PDA

View Full Version : RP needs "The Speech"

davidkachel
01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
OK boys and girls; it's time for a reality check.
Yes 10% in Iowa is a good thing, not bad; but like others, I had secretly hoped for better.
But all of us need to face some facts, campaign staff included.

No one will ever refer to RP as "Mr. Charisma".
Whether we like it or not, a presidential election is more of a popularity contest than we would like to think and our guy is not that person. In this day and age Thomas Jefferson would have one helluva time getting elected... in fact probably about the same tough battle RP faces!

Americans by and large DO NOT WANT freedom. They want a nanny state. Therefore, although he has the right answers for US, he does not for most Americans. AND compared to the actors/liars he is up against, he is a VERY back row and VERY quiet candidate. The fact is that it is much much harder to sell truth, integrity, freedom, law and righteousness when you are up against flashy personalities willing to tell any lie and make any empty promise. I mean come on, how is it possible for anyone to be so gullible as to watch Hillary for 5 minutes and not know beyond any doubt that she is a liar and a fraud? Really! Yet, there are huge masses of Americans who CAN'T tell. (Don't think I am pointing to Hillary only. Except for RP and possibly John McCain, they are all frauds and liars.)

Anyway, to the point. If we don't somehow find a way to get RP an injection of charisma, we stand little chance. He is not going to start lying and making empty promises and none of us would want him to. But he needs a bit of that hollywood polish he is so seriously lacking. Ronald Reagan did not get elected on his platform alone.

Ron Paul needs "the speech". You know, the one that gets remembered and quoted for decades. He needs a "Gettysburg Address", an "I have a dream" speech, something to shock voters into realizing "this is the guy", and he desperately needs coaching from someone who can teach him delivery and to control the timber of his voice which unfortunately becomes high pitched when he is angry.

We can no longer afford to concentrate solely on the issues. Like it or not, that will not get you to the white house by itself. We have the very best "product" available for a presidential candidate in nearly two centuries, but we have forgotten to "package" our product and that is a serious error.

Opinions?

WilliamC
01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
While not going to be "the speech" (which he does need) Ron Paul might be speaking on Alex Jones at the end of his show.

Any recording of his Iowa speech last night? Any official campaign word at all?

What about this?

January 3, 2008 10:42 am EST

WATERLOO, Iowa - Presidential contender Ron Paul will address Iowa voters at approximately 6:00 p.m. central time at a Waterloo, Iowa caucus during the first-in-the-nation test of presidential candidates.

He will deliver his signature message of freedom, peace and prosperity to all Blackhawk County precincts, that will meet in Waterloo at Central Middle School. More than 2,500 caucus-goers are expected to attend.

Former governor Mike Huckabee and Ann Romney, wife of Mitt Romney, are rumored to be in attendance as well.

any recordings?

davidkachel
01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
No, no. I am talking about THE SPEECH!

The one where he buys prime time on all major networks and rocks the nation, leaving most of us with our mouths hanging open and the rest talking about it for days. THAT SPEECH! (ala Jack Kennedy)

rajibo
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree that he needs to come out with a well thought out, tightly put together prepared speech. A professional speechwriter would also help.

Voluntaryist
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I dunno about that. He may not have the "TV face" or the charming look, but his off-the-cuff speeches absolutely KICK ASS in terms of content.

Ron Paul doesnt need a speechwriter. He needs a makeup stylist.

RonRules
01-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Ron Paul always talks off the cuff, which is fine and great, but ONE good speech in front of a large cheering crowd would be great.

I'm not much of a speech writer, but can some of you guys help to draft one for his victory speech in NH?

Hey, how about a WikiSpeech? This Wiki stuff works well for a lot of things. This way we could all claim it's OUR speech.

I have reserved the RonRules.US domain and we could use that as a Wiki page to start off.

Anybody interested?

hasan
01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
we need one huge rally that will catch the people's attention.

rgampell
01-04-2008, 11:43 AM
RP has said repeatedly that he wants to win, but only "on [his] terms." In other words: same speech (no speechwriters), same message, no pandering, no regular politics. Could he walk the fine line between "professional marketing" and lying/pandering? Maybe, but he isn't going to try, so we probably shouldn't get worked up about it. All he'll ever do is get his message out, unvarnished, and if people support it, then he'll win. If not, he'll lose. That's who RP is, and that's a large part of the 10% in Iowa. He's consistent to a fault. Maybe he'll come up with a couple of new applause-lines, if we're lucky.

HOWEVER ...

People on this forum are not realizing how panicked the GOP establishment is right now. They DO NOT want to rally behind McCain ("Mr. Amnesty"), and Huckabee is only about a hair better than Pat Robertson. Establishment Republicans are trying to revive Romney, but if he loses New Hampshire to McCain, they may actually make a push for a big Florida/Giuliani comeback.

In other words, it's chaos.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think we need a market collapse (like, TODAY) to take the shine off Obama. If people start to worry about the economy, then Obama is hardly the go-to guy, and who on the Republican side has the most credibility on the economy? Hmmm, let me think ...

davidkachel
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I dunno about that. He may not have the "TV face" or the charming look, but his off-the-cuff speeches absolutely KICK ASS in terms of content.

Didn't I say that? But it is not only about content. Hell, it's not even mostly about content. Corn flakes sell a helluva lot better with Tony the Tiger on the box than they do in a plain cardboard box with nothing but "corn flakes" stamped on it.

What we have is the real deal, the best bargain in town, wrapped in a plain cardboard box with "president" stamped on it. IT AIN'T GONNA FLY!!!

I am sorry, but the American public is too stupid, too lazy, too indoctrinated, too ignorant and too interested in what's on TV and what's on sale at WalMart. If we are going to shake them out of their stupor we need more than just great policy and economic genius.

davidkachel
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
we need one huge rally that will catch the people's attention.

No, a rally is exactly what we don't need.
Preaching to the choir is not what I am talking about. And we can no longer afford to hope and pray the media will pay attention to us. They won't! A great speech at a rally would be a wasted great speech.

RP needs to slap John Q. Public out of his stupor.

davidkachel
01-04-2008, 11:55 AM
... In other words: same speech (no speechwriters), same message, no pandering, no regular politics. ...

Using a speechwriter is not pandering. If you are not a writer, you hire a ghost writer, unless of course you want to guarantee that your book won't sell!

If you don't know anything about advertising, you hire an advertising agency, unless of course you don't want your product to sell.

There is so much material in Ron Paul's writings and speeches that a good speech writer would have more than enough TRUTH to work with. Packaging truth in a pretty wrapper does not tarnish your integrity!

falsinator
01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I've always liked his speeches in Congress, and I think that they are prepared by him

Voluntaryist
01-04-2008, 11:59 AM
If we are going to shake them out of their stupor we need more than just great policy and economic genius.

So sad, yet so true :(

davidkachel
01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I've always liked his speeches in Congress, and I think that they are prepared by him

How many different ways do I have to say this?!!

YES, I like his speeches too. THAT DOESN'T MATTER ONE DAMN! What you and I like is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what JQ Public likes and those speeches put JQ Public into a COMA!!!

RP needs charisma and THE SPEECH.

hasan
01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
we need a speech writer. but i dont think RP has and ever will have a charismatic delivery style so theres no use talking about that.
lets forward the speech writer initiative to the campaign

davidkachel
01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
we need a speech writer. but i dont think RP has and ever will have a charismatic delivery style so theres no use talking about that.
lets forward the speech writer initiative to the campaign

I agree that he will never be Ronald Reagan. But to a significant extent charisma can be learned.

AtomiC
01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
davidkachel I never thought about this until you brought it up, but I totally agree.

Ron Paul is the most genuine and intelligent man running for office, but that alone will not get him elected. He needs to do something BIG to stand out from the rest of the pack, whether it be a great speech or just more enthusiasm.

You have brought up some great points.

wfd40
01-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I've posted about this many many times...

To see both Edward's and Obama's speeches last night was humbling to say the least. Don't think for one moment that a majority of what they said is not memorized - because it most certainly is.

Ever take a public speaking course? Its all about MEMORIZATION... because not having to worry about what one says next allows one to FOCUS ON DELIVERY and EMOTION

Huckatard keeps getting credit for being "A GREAT COMMUNICATOR".. lol, basically all that means is that he can lie better than the next guy because everything he is saying is populist bullshit (i can at least respect Edward's populism - Huckatard's makes me sick)..

Ron Paul's message SHOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT TO COMMUNICATE... peace, prosperity, change.. get a god damn communications expert in there and DRILL DOWN THE MESSAGE TO MEMORIZED TALKING POINTS.