PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to pay income tax?

ronpaulfollower999
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm watching Freedom to Fascism for the first time, and is this true? If I don't pay income tax will I get arrested or what?

McDermit
01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
"willful failure to file" seems to be a popular charge.

asgardshill
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe. But lets be realistic - if the apogee of your working life was your promotion to Tertiary Supervisor of Fry Basket Number 7 at McDonalds, no the IRS is probably not going to send the federal marshals to pick you up. Even FEDGOV understands the concepts of blood and turnips.

Catatonic
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM
If you just stop paying it, you'll run the risk of going to jail. People win these cases but usually they're lawyers that know all the dirty little tricks that will be used in court.

If you really want to take a stand and stop paying do yourself a favor and research first, and get everything lined up before going ahead with it. If you're really pissed off and don't care about going to jail, then the decision is yours. But if you just stop paying without any preperation you'll be behind bars most likely.

One of the guys in that movie is actually in jail now. The judge was quoted as saying "I will not allow the law in my courtroom!" during his case. I believe these are tax courts basically run by the IRS but I could be mistaken.

fedup100
01-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes, because you are not free and you are living in an occupied Country. This why we fight so hard for Ron Paul.

Chester Copperpot
01-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm watching Freedom to Fascism for the first time, and is this true? If I don't pay income tax will I get arrested or what?

yeah, nobody can seem to cite the law that requires people to pay income tax on their salary.. but whoa what can happen if you dont pay.

daniroyer
01-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Legally, you don't, but they'll nail your ass to the wall and throw you in jail if you get caught.

Even if you get a refund, you have to file. My husband and I were going to get a refund of like, $30 a few years ago, but one of his employers was being an ass about sending us the W-2. Rather than bitch and moan over the W-2, we decided not to file. We called the IRS hotline to make sure it was okay not to, and they told us we had to...to PROVE we didn't owe them!

fortilite
01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I haven't filed in years. I use the software to determine if I owe or will get a refund. If I owe, I don't file. If I will get a refund, I file. As long as you make less than $50k and don't own your own business you can get away with that. I haven't tried actually lying on my tax forms though to get an extra refund, always considered it though.

Dr.3D
01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
While I was in the Vietnam 'conflict', collecting combat pay and hostile fire pay, I didn't file income taxes. Later, after I had returned home, the IRS sent me a letter telling me I needed to file income taxes for those two years. I wrote them back and told them it was very difficult to file while in the combat zone in Vietnam. I did not receive any more letters from them after that.

peruvianRP
01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
IRS = Mafia.

junior_bacon_cheeseburger
01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
This is risky, just hope you never get audited. Freedom to fascism makes it seem likes its easy to get away with it but THIS IS NOT THE CASE. My advice would be not to file rather than to lie on it. I could be wrong on this, but I think not filing can amount to a plead of ignorance in the courts? They will still destroy you financially. I dont know, its a risky idea. Hopefully Ron Paul can force those terrorist traitors to get real jobs instead of stealing other peoples money.

Mesogen
01-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I haven't filed in years. I use the software to determine if I owe or will get a refund. If I owe, I don't file. If I will get a refund, I file. As long as you make less than $50k and don't own your own business you can get away with that. I haven't tried actually lying on my tax forms though to get an extra refund, always considered it though.
You're still paying income tax. :(

I think the real killer is the W-4, which most employers make you fill out.

What if you put EXEMPT (because really you are)? Then don't file a 1040?

I would think, if the story is true, that you have a leg to stand on then.

hamilton1049
01-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Maybe. But lets be realistic - if the apogee of your working life was your promotion to Tertiary Supervisor of Fry Basket Number 7 at McDonalds, no the IRS is probably not going to send the federal marshals to pick you up. Even FEDGOV understands the concepts of blood and turnips.

Dead wrong! This is exactly who they target most, little guys who can't fight back and can be easily intimidated! I KNOW!

Wendi
01-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I wish I was brave enough to fight the IRS. But I'm terrified of the day gov't agents show up at my door. With guns. So... for now... I file like a good little slave and pray that Ron Paul wins and puts an end to this insanity.