PDA

View Full Version : We aren't too complicated for the average American

Rangeley
01-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Despite what some topics in this forum are saying, the people of Iowa are not stupid, and Americans are not stupid - and they are certainly not too stupid to understand Ron Paul. You have to understand why people come to support a candidate, and I think that you can see why Ron Paul did not catch fire more than he did in Iowa.

Case in point, his long infomercial like ad, as many pointed out, led off with Abortion. There is nothing wrong with pointing out his opposition to abortion, but this is not a draw for Ron Paul when all other candidates running, minus Giuliani, also oppose abortion. Noone will see his opposition and say "thats it, hes won my vote!" Abortion is essentially an issue that can only lose an election for you, not win it - as was shown with Giuliani where it was undoubtedly one of many factors. The ad also pointed out his opposition to Gun Control, which is another one of these issues which wont gain supporters but could lose them if a candidate was for it. Fiscal conservatism, once again, all the candidates are saying they are fiscally conservative (whether they are telling the truth is another issue.)

The ad did also note his opposition to the Iraq War, which is a contrasting position to the other candidates. This was probably a strong draw, for people who opposed the Iraq War. But this segment of Republican voters is not very large, and you essentially are counting on Independents swinging to the Republican primary rather than the Democrats. But heres the problem - Obama is also against the Iraq war, and on face value there isn't a lot of contrast when they both say they will bring troops home immediately. Further, people are not likely to change their minds on the Iraq War, after all the coverage on the news most people have firmly made opinions. You cant change peoples minds on an issue that they are pretty certain about. Its like gun control, chances are you wont convince anyone to change their minds.

That is why the strongest issue to run on, which is getting barely no focus at all, is the Patriot Act. Every Republican supports it, except for Paul. Clinton, Obama, and Edwards support it as well. Ron Paul does not. Unlike the Iraq War, this has gotten barely any coverage. From 2001, to 2007, the only thing I ever saw on the news about it was whether it had enough support to pass, never anything that talked about how its unconstitutional. It wasn't until 2007 that I read that myself and learned more from youtube. Was I too stupid to understand it was unconstitutional? No, it simply was never stated to me - the actual things that make it unconstitutional.

If this became a focus of ads and the campaign, or even our efforts, it would be an issue that would contrast with all other frontrunners in both parties. Its something that people probably do not have firmly made opinions on, because its barely ever covered in the news. Not only can you win supporters who oppose it today, but you can convince more to oppose it and come to Ron Paul. The other issues still deserved to be covered, don't get me wrong. They are necessary in establishing his track record. But the finishing blow should be the Patriot act - the one issue there is true contrast on, and the one issue that people could change their minds on due to lacking knowledge on it. This is what got me, and this is the key issue that I used to convince others as well.

Ironically, the mainstream medias belief that people are too stupid to understand the Patriot act makes it much easier for us, when we enter the situation with the belief that people are not too stupid, to change peoples minds. Its their lack of coverage that has led people to not know enough to form opinions, and therefore it is an opening to gain supporters for a candidate who does discuss it. Where they get it wrong, we can get it right. We aren't too complicated for the average American.

stevedasbach
01-04-2008, 08:25 AM
If you look at the exit polls, the issue where Dr. Paul did the best was the economy. People are getting increasingly worried about the economy, and Paul is the only Republican addressing their concerns. Plus, this is an issue where he aligns well with Republican voters.

The Patriot Act is a good issue to hit, but I don't think it will get us the numbers we need.

Rangeley
01-04-2008, 08:30 AM
He did the best in that category, out of the ones given. There was not a civil liberties category. But if there was, I have no doubt that would have topped all of his categories.

RonPaulFTFW
01-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Agree 100 percent.

griblets
01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I believe economic and monetary policy are the key issues. That is what got my attention. Foreign policy and other issues, including civil liberties, begin to fall into place as the economic and monetary policy is addressed.

The major reason that I support Ron Paul is that he is different than the normal polictician. I have never supported a policitician because I automatically assume they are corrupt. He has a record that backs what he says. I don't know that any other candidate can claim that. If this message can be delivered, I think it helps the cause.

EvoPro
01-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Some things just need to be explained in more simple terms.