republicans. He raised taxes more than any other republican in this race. He is more of a statist than a republican. And on top of it all, he uses religion as a tool to gain votes. I laugh when I see people saying that God chose Huckabee to become our next president. I don't know who God would pick, but I doubt it would be a pro-death penalty, pro-war, question-dodger like Mike Huckabee.

Our favor with independents will be great in NH.

Akus
01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
What is most disgusting is that these people don't even realize Huckabee is the least conservative of all the republicans. He raised taxes more than any other republican in this race. He is more of a statist than a republican. And on top of it all, he uses religion as a tool to gain votes. I laugh when I see people saying that God chose Huckabee to become our next president. I don't know who God would pick, but I doubt it would be a pro-death penalty, pro-war, question-dodger like Mike Huckabee.

Dude, you've completely missed my point. I am not saying that it's disgusting that some one thinks God wants Mike Huckabee to win. I don't give a flying fuck what some hick in IA thinks. All I am saying is that this hick should have been told of Ron Paul in a context that I've already outlined: Jesus, guns, foreigners, tax cutting. His brothers are either into politics or themselves are preachers. His wife is his first and only wife of 50 years. This should have been hammered to the audience. And if it wasn't then the grassroots did not know the audience they're trying to win over. And if we don't know our audience, then we will continue to trail behind John McCain and Thompson, which dumbfounds me more then anything...

Akus
01-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Iowa population - 2.9 mil
Ron Paul got - 11598 votes.

11598 votes - 11598 people.

You mean to fucking tell me that out of 3 million people only 0.399 % came to vote for Ron Paul. What the hell were the grass roots doing up there? Twirling their thumbs? For fuck's sake we lost to fucking McCain and he didn't even attend...... ARRGGGGGH!!!!

dblee
01-04-2008, 06:14 PM
are you freaking retarded? have you ever followed presidential politics in your life? do you know how the primary system works? are you aware of the demographics in iowa?

do you realize we were virtually in a 3 way tie for 3rd as we were only 3000 or so votes behind mccain? did you realize that the mainstream media has been praising paul all day for his strong showing in iowa?

don't be a fair weather revolutionary.

Richandler
01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Yah hearing about that Call4Paul disaster I think that may have cost us 3rd Place.

Paul10
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Akus
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
are you freaking retarded? have you ever followed presidential politics in your life? do you know how the primary system works? are you aware of the demographics in iowa?

do you realize we were virtually in a 3 way tie for 3rd as we were only 3000 or so votes behind mccain? did you realize that the mainstream media has been praising paul all day for his strong showing in iowa?

don't be a fair weather revolutionary.

Ok, I'll play along, I'm retarded.
Please tell me how any of this matters when the real election has passed and we did not win it? This is not a straw poll, this is IT. It doesn't matter if he is "only 3000 votes" behind McCain. He is still behind and behind McCain of all people.

Akus
01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
What the Huck? Everyone knows Paul isn't like Huckabee so the Jesus thing wouldn't work.

And I am the retarded one?:eek:

By the way, the campaign did talk about immigration.
Well why not?!!!!!!!!!!

Iraq War was the biggest. Thank you for making my point. Whoever ran this in IA must have been on acid. You can't NOT BE and run this kind of rhetoric to these people, that is unless they were trying to steal some Hillobama votes....

Micahyah
01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
And the only reason he beat Rudy is because he wasn't even in the state.

Actually, Rudy was in Iowa a lot more than Paul.

Vox Populi
01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I'll through my 2 cents in and agree with Akus, although I'm not quite as disappointed with Ron Paul's finish in Iowa. I do wish Dr. Paul would have done better, and I was expecting a 3rd place finish, not 5th. Iowa is a conservative state, and it seems as though the message of Ron Paul being a conservative didn't get through. If all focus was put on, "It's the war, stupid!" then I can understand why he did poorly in Iowa.

Iowans should have heard about his conservative stances on the constitution, his Christian values, his experience of 20 years in Congress and member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, the Joint Economic Committee, and the Committee on Financial Services, and they should have heard about Dr. Paul's stance on immigration, abortion, and gun's rights.

The focus should NOT have been on the war in Iowa, and there will be other states like that. I understand that Ron Paul's stance on foreign policy is important and Paul's stance on this needs to be made known, and it's important that it be tied into being fiscally conservative, but it's important that we get conservative and Christian votes in order to win the Republican primaries in conservative states. Focus would have been better spent on Ron Paul's conservative and constitutional views.

For the independents, The war issue is big and plays well. The independents also like the message of freedom, smaller government, and less taxes. Just don't forget about the conservative Republicans, especially in conservative states. It is the Republican primaries, after all.

I'm not trying to criticise the official campaign, the grassroots campaign, or anyone; just trying to figure out how we can do better is all. I wasn't in Iowa and so I did not see how things went down there, but from where I sit, I expected Ron Paul to do better in Iowa and I think there is something that we could have done better to achieve that. It would be nice to learn something from Iowa so that we can do better in other similar states.

OptionsTrader
01-04-2008, 07:04 PM
venting gets zero votes.

You want to man up and get some votes?

Get engaged, get active, and get off the PC.

Go here:

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

Get involved in your precinct and win it for Ron Paul.

Your precinct.

THAT is your duty.

Dax552
01-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Instead of complaining get your asses out there and knock on doors, write letters, volunteer, whatever. We were 3% away from 3rd place in IOWA. Yes, IOWA!! Let that sink in for a minute. Even the media is impressed, as is everyone I know.

We are doing well, but it's gonna take a lot of hard work to win.

xtravar
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
You should go vent on your myspace blog... that nobody reads.