PDA

View Full Version : VH-71 presidential helicopter

ratsbew
01-04-2008, 06:55 AM
There is a new program that is designed to replace the presidential helicopter (you know, the one that lands at the White House and takes the president to Camp David) with a new model. Guess what??? It is expected to cost $6 Billion dollars for 28 helicopters or $214.2 Million each!!!!!!!!!!! We are talking about $6 billion dollars of tax money being spent to transport 1 person! A Nimits class aircraft carrier only costs around $4.5 billion to make and $160 million per year to operate. What in the world has our government done!!!!!!! I am an aviation fanatic but this is over the top especially since the helicopter is of a foreign design (domestic production however).

Opinions?

DSmith
01-04-2008, 07:01 AM
link please?

ratsbew
01-04-2008, 07:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH-71

Wikipedia, take it with a grain of salt, but it even states that as of Dec 07 the cost has risen to $11 Billion. Remember this is all for one person. You can also do a search for VH-71 cost.

MicroBalrog
01-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Why on earth does the President need *28* of them?

ratsbew
01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I think they will be placed all over the world in case he happens to visit. Undoubtedly some will probably never be used in locations that he never visits.

foofighter20x
01-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I think they will be placed all over the world in case he happens to visit. Undoubtedly some will probably never be used in locations that he never visits.

Not true.

When I was stationed in Germany, Bush came to my base. They shipped one of the Marine One helos into Rhein-Main AB and had it at my airfield on standby. Bush came to the eveny by car, though.

The Germans were so pissed when they shut down the Autobahns in the surrounding areas.