PDA

View Full Version : We earned our 10%!

john_anderson_ii
01-04-2008, 03:09 AM
When I was a kid, I usually got good grades. At one point in time I was having a particularly hard time with learning Spanish. When I brought my dad the D on my report card, I thought he would bust my ass. He didn't though. He knew I worked my ass off trying to understand the subject, and he said I earned the D fair and square. It was my D, and I earned it, as such it did not reflect negatively on my efforts.

This applies to Iowa. I believe, the Iowan Grassroots earned every vote of that 10%. Of course mistakes were made, mistakes will always be made. If these mistakes came from negligence or laziness, then we didn't earn the 10%, we were given it, and that's a problem. However, if we did this honest and worked as hard as possible, then we earned every vote of that 10%. There is no shame in that.

Huckabee earned his votes with his status as a preacher. Romney earned his votes with his bank account. McCain and Thompson sure as hell didn't earn their votes. They didn't work hard in Iowa. Voters just gave them their votes.

We need to figure out why voters decided to throw in with McCain and Thompson, when those two weren't even trying to earn the Iowan vote. Then we need to emulate it. I've got a feeling this means we must somehow make Ron viable and respectable among local GOP organizations.

The official campaign didn't really help us earn those Iowan votes. I don't blame them, and I don't think it's a bad thing they chose to limit the resources they were willing to spend on Iowa. They knew very well Iowa wasn't very friendly territory, and that their money and Ron Paul's time would be better spent elsewhere.

Either way, 10% is a win for Iowan supporters on the ground. Keep your chin up, It's a respectable and hard fought chunk of votes. Don't let the fair weather sissy fans tell you otherwise. We aren't going to win every battle, and this battle wasn't even major. But the Iowan grassroots marched into the most anti-Ron Paul demographic we are likely to face this election, and earned 10% for Ron

BeFranklin
01-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Huckabee earned his votes with his status as a preacher. Romney earned his votes with his bank account. McCain and Thompson sure as hell didn't earn their votes. They didn't work hard in Iowa. Voters just gave them their votes.

We need to figure out why voters decided to throw in with McCain and Thompson, when those two weren't even trying to earn the Iowan vote. Then we need to emulate it. I've got a feeling this means we must somehow make Ron viable and respectable among local GOP organizations.

Being viable is the effect of the media declaring which candidates are so instead of the voter. To overcome that we can do either two things: Get the media to like us too. Get the voters to wake up to not using the old media.

The last tactic has perhaps not been tried as much as thought. We assume people are on the internet. Maybe we need to campaign to get most voters to use the internet as their primary source instead of trusting everyone is getting their news like we do.

nosebruise
01-04-2008, 03:27 AM
totally. we had nearly NO help by the media. we'd be sitting pretty right about now if we got as fair a chance as any of the "frontrunners." we earned every single vote and percent ourselves with no outside push.

i think that says a lot. candidates that dont have the media push RARELY do as well as this. and his support grows exponentially.

we just need to keep the momentum going.

Energy
01-04-2008, 03:38 AM
totally. we had nearly NO help by the media. we'd be sitting pretty right about now if we got as fair a chance as any of the "frontrunners." we earned every single vote and percent ourselves with no outside push.

i think that says a lot. candidates that dont have the media push RARELY do as well as this. and his support grows exponentially.

we just need to keep the momentum going.

It's a shame isn't it? The fact that many people are completely oblivious to Ron Paul demonstrates the power of old media.

Ron Paul has been unfairly and completely ignored (zero mention in election articles and line-ups, TIME magazine, web-only Larry King and Stossel), downplayed, attacked and smeared. We've worked pretty damn hard for the little coverage we've gotten. If the media had given fair coverage, we'd have a ton more coming on board or at least know that Ron Paul exists.

C-Dogg
01-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Who Wants Ten Percent Of Their Fingers Chopped Off?

Didn't Think So.

People Respect 10%. This Is The Beginning Of A Tsunami.

You're Now Sitting On The Beach, And The Water Has Just Sucked Out To The Ocean. And You're Like, Wtf, And Then You See That There's A Huge Wave On The Horizon And You're Going To Die.