PDA

View Full Version : Story previewing Wyoming GOP caucuses from Billings Gazette

Badger Paul
01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Wyoming GOP eager to make mark
By JARED MILLER
Casper Star-Tribune

CHEYENNE - Wyoming Republicans will make history Saturday when they become the first in the country to select delegates for the national GOP convention.

True, Wyoming's early county conventions haven't generated the profile of Iowa's caucuses, but they have resulted in the state's first-ever serious look by presidential candidates.

"I've got to tell you, it's exciting," said Bill Cubin, Natrona County GOP chairman. "We really are making a difference here."

Candidates have reached out in a variety of ways. Most candidates have targeted state party members with e-mails, phone calls, direct mailing, personal visits and calls to local radio talk shows. Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson spent $10,000 each to acquire a list of the names and contact information for party members who will help select the national delegates. Romney set up a state office in Casper, Cubin said.

There have also been calls on behalf of candidates from national GOP figures - including Mary Matalin, a former counselor to Vice President Dick Cheney, who is supporting Thompson, the former U.S. senator from Tennessee.

"The response has been terrific," Matalin said by telephone Thursday, noting that state GOP members have been keenly interested in Thompson's stance on important national issues. "The thing about Wyoming people, they just like the straight talk. I'm not spinning anybody and not offering any pointers."

Paul Kruse, Niobrara County party chairman, said he has heard from nearly every candidate, either on the phone or through direct mail.

"I think it's a testament to the wisdom of the decision to move up our county conventions," said Kruse, who is supporting Thompson.

Tired of being a "flyover" state during presidential races, Wyoming Republicans broke with the national party and opted to stage their county conventions earlier than usual.

The decision has drawn scorn from the national party, but local leaders consider it a resounding success, as evidenced by visits to the state by candidates

Duncan Hunter, Ron Paul, Romney and Thompson.

"The clear winner on Saturday is Wyoming," said Rep. Amy Edmonds, R-Cheyenne, who is representing the Thompson campaign. "When else have Wyoming Republican voters been able to shake the hands of presidential candidates?"

In a last-minute effort to secure votes before Saturday, representatives for the candidates are placing a flurry of phone calls and sending e-mails by the hundreds.

Cubin, who is a state coordinator for the Romney campaign, said he has placed more than 100 calls in recent days on behalf of the candidate.

Most party members are thrilled to hear from the campaign, Cubin said, and they have lots of questions about where Romney stands on issues.

"I think people are very discriminating about who they are going to support," Cubin said.

Drake Hill, a former state GOP chairman and a local coordinator for the Thompson campaign, said he and other volunteers are making a final push today.

He has been struck by how informed committee members have become about the candidates. Immigration and national security seem to be the issues people are most interested in, he said.

"They also want to find somebody who can be a leader on foreign policy," he added.

It's unclear how the Iowa caucuses Thursday might affect Wyoming's conventions.

Cubin said it could have a big impact, as Iowa may provide clues about the front-runners, and Wyoming Republicans will want to support a candidate who has a good chance of winning the nomination.

"Everybody wants Wyoming to make a difference," Cubin said.

Tom Sansonetti, the 2008 county convention coordinator, said Wyoming Republicans probably won't have time to digest the Iowa results before Saturday.

"I don't think it's going to have very much effect at all," said Sansonetti, who helped mastermind the plan for the early county conventions.

Who'll prevail in Wyoming?

Those Republicans who have chosen a candidate aren't shy about explaining why.

Rep. Lorraine Quarberg of Thermopolis is backing Thompson, in part because of his "quiet confidence."

"He just believes in the same things I believe in," said Quarberg, who attended the national GOP convention in 1992. "He's strong on limited government, keeping our taxes at a minimum and Second Amendment rights."

Leigh Vosler, a committeewoman from Laramie County, has settled on Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, whom she admires for his leadership skills and for his background in business and government.

"I think he is also a moral person," Vosler said.

No polling has been released on where the candidates stand in Wyoming, but some Republican committee members say a couple of candidates - Romney and Thompson - may be rising to the top.

That's based largely on their efforts in the state and the number of potential delegates who have already voiced support for the candidates.

For the most part, candidates haven't flooded the airwaves and newspapers with advertisements as they have in Iowa. The exception is Paul, a Texas congressman who has been buying newspaper ads.

Paul has some vocal supporters in the state, but he is not expected to be a favorite on Saturday.

Hunter, a California congressman, has been making calls to the state and soliciting votes through direct mail.

Candidates who haven't reached out much to Wyoming Republicans - such as Rudy Giuliani, John McCain or Mike Huckabee - haven't generated the same level of support, and may even have created some detractors.

"I take it a little bit personally that they are not approaching Wyoming, that they feel we are not players," Vosler said.

jab
01-04-2008, 08:20 AM
..but he's not expected to be a favorite.

typical.

Thanks for posting the article.

Ethek
01-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm hopeful for a Romney, Paul finish. I have a feeling it might go Romney, McCain, Paul. We'll see.

ConstitutionGal
01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Iowa may provide clues about the front-runners, and Wyoming Republicans will want to support a candidate who has a good chance of winning the nomination.

This is pretty sad. People voting for who they think will win instead of who's the best man for the job. THIS is why MSM hype is so important. People get notions of who is winning from the media and then go out and actuall vote for that person. Sad.

Jeremiah
01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
..but he's not expected to be a favorite.

typical.

Thanks for posting the article.

This is GOOD. We are advertising in the newspapers and we have energetic volunteers on the ground. Imagine being favourite and coming in second, like Romney in Iowa. Better to be a dark horse in every race, work hard and keep climbing.

matratzac
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
what the hell is with the sudden mass support of thompson? jeez

did all these old people watch a bunch of law and order episodes or something? is that why?

ThePieSwindler
01-04-2008, 12:15 PM
WHAT IS WITH ALL THE FUCKING FRED THOMPSON CONVENTION DELEGATES?

Or is the paper just biased and happening to include them....

what the fuck???

RonPaulFanInGA
01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I think the top three with be some order of Ron Paul, Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson.

seapilot
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
what the hell is with the sudden mass support of thompson? jeez

did all these old people watch a bunch of law and order episodes or something? is that why?

Thompson is an easy excuse for being apathetic not really knowing the depth of the candidates and he hasnt been getting attacked like the others have. It really is an uneducated support of feeling he is the safe bet.

Fred Thompson is an actor playing like average Joe republican today all the while he was really a rich fat cat/ D.C Lobbyist for 20 years making thousands off the taxpayer trough.

Tell those that dont know political lobbying for money is really just legalized corruption. Fred Thompson is the first Lobbyist candidate running for President. http://www.newsmax.com/morris/thompson_lobbyist/2007/09/11/31672.html
He has campaign staff that are lobbyists, he recieves tons of contributions from Lobbyists.

:Now can I get a round of applause?: