PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul officially invited to ABC debates on Saturday night

rodboev
01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080104/ap_en_tv/abc_debate;_ylt=AphjZRbJyMeRH5HsOLN38XonHL8C

NEW YORK - ABC News is eliminating Republican presidential candidate Duncan Hunter and Democrats Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel from its prime-time presidential debates Saturday night because they did not meet benchmarks for their support.

The Republican debate three days before the New Hampshire primary will include Iowa caucus winner Mike Huckabee, John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul. It starts at 7 p.m. EDT.

romeshomey
01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Awsome...

Talldude1412
01-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Its still ridiculous that they are not allowing other candidates on the show based on Iowa. Absolutely absurd. This is blatant infringement on the democratic process.

rodboev
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Its still ridiculous that they are not allowing other candidates on the show based on Iowa. Absolutely absurd. This is blatant infringement on the democratic process.

National polls can overcome Iowa results for those candidates, but in the cases of the two exclusions did not.

I know Bill Clinton won 2% in Iowa in 1992. Does anyone know how he was polling nationally? I'll bet much higher than either of the two exclusions.

rpfan2008
01-04-2008, 10:29 AM
nice

TheBaz
01-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Works out better for Dr. Paul but I still disagree with it. It mans one less disagreeing voice against Dr. Paul now.

AdamT
01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
This will help push RP into mainstream America. Past debates have been on cable. This will be on broadcast television. When we did our TV ad buys, you get a single spot on cable for anywhere from $5-$30/spot. On broadcast it's 10x the cost. More people watch broadcast channels and are influenced by them, hence the much greater advertising costs.

In addition, this will be aired during Prime Time ABC on a Saturday night. The past cable debates have been on at screwy times and days of the week.

RP must put on a good show.

bclemms
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I have a feeling this debate will be the make or break point of the campaign. If the questions have substance then Ron Paul will bitch slap everyone else on stage.

John of Des Moines
01-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Works out better for Dr. Paul but I still disagree with it. It mans one less disagreeing voice against Dr. Paul now.

Losing Hunter won't mean much to any of the others, like adding a teaspoon of sand to each of the other campaign sandbags.

mavtek
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
This might be the debate with the most viewers yet. Ron needs to do extremely well.

Dare I say he needs to use this a launching point to explain his positions, and possibly downplay some of it. I see no need for him to talk about withdrawing from the rest of the world, only Iraq. I see no need for him to talk about elimination of departments other than the IRS and the Federal Reserve.

mavtek
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh and it's time to attack the other candidates head on! Get people talking!

jmdrake
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Personally I think that these "official debates" shouldn't be allowed to block anybody that's on enough state ballots to possibly win the nomination. This type of censorship is in effect an illegal donation to front runner candidates.

That said, I'm glad that ABC is including Paul. Let's hope Fox news comes to their senses. If not, clog up their phone lines in protest!

Regards,

John M. Drake