PDA

View Full Version : The Bloody Road out of Iowa and the Icey Finger of Blame

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Last night we all watched as our expectations were crushed in Iowa, and today everyone is asking, "Why did it happen like this? Who is to blame?"

People are casting around and throwing aspersions on all and sundry, from the campaign staff to the media to the voters of Iowa. But no one is willing to address the most pertinent question of all -- what could we, the grassroots, have done differently? No one seems willing to engage in a little introspection and see where our fault lies.

Sure, the campaign bears some blame. We've all heard the horror stories about how they don't effectively exploit the media, don't actively court big name endorsements, don't coordinate well enough with the grassroots, and all that.

Ron himself bears some of the blame for not holding his staff more accountable for the poor performance thus far, for not working hard enough to streamline his presentation, for not spending enough time on the trail shaking hands and making his case to people besides his already die-hard supporters, and more.

But how many times have we in the grassroots found ourselves saying, "If we win it will be in spite of the campaign staff, not because of them! If we win it will because of us"?

Well, last night shows us just how far We the People still have to go. Last night exposes so many of our weaknesses. Last night gives us cause to look at ourselves for once and try to figure out where we went wrong.

I watched these forums last night as the results rolled in and our spirits fell, and what I saw shocked me. I read with dismay the comments of many posters on this board, and only shook my head at the naivete and anti-social attitudes on display here.

And no, I'm not talking about the "OMGZ! It's all over! I give up!" posts. I'm talking about the ones where people were cursing the voters of Iowa and blaming them for our failure.

I watched people ranting about "stupid cornfed hicks ruining everything". Well, guess what! "Cornfed hicks" vote too. They always have, and usually in much greater numbers than our current support base of young suburbanites. Moreover, most rural voters haven't even heard of Ron Paul, because they don't spend all damned day on the internet or sipping Starbucks in some trendy wifi hotspot.

They are the working people who make up the backbone of this nation, and indeed of the Republican Party, whose nomination we are trying to win, and if you want to win this thing you'd better drop the superiority complex and start courting them.

Even worse, I watched agape as people ranted about our elders, who have always been the people who are most politically active, saying idiotic things like, "I fucking hate old people", and "look at all these damned old people OMG".

Let me tell you something: If you didn't know that the elderly were going to turn out to vote on election day, you must have been living in a fucking cave all your life. It is axiomatic in politics that college students make a big noise and get in everyone's face in the run up to election day, but then sit on their asses when the time comes, whereas the elderly quietly go about their business, letting the politicians come to them, and then roll out on election day and decide who wins and who loses.

And if you think you can bring them around to our guy with an "I fucking hate old people" attitude, you are severely deluded and are no help at all to our cause.

Yeah, I've heard all the arguments about how old people are just selfish and looking out for themselves and their social security checks, and I tell you right now that it's bullshit. Those kinds of remarks come from the same people who "fucking hate old people" and think we can rely on college kids to get and vote for us.

If you want to win this thing, you'd better start showing some respect for the people who actually vote. You'd better become 'that nice young man who held the door for me and gave me this Ron Paul flier.'

But most important of all, so many people here think we can rely on Independents and crossover Democrats to win this thing for us, and last night just goes to show that type of thinking is idiocy.

This is a Republican primary, and it will be decided by Republicans. Sure, I welcome all the crossover and Indy support we can get. We love you guys and you're sorely needed, but we have to face the facts -- you cannot win this election for us all on your own.

Too many of you out there are living in a fucking fantasy land if you think we can win the Republican primary by just doing our own thing, looking down our noses at the average Republican, calling him a "rethug" or a "repug", and screaming "Neocon!!!!!" at everyone who questions or disagrees with us.

I guarantee that most of those people caucusing last night had never met a real life Ron Paul supporter before, and probably half of them had never even heard of Ron Paul. Why is that? Is it a failure of the campaign? Is it the fault of the media? Of course, but only in part.

We should know by now that we cannot expect the media to help get our message out there. We can't expect the campaign to do it for us, either. What we have to do, if we want to win the Republican nomination, is take over the whole damned Party, and we ain't going to do that on the Internet.

How many of you -- be honest -- have actually attended a Republican Party meeting or event in your area? How many of you introduced yourselves to the GOP officials in your county? How many of you have volunteered to be a precinct captain or a poll worker? How many of you have actually marched into the lions' den and made the case for Daniel?

Not enough of you, I guarantee it.

I'm telling you now. We will never win this thing unless more of you put your prejudices aside, put on a decent shirt and a tie, and go show the Republican Party activists in your area that Ron Paul supporters are real people with real concerns and real conservative values. Show them that we are the future of the Party and that they need to get on board with us if they expect to win the general election or maintain any shred of relevance in the coming years.

It's far too easy to look at them and make excuses and blame them for our apparent lack of success than it is to look at ourselves and ask, "What could I do to bring these people around?"

But the answer is easy, and it just starts with introducing yourself. I don't care what your background is or what feelings you've had for the Republican Party until this point. The fact is that we're not going to win the Republican primary without courting the Republican voters, so you'd better hold your nose and take the plunge.

Drknows
01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Dont think too much into it.

The Liberal and Conservative media is to blame. They pushed for a huckabee win.

Democrats want huckabee to win because he has the most dirt. The Glass Jaw!

The only issue Mike has going for him is his religion. And the conservative media picked up on it.

But after that he has jack shit to win on.

The dems will win by a huge margin if he wins the nomination.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Dont think too much into it.

The Liberal and Conservative media is to blame. They pushed for a huckabee win.

Democrats want huckabee to win because he has the most dirt. The Glass Jaw!

The only issue Mike has going for him is his religion. And the conservative media picked up on it.

But after that he has jack shit to win on.

The dems will win by a huge margin if he wins the nomination.

We all knew Huckabee would win Iowa. That was given, and it's not going to help much anywhere else, since he's put all his eggs in that one basket.

The real fight was for 3rd, and we got out asses handed to us by McCain and Fred Thompson. Fred fucking Thompson!

We have to look at ourselves and see what we can do better before we start blaming everyone else for being stupid brainwashed sheep. Even if they are stupid brainwashed sheep, we're not going to wake them up by sitting around and bitching about it.

evandi
01-04-2008, 12:30 PM
There are many factors involved. Some of those factors: Religious zeal of candidate, support of subsidies, are things that can't prop a candidate up in both Iowa and the rest of the country at the same time.

People will try to figure out what "went wrong", but it isn't always the case that things could have turned out differently without effecting everything else.

evandi
01-04-2008, 12:32 PM
We might also be forgetting about the "he can't win" vote. Which means that there might be a whole lot of voters out there who thought we were a Kucinich. A few new posters last night made that case. Maybe a lot of people thought we were in the same league as Keyes and Hunter, but we are not.

DRV45N05
01-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Guys, quit this crap. Quit it now.

I spoke with someone in the campaign today on the phone, and he told me why we didn't finish third. If you want to know the reason, PM me.

perpetualstateofwar
01-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Great post.

TheBaz
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Very sensible problem-addressing post. Well done.

Bilgefisher
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
What we have to do, if we want to win the Republican nomination, is take over the whole damned Party, and we ain't going to do that on the Internet.

How many of you -- be honest -- have actually attended a Republican Party meeting or event in your area? How many of you introduced yourselves to the GOP officials in your county? How many of you have volunteered to be a precinct captain or a poll worker? How many of you have actually marched into the lions' den and made the case for David?

I'm telling you now. We will never win this thing unless more of you put your prejudices aside, put on a decent shirt and a tie, and go show the Republican Party activists in your area that Ron Paul supporters are real people with real concerns and real conservative values.

There have been some bad posts and good posts in the last few days, this is an excellent post. Its time to stop whining, roll up our sleeves and get to work.!!!

Dax552
01-04-2008, 12:35 PM
We were 3% away from being 3rd in IOWA. Think about that for a second. In IOWA!!!

People need to stop the negativity. Read this article:
http://www.nolanchart.com/authors/articles/article.php?ArticleID=913

nist7
01-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Guys, quit this crap. Quit it now.

I spoke with someone in the campaign today on the phone, and he told me why we didn't finish third. If you want to know the reason, PM me.

check your PM

Drknows
01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
well we cant win without winning any early states unless he plans on going third party towards the end.

Its called momentum. We will be ignored till the end if this does not happen and we will not gain one vote.

WE HAVE TO WIN ONE EARLY STATE. or we're screwed.

CrazyRonPaulSupporter
01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
We were 3% away from being 3rd in IOWA. Think about that for a second. In IOWA!!!
]

Yes, that is amazing! Even the MSM recognize this fact. We did a good job, but we can always be better. And we will be better! This is going to be a hard battle, but we can make it. Moore boots on the ground is would help us for sure.

hard@work
01-04-2008, 12:41 PM
I think every single whiner needs to be tied to a chair with a gun to their head and this thread printed and pasted on their face for at least 6 hours.

Never give more than a shallow victory to the opponent. You lose only when you surrender.

dante
01-04-2008, 12:41 PM
well we cant win without winning any early states unless he plans on going third party towards the end.

Its called momentum. We will be ignored till the end if this does not happen and we will not gain one vote.

WE HAVE TO WIN ONE EARLY STATE. or we're screwed.

And since when did anyone think it would be IA? Mccain got 4-5% of the vote in IA in 2000 and still won NH so everyone calm down. Its also not even the end of the world if we don't win NH.... we just need to keep slowly building strength and support and momentum... the other candidates will start to drop off

paulitics
01-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I interpret the data differently. Know who your audience is! It's people who can't stand Bush, and are younger disaffected voters. The older people in general, like the status quo and will pick a status quo candidate. Its a fact. You can't squeeze blood out of stone. Obama was better in organizing the vote. He delivered. He also has the media on his side. We don't, so its an uphill battle. There are still plenty of untapped independents and disenfranchised voters.

paulitics
01-04-2008, 12:44 PM

I know, it seems so petty. If we captured 3rd, everyone would be hailing how the young people proved the media wrong and that the revolution has taken off, and Mrs paul would be measuring for drapes.

Drknows
01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
And since when did anyone think it would be IA? Mccain got 4-5% of the vote in IA in 2000 and still won NH so everyone calm down. Its also not even the end of the world if we don't win NH.... we just need to keep slowly building strength and support and momentum... the other candidates will start to drop off

Well i was hoping for a 3rd place finish.

I knew it wasnt going to be IOWA. But we need to place higher in the next few states and WIN ONE.

If you think we can win the nomination by placing third, fourth or fifth in every early state your living in a fantasy world brother.

We need the early states so we can pick up momentum and capture those undecided and independent votes.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 12:46 PM
There are still plenty of untapped independents and disenfranchised voters.

Yeah, but in many cases it's too late for them to switch parties and participate in a Republican primary.

Sure, NH is different, and Indies in NH are our bread and butter, but Iowa was the Lines at Torres Vedras, NH is Badajoz, and it's a long, long road to Waterloo.

Jake!
01-04-2008, 12:50 PM

exactly!

Paul made less than 30 stops in Iowa.
The campaign got in late and started with little money.

OhioMichael
01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I think that the original post is right. We have to convert the older demographic. Polls on this website show that we are considerably younger than the average voter and converting our friends is not enough!

Besides, the elderly are the ones who can remember a time before runaway government. I think that they will be very responsive to the message as long as you stress that social security is NOT GOING AWAY for them under Dr. Paul's plan.

Jake!
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
this thread should be sticked

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I think that the original post is right. We have to convert the older demographic. Polls on this website show that we are considerably younger than the average voter and converting our friends is not enough!

Besides, the elderly are the ones who can remember a time before runaway government. I think that they will be very responsive to the message as long as you stress that social security is NOT GOING AWAY for them under Dr. Paul's plan.

Exactly.

jblosser
01-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Great OP. Replies miss your point entirely. :-(

People, if you won't go out and attend GOP clubs and build coalitions and consensus (without compromise -- LIKE RON PAUL DOES); if all you'll do is wave a sign and yell about R3V0LUTION FTW!; then understand very clearly, you are not winning this election. All you are doing is waving a sign so that you can hopefully recruit someone else to go do your job for you.

Paulitic
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Great post, Spirit. Couldn't agree more.

mconder
01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Moreover, most rural voters haven't even heard of Ron Paul, because they don't spend all damned day on the internet or sipping Starbucks in some trendy wifi hotspot.

This is one of the primary failings, but you have to admit that Huckabee skyrocketing to the top in the few weeks just prior was all due to the MSN's new found love for the guy. They were singing praises to Mike Huckabee 24/7 for weeks! The same thing can be said for McCain's meteoric rise to redemption in New Hampshire these past couple weeks. All the MSN's doing. They wield incredible power!

pyrazole2
01-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Well said, Spirit.

And for every 'OMG, this sucks' post that was made, that's possibly one less flyer that could have been handed out, had someone taken the time to get out on the ground.

The number of posts you have is not going to win back your freedom. Maybe it's time to quit leaving it all up to a passionate few, now that we see just how many people we actually reached. With all the people who were lurking last night, we should have been able to send hand written, calligraphed letters to every voter in Iowa.

Please make your own best effort in this! We may never have as good of a chance as we do now.

mconder
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
With all the people who were lurking last night, we should have been able to send hand written, calligraphed letters to every voter in Iowa.

Too Funny!

Talldude1412
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Moreover, most rural voters haven't even heard of Ron Paul, because they don't spend all damned day on the internet or sipping Starbucks in some trendy wifi hotspot.

This is one of the primary failings, but you have to admit that Huckabee skyrocketing to the top in the few weeks just prior was all due to the MSN's new found love for the guy. They were singing praises to Mike Huckabee 24/7 for weeks! The same thing can be said for McCain's meteoric rise to redemption in New Hampshire these past couple weeks. All the MSN's doing. They wield incredible power!

They wield the entertainment of the masses. It's like gladiator, so long as they are entertained, they will love you. It is our place to bring them to us, and shake them from their ignorance, and ignite a passion for liberty in them.

mrchubbs
01-04-2008, 01:09 PM

It seems to me that the MSM attention to Huckabee came *after* he rose in the polls.

Granted the attention after the fact was what helped him stay there, but he was certainly attacked in the media quite a bit as well.

Jake!
01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
bump

inibo
01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
How many of you have actually marched into the lions' den and made the case for David?

It's Daniel. Otherwise, out-frikkin-standing post.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
It's Daniel. Otherwise, out-frikkin-standing post.

Oops... I knew that. :o

Thanks. :)

Melissa
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Great post and I will say that I have been doing all that maybe we need a thread that tells what people are doing with pics haha - I am a meetup organizer - I am now a precint chair- and have been to about 3 GOP events in my county and we are talking to them about joining of course I have done sign waving but trying to get a group together to hit Michigan up in the next few days since I am so close to their state

Gimme Some Truth
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Last night we all watched as our expectations were crushed in Iowa, and today everyone is asking, "Why did it happen like this? Who is to blame?"

People are casting around and throwing aspersions on all and sundry, from the campaign staff to the media to the voters of Iowa. But no one is willing to address the most pertinent question of all -- what could we, the grassroots, have done differently? No one seems willing to engage in a little introspection and see where our fault lies.

Sure, the campaign bears some blame. We've all heard the horror stories about how they don't effectively exploit the media, don't actively court big name endorsements, don't coordinate well enough with the grassroots, and all that.

Ron himself bears some of the blame for not holding his staff more accountable for the poor performance thus far, for not working hard enough to streamline his presentation, for not spending enough time on the trail shaking hands and making his case to people besides his already die-hard supporters, and more.

But how many times have we in the grassroots found ourselves saying, "If we win it will be in spite of the campaign staff, not because of them! If we win it will because of us"?

Well, last night shows us just how far We the People still have to go. Last night exposes so many of our weaknesses. Last night gives us cause to look at ourselves for once and try to figure out where we went wrong.

I watched these forums last night as the results rolled in and our spirits fell, and what I saw shocked me. I read with dismay the comments of many posters on this board, and only shook my head at the naivete and anti-social attitudes on display here.

And no, I'm not talking about the "OMGZ! It's all over! I give up!" posts. I'm talking about the ones where people were cursing the voters of Iowa and blaming them for our failure.

I watched people ranting about "stupid cornfed hicks ruining everything". Well, guess what! "Cornfed hicks" vote too. They always have, and usually in much greater numbers than our current support base of young suburbanites. Moreover, most rural voters haven't even heard of Ron Paul, because they don't spend all damned day on the internet or sipping Starbucks in some trendy wifi hotspot.

They are the working people who make up the backbone of this nation, and indeed of the Republican Party, whose nomination we are trying to win, and if you want to win this thing you'd better drop the superiority complex and start courting them.

Even worse, I watched agape as people ranted about our elders, who have always been the people who are most politically active, saying idiotic things like, "I fucking hate old people", and "look at all these damned old people OMG".

Let me tell you something: If you didn't know that the elderly were going to turn out to vote on election day, you must have been living in a fucking cave all your life. It is axiomatic in politics that college students make a big noise and get in everyone's face in the run up to election day, but then sit on their asses when the time comes, whereas the elderly quietly go about their business, letting the politicians come to them, and then roll out on election day and decide who wins and who loses.

And if you think you can bring them around to our guy with an "I fucking hate old people" attitude, you are severely deluded and are no help at all to our cause.

Yeah, I've heard all the arguments about how old people are just selfish and looking out for themselves and their social security checks, and I tell you right now that it's bullshit. Those kinds of remarks come from the same people who "fucking hate old people" and think we can rely on college kids to get and vote for us.

If you want to win this thing, you'd better start showing some respect for the people who actually vote. You'd better become 'that nice young man who held the door for me and gave me this Ron Paul flier.'

But most important of all, so many people here think we can rely on Independents and crossover Democrats to win this thing for us, and last night just goes to show that type of thinking is idiocy.

This is a Republican primary, and it will be decided by Republicans. Sure, I welcome all the crossover and Indy support we can get. We love you guys and you're sorely needed, but we have to face the facts -- you cannot win this election for us all on your own.

Too many of you out there are living in a fucking fantasy land if you think we can win the Republican primary by just doing our own thing, looking down our noses at the average Republican, calling him a "rethug" or a "repug", and screaming "Neocon!!!!!" at everyone who questions or disagrees with us.

I guarantee that most of those people caucusing last night had never met a real life Ron Paul supporter before, and probably half of them had never even heard of Ron Paul. Why is that? Is it a failure of the campaign? Is it the fault of the media? Of course, but only in part.

We should know by now that we cannot expect the media to help get our message out there. We can't expect the campaign to do it for us, either. What we have to do, if we want to win the Republican nomination, is take over the whole damned Party, and we ain't going to do that on the Internet.

How many of you -- be honest -- have actually attended a Republican Party meeting or event in your area? How many of you introduced yourselves to the GOP officials in your county? How many of you have volunteered to be a precinct captain or a poll worker? How many of you have actually marched into the lions' den and made the case for Daniel?

I'm telling you now. We will never win this thing unless more of you put your prejudices aside, put on a decent shirt and a tie, and go show the Republican Party activists in your area that Ron Paul supporters are real people with real concerns and real conservative values. Show them that we are the future of the Party and that they need to get on board with us if they expect to win the general election or maintain any shred of relevance in the coming years.

It's far too easy to look at them and make excuses and blame them for our apparent lack of success than it is to look at ourselves and ask, "What could I do to bring these people around?"

But the answer is easy, and it just starts with introducing yourself. I don't care what your background is or what feelings you've had for the Republican Party until this point. The fact is that we're not going to win the Republican primary without courting the Republican voters, so you'd better hold your nose and take the plunge.

Great post. The only thing we can control is our own actions. We need to realize this and put our actions to good use.

I think we could do with getting a collection of reality/advise/hope driven posts into 1 sticky and have everyone of us read it from the start to finish without skipping over a single letter . Its time for some reality, not emotional outbursts of doom or glory . Its time to step up and be counted! , not cower in the corner and give up. Its time to dig deep for freedom.

blakjak
01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
GREAT post.

arbnranger
01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Spirit,
Nice post!!
Although I'm disappointed with last night, I'm still feeling great about the Mountaineer victory.
I think if we all work together we call pull off a victory just like that.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks, everyone. :)

Spirit,
Nice post!!
Although I'm disappointed with last night, I'm still feeling great about the Mountaineer victory.
I think if we all work together we call pull off a victory just like that.

Yeah, we needed that for sure. :D

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
None of this talk means anything at all. Until we leave the GOP, Ron's candidacy will continue to lose. No ifs ands or buts.

Jake!
01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
None of this talk means anything at all. Until we leave the GOP, Ron's candidacy will continue to lose. No ifs ands or buts.

except there IS NO VIABLE THIRD PARTY

JohnM
01-04-2008, 01:59 PM

I watched people ranting about "stupid cornfed hicks ruining everything".

Even worse, I watched agape as people ranted about our elders,...

Yup. With you there, Spirit.

The results in Iowa were disappointing, but nowhere near as disappointing as a few of the attitudes exhibited on this forum afterwards.

Very sad.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 02:08 PM

This guy is a perfect example of what I'm talking about here. ------^

robatsu
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Good Post! Its the big leagues now and we have to get to work making our case to Republican voters. Simple as that - our immediate task isn't the presidency, but the Republican nomination and you don't win people over by vilifying them or their views.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Precisely.

gjdavis60
01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Well said, Spirit. What raises the bar even higher for us is that RP is not simply your standard neo-conservative Republican message in a kinder, gentler package.

We can't gain ground with standard popularity contest tactics; because it's not about our guy as much as it is about our message. And our message, more than any other candidate in either party, is about real change.

Frankly, change makes people uncomfortable. Even in the face of deep dissatisfaction, the prospect of doing things differently scares folks. So the job of this movement is not only to convince people that our candidate is credible, but to clearly differentiate our platform from the rest of the field and convince people that it best addresses the needs of this country and its citizens. That means you not only have to be able to parrot the message, but actually discuss and explain it to people. This requires understanding, sensitivity, patience, and diplomacy.

Tough job? Yep. Worth the effort? Of course.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Very much so, and I think an equally important factor is just they get to know us.

Some of them have heard varying things about Ron Paul supporters -- we're all conspiracy kooks, MoveOn.org members, etc. -- but they've never actually met a Ron Paul supporter in real life.

They need to see that we're normal people with good values who want the best for our country. They need to see that we're smart, enthusiastic, and aware of current events. They need to see that we are their neighbors, and we need to be good neighbors.

They need reassurance that this is not just a "fringe" movement before they can even think about coming around to our side.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
*Bump 'cause threads are moving quickly today*

Thomas Paine
01-04-2008, 04:17 PM
It's time to buck up little campers!

Thomas Paine
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
This video is for all of the whiners and quitters after last night's Iowa Caucus results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh0qD0aA2bY

familydog
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Wow. One of the smartest posts on the forum.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow. One of the smartest posts on the forum.

Thanks. :D

Brutus
01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
As a recovering Republican I was NOT happy about the thought of going to the county headquarters and signing up as a precinct chair. The Republicans have disappointed me too many times before to commit any affection to them. However, Dr. Paul is a once in a lifetime shot at changing the decline of this country, so I did it.

manny
01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
This is an interesting thread. A couple of points made that are good:

- We were close to third, we're now - in the only actual vote to have taken place - into double digits and it seems everyone not on this board was impressed. CNN called Ron's result "solid".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7offuHK3mZI

From the original post - Spirit made many excellent points. Most of all is to engage with the local republican establishment. Why do you think they joined that party? Cut taxes, smaller government, fiscal conservatism; these guys are hardly the enemy! Even on the war front many do (check the stats) want peace and want out of Iraq. Point out how it damages finances, creates more terrorists and how foreign interventionism is a Democrat policy. Put on a shirt and tie, hook up with them, be polite and we can go far.

Another point more generally is the older folks. It amazes me too to see the hostility to them. They are Ron's natural supporters. Theyw ill like him on a personal level - doctor, faithful to wife, honest, veteran, conservative, christian. They are also likely to rememebr the days before Clinton and Bush really started the push for socialism of modern days. They should be our no. 1 priority, We ought to try to get every old person out for RP.

Has anyone here tried going to an old folks home? Or to visit a relative in one and leave them some RP literature?

Minuteman2008
01-04-2008, 07:20 PM

You're spot on with this. I keep repeating this message in other threads. Then I hear crickets chirping.

The fact is Paul's internet base (on the whole) aren't Republicans. They hate Republicans. Republicans are ignorant, inbred, churchgoing, knuckle-dragging neanderthals who have yet to "see the light." Right?

If the grassroots has gotten Paul this far, and attracted a huge number of non-traditional voters, a course correction is now needed to attract Republican, in order to actually have a chance to win the nomination. But it is impossible to convince people Paul should be talking about anything other than pulling out of Iraq when they don't agree with the Republican base on issues like abortion and immigration.

Paul can't win as the anti-war pacifist candidate (unless he were running as a Democrat). Not in the Republican primary. When Paul ran an effective immigration ad targeted at Republicans the base called it "racist" and "collectivist". Immigration is the second most important issue for Republicans right now (Iraq 5th). Guys with crap records on immigration are getting more voters than Paul on that specific issue simply because they're campaigning on it.

Bottom line: keep being the anti-war guy, and he'll stay at 10% or less since he's already attracted the independents and Democratic crossovers.

Attract Republicans with a conservative message on abortion, gun control, the economy, and immigration, and THEN sell them on the non-intervention stuff is the way to get the Republican base voters. But I don't think the grassroots will embrace that at all. They despise average Republicans and have nothing in common with them.

But the current situation is like if Joe Lieberman ran as a Democrat as a stay-the-course-in-Iraq candidate, but had all kinds of Democratic talking points like government health care, eliminating tax cuts for the wealthy, strengthening unions or whatever but refused to talk about any of them.

Iraq isn't the only subject and Paul absolutely cannot get the Republican nomination based on that issue.

goldstandard
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
That was "THE POST".

deedles
01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
It seems to me that the MSM attention to Huckabee came *after* he rose in the polls.

Actually it was *after* his speech on foreign policy was posted on the front page of the CFR website as 'essential'. That's when the MSM started to report on him going up and the polls and voila! He went up!

hankpyro
01-04-2008, 08:13 PM
You said it better than I can, Spirit. You are right. There is plenty of blame to go around (looking in the mirror.)

To New Hampshire! And Beyond!

ProBlue33
01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree this thing is impossible win without the GOP baby boomers, they are still the biggest demographic, and they wield the most power, the sad part about this is that they have been brainwashed with lies the longest, that makes it very tough.

Young people are open to new idea's, just like Ron Pauls

Akus
01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Last night we all watched as our expectations were crushed in Iowa, and today everyone is.... .....the plunge.

thank you

I am so glad that some one understood that the 'roots are much more to blame then the Official Campaign. That's the point I was trying to make here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=814194#post814194

We need to respond to our audience.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks, folks. I'm glad to see so many of you see where I'm coming from.

Sometimes it's like Ron Paul's supporters just aren't listening to what the man himself is saying. He chose to run as a Republican because he represents a very important and traditional strain of Republican thought.

Benaiah
01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Last night we had a dozen or so new comers come to this forum and they ALL gave us a positive response to what happened in Iowa.

However, for every one of them that came on here and joined Ron Paul Forums, there were XXXX that saw posts bashing old people and hicks in Iowa, and decided that this place sucks and left forever.

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Last night we had a dozen or so new comers come to this forum and they ALL gave us a positive response to what happened in Iowa.

However, for every one of them that came on here and joined Ron Paul Forums, there were XXXX that saw posts bashing old people and hicks in Iowa, and decided that this place sucks and left forever.

True, and don't forget that what is said here has an impact far beyond what happens on this forum. Whether people sign up here or not is ultimately irrelevant, what matters is that this place gives them a feel for what Paul supporters are like, and they carry that out into the real world with them.

Everyone here needs to keep that in mind.

wildflower
01-04-2008, 10:43 PM

I could give you a big hug for this post. :D

Ok, I'm probably going to catch some flack for saying this, because Spirit of '76 has already been making the point, but I have to say...

People! Use your noodle. You aren't going to win supporters by viciously attacking and smearing large groups of people who VOTE. In fact, you're doing the opposite, it turns people away and it reflects poorly on the entire movement.

In the last few days, I've seen not only Iowans/rural people get bashed, but as Spirit said, the elderly, and also evangelical Christians and other theists (which, btw, is attacking your fellow Paul supporters on this board, since there are a lot of Christians here), Jews, and of course Republicans. And probably some other groups that I'm forgetting at the moment.

In case any of you guys have forgotten, Dr. Paul is running for the Republican nomination. Not the Democratic party, or Libertarian party. It is downright foolish to attack large groups of people we want to WIN over to the RP revolution.

As was stated in the OP, this can't be won soley on the 18-29 internet crowd, or independents. We need to work on informing Republicans that the GOP has been hijacked by people who aren't about true conservativism (The Rockefeller Republican and globalist types) and continuing to support the "lesser of 2 evils" is slowly but surely destroying this country.

Ok... I just had to say that. I won't hammer the point any further, as I probably made some people mad. ;) But we need to remember that these forums are read by outsiders who may be considering Dr. Paul.

And remember, the word 'love' is in revolution... what happened to that?

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Great post! I'm glad you're on our side. :D

Spirit of '76
01-04-2008, 11:02 PM
*bump for the night crew*

Bern
01-04-2008, 11:56 PM

Solid post Spirit. See first 2 links in my sig for ideas on reaching the Republican base.

Spirit of '76
01-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Solid post Spirit. See first 2 links in my sig for ideas on reaching the Republican base.

Thanks. Great stuff there in your links. I added my thoughts to your thread.

Abyss
01-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Awesome.

I agree.

Spirit of '76
01-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks. :)

losinglife
01-05-2008, 03:01 AM

Its the internet man... thats how it rolls. Relax