PDA

View Full Version : The Mainstream Media - The Mainstream Media - The Mainstream Media - WHY WE LOST!

Menthol Patch
01-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Lets face REALITY for a moment.

For every time the mainstream media talks about Ron Paul they mention every other candidate a HUNDRED times. For every time Ron Paul is on the front page of CNN a picture of Huckabee is there a thousand times! The mainstream media has been and continues to marginalize our candidate. They constantly try to ignore him at every opportunity and belittle every accomplishment of the rEVOLution.

These are the FACTS that we must face.

Why did we end up losing Iowa? The answer is simple. Every other candidate received probably a hundred million dollars of free publicity by the media. We on the other hand were ignored and given as little attention as possible even when we made HUGE accomplishments! This REALITY is why we lost IOWA! It was the MAINSTREAM MEDIA!

What can we do about this?

We must keep the mainstream media talking about our candidate. That's right, we have to play their game. Yes, it sucks. The system is changing, but the way the system works if your not covered by the mainstream media YOU DO NOT EXIST to the majority of the population! Our only option is to do what it takes to get MORE COVERAGE by the mainstream including Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, and all the other networks.

What is the next step?

Our next task must be to get Ron Paul into the HOUR AND A HALF Fox News roundtable forum on January 6th. The mainstream media desires to keep his message away from the public. That is why they give him so little publicity! By doing what it takes to get him in this forum we can have a GREAT opportunity to spread his message to people across the nation!

If we do not get him into this debate the mainstream media will have a reason to marginalize him even more. Also, the countless people watching will not see him and will simply forget about him! That's right, the population has a VERY short memory. For them to know Ron Paul exists they have to continue SEEING HIM next to the other candidates! If he is not in this debate many people will just think he is no longer running or has dropped out!

Lets do whatever it takes to get Ron Paul into the fox news forum!

Remember, being in the fox news forum does NOT only give us one and a half hours of coverage. Ron Paul is also interviewed and talked about AFTER the forum, in newspapers across the nation, on the internet, and on the radio!

Bison
01-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Good point.

SonicInfinity
01-04-2008, 08:04 AM
If he's not in it, there will be 10,000+ people outside the building, and that ALONE will make news.

RonPaulFTFW
01-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Stop blaming the MSM.

It's getting old.

We lost because we had poor tactics and poor turnout.

GJ-CO4RonPaul
01-04-2008, 08:19 AM
I find it truly hard to believe that if everyone researched their candidate at all that Huckabee would get 34% of the vote. He is not a conservative.

I think the sheeple have responded exactly as they were told. Plain and simple.

RonPaulFTFW
01-04-2008, 08:20 AM
No the christians were told to vote for a crazy pastor and they did.

we tried to take their votes and we couldn't

bad strategy.

Menthol Patch
01-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Lets face REALITY for a moment.

For every time the mainstream media talks about Ron Paul they mention every other candidate a HUNDRED times. For every time Ron Paul is on the front page of CNN a picture of Huckabee is there a thousand times! The mainstream media has been and continues to marginalize our candidate. They constantly try to ignore him at every opportunity and belittle every accomplishment of the rEVOLution.

These are the FACTS that we must face.

Why did we end up losing Iowa? The answer is simple. Every other candidate received probably a hundred million dollars of free publicity by the media. We on the other hand were ignored and given as little attention as possible even when we made HUGE accomplishments! This REALITY is why we lost IOWA! It was the MAINSTREAM MEDIA!

What can we do about this?

We must keep the mainstream media talking about our candidate. That's right, we have to play their game. Yes, it sucks. The system is changing, but the way the system works if your not covered by the mainstream media YOU DO NOT EXIST to the majority of the population! Our only option is to do what it takes to get MORE COVERAGE by the mainstream including Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, and all the other networks.

What is the next step?

Our next task must be to get Ron Paul into the HOUR AND A HALF Fox News roundtable forum on January 6th. The mainstream media desires to keep his message away from the public. That is why they give him so little publicity! By doing what it takes to get him in this forum we can have a GREAT opportunity to spread his message to people across the nation!

If we do not get him into this debate the mainstream media will have a reason to marginalize him even more. Also, the countless people watching will not see him and will simply forget about him! That's right, the population has a VERY short memory. For them to know Ron Paul exists they have to continue SEEING HIM next to the other candidates! If he is not in this debate many people will just think he is no longer running or has dropped out!

Lets do whatever it takes to get Ron Paul into the fox news forum!

Remember, being in the fox news forum does NOT only give us one and a half hours of coverage. Ron Paul is also interviewed and talked about AFTER the forum, in newspapers across the nation, on the internet, and on the radio!

Goldwater Conservative
01-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Somebody should compare vote totals to media coverage. That would seriously deflate the candidates who finished ahead of Paul and do even worse to Julie.

qednick
01-04-2008, 09:48 AM

Yep. This is why you can go into any mall to the food court which could be filled with all kinds of fantastic foods to try but the place with the longest line will always be the McDonalds.

fireworks_god
01-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Are you kidding me? The reason we lost is because we failed to BRING OUT THE VOTE!

Reality effectively refutes your position all on its own. Case in point - The Mainstream Media was placing Fred Thompson underneath Ron Paul and had pretty much reached the conclusion that he would drop out right then and there.

Didn't he take third? Helloooooooooooo!

You can't force the mainstream media to cover your candidate! They cover your candidate because your candidate is placing well all on their own! :eek:

THE POLLS ARE ACCURATE. No wonder the media puts so much stock in them - BECAUSE THEY ARE ACCURATE!

You know what is great? We can reach the same people the pollsters reach, and actually make Ron Paul go UP in the polls, instead of lying to ourselves about the "under the radar" support that we can count on.

Guess what? We wanted to count on it, but we couldn't, because it DID NOT EXIST.

BRING IN THE VOTE! BRING IN THE VOTE! :D

Paul10
01-04-2008, 09:53 AM

fireworks_god
01-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Yep. This is why you can go into any mall to the food court which could be filled with all kinds of fantastic foods to try but the place with the longest line will always be the McDonalds.

I wonder how McDonalds started doing such great business in the first place, so many years ago. They had to start somewhere, you know. :rolleyes:

We have to be trend-setters here, and WE CANNOT SET TRENDS BY BEGGING AND TRYING TO FORCE THE MEDIA TO COVER OUR CANDIDATE. :mad:

We have to get people to come in and vote for Ron Paul! The reality is, in Iowa, we failed. :eek:

Sure, we can praise ourselves for all that we have accomplished, but the fact is, we talked ourselves up and even got the media to stray away from its faith in the polls to place our expectations in third, and we got FIFTH. :mad:

Its no one's fault but our own. It is no one's fault but our own.

Great news though! Everything we need to know to WIN, we learned in Iowa! :) If we stop playing the game that caused us to LOSE, and start playing the game that will ensure that we WIN, we will win! ;)

Ron Paul in the White House! :)

In order to make it happen, people actually have to vote for Ron Paul. We need delegates too of course, but, from what I'm told, people have to vote for Ron Paul to win for that to happen to, through bound candidates, as well as influencing the decisions of the unbound. :p

This is WAR! :cool:

Menthol Patch
01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Check out the following video and listen to the very kind and supportive words of Greta van Susteren!

Here are some quotes.

"Ten percent is a huge number!"

"I must say out of all the people we run into the ones that are the most earnest in supporting their candidate is the Ron Paul people."

"I don't under and at the risk of getting in trouble I'm not sure why he was out of it as in why he was kept out of it!"

"Lets have TWO debates!"

"We want to give people the chance to speak!"

"It's not like he is an insignificant player! If we don't have room enough for them we should have TWO debates!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_XBgzHxQs

It's clear all of our emails, faxes, and calls are making an impact! Listen to what she has to say!

Lets say thank you to GRETA VAN SUSTEREN!

Ontherecord@foxnews.com

Alabama Supporter
01-04-2008, 10:00 AM
The MSM is a lame excuse, and I'm tired of it.

The campaign can fight back with effective press management. How long does it take Hillary or other campaigns to respond to attacks?

fireworks_god
01-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Everyone already knows Thompson so it doesn't matter what the media was saying at the last minute. They were also saying Paul was probably going to finish 4th or 5th. The reason why there was no Ron Paul supporters is because tons still don't know him and the media effectively portrayed him as a "he can't win candidate".

Well, for some reason, they voted for him, and I'll let you in on a little secret - most everyone in Iowa knew who Ron Paul is. My grandpa, who doesn't vote, although he admits he should, who does almost nothing but work, hauling grain and with his own farm, and church, especially now that my grandmother passed away, who didn't even know the caucus was happening yesterday when I called him, told me that he knew who he was, and, what's more, that he doesn't think he would be a great president, that him and Hillary Clinton are bad news, and that if he was to vote for anyone, it would be Huckabee. :eek:

Your reasoning is correct. :) That isn't the media's failing. It isn't the people's failing. It is our failing. We are the ones who are at war here, putting forth our candidate to win.

We did not bring in the votes for Ron Paul. We brought in some, its success, but we got fifth. Time is short, we have a month, although, truthfully, New Hampshire WILL decide it because John McCain has built momentum over us, has already won the state in the past, and will receive the benefit of Thompson's support consolidating with his.

The time is now for us to WIN, and we have to stop what we've been doing, IT DOESN'T WORK, just like America's failed foreign policy, and NOW we must do what is necesary to BRING IN THE VOTE! :)

We are the most powerful, transformative force politics has ever seen, but if we do not properly apply ourselves and execute this campaign as we MUST in order to win, then it all amounts to nothing.

Who here wants everything we've done, the millions of dollars, all the efforts, all of the hope, all of the optimism, to amount to nothing?

Who here wants America to collapse? Isn't anyone concerned about our future?

Let's do what we need to do to win! :)

fireworks_god
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
The MSM is a lame excuse, and I'm tired of it.

The campaign can fight back with effective press management. How long does it take Hillary or other campaigns to respond to attacks?

They can; perhaps they will, perhaps they won't. We are not the campaign, and we can't really directly influence that, and any means we have to communicate with them to try to convey that point to them is much better invested in BRINGING IN THE VOTE!

You are right, the MSM is a lame excuse! It is our responsibility to ensure that Ron Paul receives the votes! It is the alpha and omega of Ron Paul winning the Presidency! What we have been doing does NOT bring in the votes. No excuse beyond ourselves should be satisfactory!

Don't get me wrong, we've accomplished SO fucking much, but this isn't about the battle, it is about the WAR, the REVOLUTION! :D

SteveMartin
01-04-2008, 10:07 AM
The polls are accurate when you:

1. Control the polling to begin with, AND
2. Exclude mention of the candidate you don't like CAUSING your polls to come out right!

WAKE UP. THE MSM HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM...whether or not they can continue to be is TOTALLY UP TO US.

Andrew-Austin
01-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I disagree. We just need to push harder with better grassroots tactics, and HQ needs to do a better job spending the money better.

Iowa wasn't our state anyways.

2. Exclude mention of the candidate you don't like CAUSING your polls to come out right!

WAKE UP. THE MSM HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM...whether or not they can continue to be is TOTALLY UP TO US.

The word can be spread without the MSM.

And we can't force the MSM to do a damn thing now that Paul has placed 5th in Iowa. So just drop this radical nonsense already.

lucius
01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.mediachannel.org/images/media-moguls-1200X849.jpg

http://www.mediachannel.org/images/rpr.jpg

"Should Big Media decide for the rest of us who is — and more importantly who is not — a viable candidate for president? It’s bad enough that thus far the reporting of this year’s quadrennial presidential pursuit has been even more insubstantial than ever, focused on the horse race, the fundraising, the polls, the pundits, the haircuts and assorted other bits of silliness –- anything other than actual issues of concern to voters and importance to the world. Now we find Big Media, (specifically its Fox/ABC News wing,) determined to narrow the field of presidential candidates before any of us, other than a handful of white people in Iowa, even get a chance to vote!"

http://www.roryoconnor.org/blog/2008/01/02/they-report-they-decide/

SteveMartin
01-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Sign this petition against the MSM:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/487443841

fireworks_god
01-04-2008, 10:15 AM

Bullshit! Our numbers in Iowa continued to rise as we reached those who actually VOTE, and the votes we received reflected the polls.

The MSM didn't manufacture his placing. They didn't manufacture Huckabee. Huckabee actually had support! People say he is finished after Iowa but this Christian thing and its organization and funding power is going to LAUNCH him. To what extent, who knows, but he polls quite well nationally from what I recall, and he's got momentum now! As soon as he got the headlines, he proclaims that "America wants change in politics and change in Washington, and he's the guy!"

We have to face facts here people - everything does NOT align for Ron Paul to win. We keep telling ourselves that, I know I did. We were talking about the media and how they would be talking with their feet in their mouths, but guess what? We're the ones eating our own feet right now. :mad:

This is no time for stay the course. We've got the best candidate and the most power. We've done amazing things, we need to realize how to play this game and focus ourselves near-singularily on accomplishing it.

This requires EFFORT. This IS WAR. We can't coast, reality isn't going to align for us.

Paul10
01-04-2008, 10:17 AM

fireworks_god
01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Sign this petition against the MSM:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/487443841

What is a petition agansit several huge corporations going to do to get Ron Paul elected President. Absolutely nothing.

I'm optimistic, but I'm also a realist. We still have a chance, but we have to fight hard. We've already accomplished amazing things, but if we don't focus and start fighting the way we HAVE to, then we lose, just like we lost in Iowa. I hated that feeling last night, but, I'll tell you what - I learned from it. It was either "give up on following and supporting Ron Paul entirely", or dedicate myself to it fully in the only ways I can - MAKING IT HAPPEN.

fireworks_god
01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
No it didn't. Those polls were only among Republicans. There should have been new comers, dems, indies, and libs. I think the problem was that they thought he'd lose or they simply don't know him yet.

No one else is going to convince them for us. They aren't going to convince themselves. That is our job. We need to stop thinking it will all work and start taking this very seriously, or Ron Paul loses.

acptulsa
01-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Rail all you want, but there is another side to the MSM. We need to play them. They won't mind, really.
The blimp is brilliant. Here's something the MSM can get the unwashed masses' attention with. It doesn't take more than 30 seconds to explain, either.
I just searched my login, 'acptulsa', on yahoo and did not get this site. Is it set up to let the search engines in? If not, who will volunteer to fix it?
I, for one, am happy to provide catchy sentences that take thirty seconds or less to say. I think I'll start a thread after work--unless someone beats me to it!
Don't just fight harder, fight smarter!

Goldwater Conservative
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
The word can be spread without the MSM.

And we can't force the MSM to do a damn thing now that Paul has placed 5th in Iowa. So just drop this radical nonsense already.

Bullshit. There's nothing radical about it. Paul has had a fraction of the coverage everyone but Hunter has had, and prior to any votes being cast there was no justification for the disparity. Even now, we beat Mr. 9/11 and came within a few thousand Iowans of Thompson and McCain.

However, I agree that we can't force them to do anything, although I think we can only spread the word without them in states like New Hampshire. We have to make the less populous states count while we have the opportunity.

MrHellebusch
01-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I find it truly hard to believe that if everyone researched their candidate at all that Huckabee would get 34% of the vote. He is not a conservative.

Collectively, we've made hundreds of videos that tout Ron Paul and his record. At what point do we begin informing the populace of other candidates' records?

"Huckabee says he wants to get rid of the IRS, but as Gov. of Ark. he RAISED taxes multiple times, and the tax burden on the citizens of Ark. was greater when he left."

"Romney calls himself a conservative but has attended a Planned Parenthood fund raiser and supports restrictions on the 2nd amendment, including the Brady Bill"

"McCain claims to have been held captive by Viet Cong. He was. He's a hero. We won't go there."

Dary
01-04-2008, 10:59 AM
IMHO....

We didn’t lose Iowa because of the OM. We didn’t lose it because of Ron Paul or the official campaign. We didn’t lose it because of the message. We didn’t lose it because of us.

We lost it because of the voters.

Those GOP voters in Iowa who voted for anyone other than Ron did so because either they didn’t know who he is, they knew who he is but they are not really conservative or the conservatives in Iowa simply don’t care anymore and didn’t come out to vote.

It isn’t our fault that people don’t know who Ron is. It is up to each and every voter to know who the candidates are and what they stand for.

Surely we can do much to get the message out and we have, but ultimately, it is the responsibility of each individual voter to become informed.

If each and every Iowa voter knew who Ron is, then that tells me that the conservatives in Iowa are in the minority.

I believe that there is only one way that Ron is going to win the nomination and that is if there are still enough educated conservatives left in the GOP that care.

The message that the Iowa vote sends to me is that there are roughly 10,000 conservatives in Iowa who actually care.

In the end, it will all come down to whether or not the GOP voters understand that they will lose the general election if they nominate another pro-war socialist. They have the opportunity to nominate an honest to goodness conservative and win or repeat the beating they took in the last election.

I for one will vote democratic if Ron doesn’t get the nomination. My reasoning is that if there is going to be a down fall, then I say let’s get it over with. Maybe a new party will arise from the ashes; a conservative party; one that I’ll be able to support in the future (if there is one) and one that will be able to win.

Until then I’ll support the message with all my heart and soul and hope that the GOP and my fellow Americans come to their senses before its too late.

RonPaulMania
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Some of you don't understand the power of the media by the nature of your comments. Exposure is everything. Huckabee didn't have this great surge in the polls from nowhere. It was his repeated exposure in the media. Who was he before? Polling about 7-8% in Nov and we were AFRAID to debate him 1 on 1 for foreign policy because of the good exposure it would give a "nobody".

Well you know what you discovered? That the media makes the candidate. They get the polls, the discussion on the news, the "electability" factor, and people's perception that he is newsworthy. What do you see of Paul: "crackpot", "nuts", "9/11 truther", "not electable", "on the fringe" and it goes on and on. People only think beyond the television. Most older people vote and they AREN'T on the internet so stop dreaming to think Youtube and Googling Ron Paul is going to change the substance of the time in which we still live.

Without the media giving credibility that his positions are truly Constitutional, the exposure to his ideas, the realization that his ideas are truly in-line with the founders, etc. its a complete uphill battle that never ends. This is our "democracy".

This is just my opinion, but the only way to win is to canvass neighborhoods, meet people, give them a video they could learn about, and actually fill up your car with supporters and drive them to the voting block (people you converted). The media created apathy for Paul, not to mention an original image that he is a nut-job. Yes, I hate that reality, but we have to fight against it and Youtubing videos is not the solution: 18-28 yr olds just don't vote in large enough #s.

acptulsa
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
"18-28 YR OLDS JUST DON'T VOTE IN LARGE ENOUGH #S"

Hear that, kids? I was in your age group when I last voted for Dr. Paul. He wasn't even a part of "either party", but I did it.

Sound like a challenge to you? If not, try this: SAVE YOUR FREEDOMS BEFORE THE CONSTITUTION THAT I HAVE ENJOYED MY LIFE LONG BECOMES A DUSTY EXHIBIT IN THE SMITHSONIAN! How's that?

Be sure to tell your friends, now.

acptulsa
01-04-2008, 12:37 PM
P.S. If young voters don't matter, how did Obama win Iowa?

acptulsa
01-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Yahoo's news page not only ignores Paul's great performance, they actually say that Giuliani is one of the people who can claim Iowa was good for him! Their spin--its wide open and Romney didn't win, and that's good for ol' Rudy.
Came in dead last and that's good--I'm dizzy.
One thing's for certain--it is wide open!

Deborah K
01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I just got this from Steve Elliot, founder of Grassfire.org. an yeah!!!! I called Fox News and reemed them a new one!!

1/4/2008

Dear Deborah,

ABC and Fox News Channel have narrowed the field of presidential
candidates invited to debate this weekend leading into the New
Hampshire primary by closing the doors on Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter.

According to numerous reports, the decision was made due to
limited space in its studio--a bus. As a result they invited
only those candidates who had received double-digit support
in recent polls.

Is this fair to someone like Ron Paul who has set fund-raising
records, and is gaining great momentum while other candidates
are fading? I suggest not.

As a voting American, I'm upset at this decision. No, I don't support
Ron Paul, Duncan Hunter or any other candidate. Frankly we are too
early in the process, and everything is too liquid to make such
an important decision.

But isn't that the idea of these debates? Giving citizens a portal
to listen and see the candidates--all the candidates, their
ideologies and philosophies away from media spin?

Deborah, I'm outraged by Fox News Channel and ABC's decision,
and I'm urging you to take action with me by calling and emailing
each of these news organizations to express your outrage.

Fox News Channel: (212) 301-3000 or (888)-369-4762,
send email to: yourcomments@foxnews.com

ABC: (212) 456-7777, to send email, go to www.abc.com, scroll to
bottom of page and click on "Contact Us"

Again, I am not supporting Paul, Hunter or anyone else at this point.
But I think it’s critically important that the media not silence
any of the candidates.

It is ironic that Joseph Farah of WorldNet Daily suggests the move
"is a very bad decision for a cable news channel whose slogan is
'fair and balanced.'"

Whether you support these two candidates or not, please take immediate
action by calling, and emailing Fox News Channel and ABC, voicing
your disapproval of their bias. Urge each to change their decision
and allow these men to debate the issues facing our nation.
Americans need to hear what they have to say.

Steve Elliott
President
Grassfire.org

coffeewithchess
01-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Stop blaming the MSM.

It's getting old.

We lost because we had poor tactics and poor turnout.

+10