PDA

View Full Version : blitz your local libraries and nursing homes

constituent
01-04-2008, 06:03 AM
at the libraries there is always some sort of senior citizen event going on (often it is classes, run by volunteers, to teach older folks how to use the internet), and nursing homes are full of them.

unfortunately, our world is truly shakespearean and we're in a classic battle of new and old orders... we have to learn to stand on the border of both... be a feste

in case you missed the c-span coverage last night, you know that the senior citizen contingent was large enough to just about drown everyone else out... so what?

we must persuade that contingent.

who would you vote for if your life was bed sores and fox news?

-whoever they told you to....

we have to be there to provide the elderly w/ an alternative message, and we really need to work on some get out the vote bus rides or something from nursing homes...

i think that'll be the key, we've got (and in many cases are) the young, now we really need to focus on the old...

just my . 02

constituent
01-04-2008, 06:49 AM
oh no, please not solutions....

but i don't want solutions....

Rob
01-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Already on it. I've made my grandmother a supporter, and have given her Ron Paul literature which she's spreading. She's also giving a presentation about Ron Paul at one of her assisted living community's assemblies. :D

PlaytoWin
01-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Sorry, double post.

PlaytoWin
01-04-2008, 08:41 AM
The key is, "What is the appropriate message to this constituency?" In my canvassing and phone calling seniors main 3 questions/concerns are:

1) How will Ron Paul help me afford my prescripitons and healthcare costs

Ron Paul is a physician who sees the healthcare issue from a doctor/patient perspective. He wants to get the gov't out of runnning healthcare and not pandering to the lobbies of HMOS, drug companies and the FDA. Socialized medicine will not work.

It is time to take back our health care. This is why Ron Paul supports:

Making all medical expenses tax deductible.

Eliminating federal regulations that discourage small businesses from providing coverage.

Giving doctors the freedom to collectively negotiate with insurance companies and drive down the cost of medical care.

Making every American eligible for a Health Savings Account (HSA), and removing the requirement that individuals must obtain a high-deductible insurance policy before opening an HSA.

Reform licensure requirements so that pharmacists and nurses can perform some basic functions to increase access to care and lower costs.

By removing federal regulations, encouraging competition, and presenting real choices, we can make our health care system the envy of the world once again.

2) How is Ron Paul going to protect social security and medicare if he eliminates income taxes?

First of all, Ron Paul wants to eliminate any taxes you currently pay on your Social Security checks. And he will make all medical expenses tax deductible. However, the real key is to halt the growth of gov't and you do that by cutting its budget back to year 2000 levels which will reduce the budget by one third. Understand our current foreign policy of billion dollar handouts to buy influence from other countries and our ongoing Iraq War and military troops around the globe is bankrupting this country. By reversing this policy you will go along way to reducing our federal budget.
3) I am old, but I worry about the future for my children and grandchildren

Rightfully so. Ron Paul is the only true fiscal conservative among the presidential candidates. The future of this country hangs on its economic and financial strength. We are a debtor nation of $9 Trillion dollars whose currency is devaluing against the rest of the world. If the gov't had to report their entitlement obligations such as medicare and social security, like all other companies in the U.S., the debt would ballon to $50 trillion. Your children and grandchildren now stand to suffer a form of indentured servitude where they will be working 8 months out of the year to fund entitlement obligations for seniors - all because Washington won't stop spending. Ron Paul is the only candidiate that does not introduce ideas of bigger government to solve our countries problems for entitlements, healthcare, and education. Ron Paul feels so strongly abou tthis, he refuses to participate in the lucrative congressional pension plan. He cannot in good conscience do so, because the politicians in washington should not receive easy street while shirking their responsibilities to the American people.

In any event that is my two cents. Anyone else have ideas to share?

constituent
01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
play to win, ^awesome post!

terryp
01-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Good thread.
The best things I have been doing is getting senior centers some dvds.
They have all day to watch and talk things up.
Plus, I think Dr. Paul's message is not conducive to sound bite thinking
and the vids help them better understand.

Myerz
01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I need a pdf now!

constituent
01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
myerz, which pdf?