PDA

View Full Version : quick question about the military

tomahawk
07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
On another forum I frequent Ron Paul is either Loved or Hated...

With that said a thread was started like the one here about the militarys support of Dr. Paul.

There are quite a bit of military personel on this forum and many of them are asking why should they support them when Dr. Paul wants to downsize the military.....

How should I go about defending him on this issue?

aravoth
07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
He won't weaken national defense. He'll cut it back by bringing them home. That way they can be colser to home so Jody doesn't screw thier women while they're overseas. That means fewer dear john letters. I got one of those, bitch pissed me off.

Lord Xar
07-16-2007, 09:28 PM
On another forum I frequent Ron Paul is either Loved or Hated...

With that said a thread was started like the one here about the militarys support of Dr. Paul.

There are quite a bit of military personel on this forum and many of them are asking why should they support them when Dr. Paul wants to downsize the military.....

How should I go about defending him on this issue?

REALLY? I heard from one of his interviews that he believed in a STRONG MILITARY. He use to be in the airforce.. as a fligh surgeon, AND he has ALWAYS voted for increased benefits for Veterans....

So, I have heard..
1. Believes in a STRONG military
2. Always has voted for increased benefits for veterans

aravoth
07-16-2007, 09:31 PM
REALLY? I heard from one of his interviews that he believed in a STRONG MILITARY. He use to be in the airforce.. as a fligh surgeon, AND he has ALWAYS voted for increased benefits for Veterans....

So, I have heard..
1. Believes in a STRONG military
2. Always has voted for increased benefits for veterans

Yeah, you can bet your ass that thier won't be a bunch of bullshit like walter reed happening with RP around.

tomahawk
07-16-2007, 09:34 PM
thanks guys im relaying this information

DjLoTi
07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
He's gonna change it from National Offense to National Defense.

Lots of people in the military are losing their jobs to civilian contractors because it's cheaper for the military. The military isn't able to afford all the things it's doing right now. Under Ron Paul, military members wouldn't be at risk to lose their jobs to civilians because of budget restraints.

And he supports better veteran care.

Capitalism
07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, I don't know how much RP wants to actually spend on the military, but yes, it will be substantially less without the US paying for other wealthy nations' defense. But do we want a military for defending the US or do we want more and more military just for the sake of having more and more military? Plus RP wouldn't need to take state's national guards away in order to support his foreign policy. Soldiers would not die in useless foreign wars.

RP has also been a leader in opposing the International Criminal Court because of the potential for abuse by nations hostile to the US. I have video from C-Span in 2002 of RP and Bob Barr railing against the ICC. If I have time I will post it to youtube if I am able and if I don't find it on there already.

foofighter20x
07-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Ask them why the military should be overly bloated to protect other countries that should be protecting themselves.

tomahawk
07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Ask them why the military should be overly bloated to protect other countries that should be protecting themselves.

I would imagine they would feel that question is a personal attack agaisnt them having a career and making a living so I'm not so sure that will win their hearts over.

Bradley in DC
07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Our military commitments have our resources stretched way too thin with lots of fatigue. Reduce the commitments, increase military readiness.

foofighter20x
07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Ok, then... Ask them why our nation should be defending over 130 other nations instead of those nations defending themselves.

Also, bring up the point that a lot of military money gets wasted in the acquisitions process (the equipment is promised to deliver too much, actually delivers very little, and then more money gets dumped into fixing the problems from the wasted money) and Dr Paul would want to fix that as much as possible to avoid troop cuts.

Also, ask if they are worried if they will get cut from the military and be jobless. Then point to how after every American war, our economy has always absorbed the returning soldier into the job market rather easily.

DeadheadForPaul
07-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Ron Paul wants a strong national defense. We spend a large portion of our military spending on needless wars and interventionism plus our support of foreign nations. We need to focus on American sovereignty and protect this great country. Ron Paul believes in only using force when we absolutely need to such as WWII and going after Osama bin Laden

jblosser
07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
You can also point out that in the few times when Congress *does* have a backbone and declare war, he won't screw around with fighting a political battle and not giving them enough gear or personnel so that they come home in body bags. He will respond with all the force we have, get it done, and bring them home. Decisively.

ronpaulhawaii
07-17-2007, 12:29 AM
"Ron Paul is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense. As a former Air Force officer, he well knows the needs of our armed forces, and he always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country" - Ronald Reagan

ronpaulitician
07-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Troops in 700 bases across the world, in 130 out of 190 (-194) countries around the world? If we pull all those troops back to the US, I doubt that we'll need quite as many troops as we have now. We definitely won't need as many "troop managers".

Tough one, but I think it's best to be up front about the fact that Paul does not believe we need as large a military as we now have.

Matt
07-17-2007, 12:53 AM
He said wants to use the military to secure the Mexican border. Lot's of jobs there.

V-rod
07-17-2007, 03:08 AM
RP believes in reducing permanent bases in non strategic locations and increasing the power of our navy.

freelance
07-17-2007, 03:45 AM
While Ron Paul does not believe in large government, he does believe that defense is a legitimate government function. How much of our current "defense" budget goes to the military and how much of it goes to outsourcing, which is largely held unaccountable? Given that a substantial portion of our budget goes to outsourcing, I'll bet he could reduce it quite a bit.

Oh, and speaking of Walter Reed, we haven't heard about any progress on that front since the initial expose, have we?