PDA

View Full Version : NH matters, Iowa doesn't

Firefox
01-04-2008, 02:56 AM
Did you people really believe that Ron Paul had a chance of winning in IOWA? Just look at the make-up of Iowa, he had no chance. I am not at all surprised that he came in 5th.

NH has a history of voting against the establishment candidates. If RP can pick up the independent votes and get the votes of first time voters, he could come in 3rd or possibly 2nd.

If RP doesn't do well in NH, then you folks have a right to be pessimistic, but if he lands in the top 3 that is huge news, and will garner much media attention which equals more exposure.

To be honest, he did better than I thought he would in Iowa. He destroyed the once national front runner and media darling Rudy. It is stupid, childish and reactionary to lose hope because he didn't do too well in a backwards state like Iowa.

Let's see how NH goes before everyone get too negative about it. There is no way I am throwing my vote away on a candidate just because the herd tells me they're the best to run the country or the only person 'that has the chance of winning'.

I'm not going to vote for a particular party and I'm not influenced by herd opinion. Maybe you guys are.

Registered
01-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Did you people really believe that Ron Paul had a chance of winning in IOWA? Just look at the make-up of Iowa, he had no chance. I am not at all surprised that he came in 5th.

NH has a history of voting against the establishment candidates. If RP can pick up the independent votes and get the votes of first time voters, he could come in 3rd or possibly 2nd.

If RP doesn't do well in NH, then you folks have a right to be pessimistic, but if he lands in the top 3 that is huge news, will garner much media attention which equals more exposure.

To be honest, he did better than I thought he would in Iowa. He destroyed the once national front runner and media darling Rudy. It is stupid, childish and reactionary to lose hope because he didn't do too well in a backwoods state like Iowa.

Let's see how NH goes before everyone get too negative about it. There is no way I am throwing my vote away on a candidate just because the herd tells me they're the best to run the country or the only person 'that has the chance of winning'.

I'm not going to vote for a particular party and I'm not influenced by herd opinion. Maybe you guys are.

I guess, people are now worried since Obama crushed the Iowa caucus for the Dems, he will steal the ignorant independent and under 30 vote. So we can't necessarily rely on that.

Paulitician
01-04-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm thinking we wont be invited to the Fox Debate, especially with the pathetic 5th place. Most of us weren't expecting to win Iowa. All we ask for is 3rd. Ron Paul said that we'd have tens of thousands of votes (the number floating around is 22k). Ron Paul said that the polls and pundits would be disproven. They weren't. Instead, they were vindicated. Anyway, I agree it isn't the end of the world, and that NH is way more important. I doubt we can win, with the results we got yesterday and with such little time left, but who knows, hopefully people in NH see this and get motivated to really get out and vote.

pikerz
01-04-2008, 03:03 AM
Repeat it til it sinks in.

NH matters, Iowa doesn't.

Firefox
01-04-2008, 03:05 AM
lol. There was no way RP was going to come in the top three in IOWA.

He won't win NH either, but he could come in third. Which is great.

Paulitician
01-04-2008, 03:08 AM
lol. There was no way RP was going to come in the top three in IOWA.
Sure there was. All he needed was 4000 more votes at minimum.

He won't win NH either, but he could come in third. Which is great.
Agreed. 3rd or above = win. 4th or below = fail. We failed yesterday...

4,000 votes isn't a lot. We have had rallies that big. We could have gotten that extra 4000 votes with 50 more votes from every precint on average. I don't think that is much...

coffeewithchess
01-04-2008, 03:11 AM
NH matters a little...but South Carolina is the KEY. If RP doesn't win 1st in either of these...kiss it goodbye.

anotherone
01-04-2008, 03:12 AM
All we ask for is 3rd. Ron Paul said that we'd have tens of thousands of votes (the number floating around is 22k). Ron Paul said that the polls and pundits would be disproven. They weren't. Instead, they were vindicated.

I'm certain we have more than 22k supporters in Iowa. Problem is, they didn't come out to vote. Is that Ron Paul's fault or the voters' fault?

Our problem is with the voters.

Satertek
01-04-2008, 03:13 AM
I guess, people are now worried since Obama crushed the Iowa caucus for the Dems, he will steal the ignorant independent and under 30 vote. So we can't necessarily rely on that.

Aren't the primaries closed in NH? Hasn't the date for changing parties already passed?

pikerz
01-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Before 1992 the person elected president had always carried the New Hampshire primary, but Bill Clinton broke the pattern in 1992, as did George W. Bush in 2000.

NH is important.

Paulitician
01-04-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm certain we have more than 22k supporters in Iowa. Problem is, they didn't come out to vote. Is that Ron Paul's fault or the voters' fault?

Our problem is with the voters.
Most likely voters. So voters out there, take note. Turn out is essential.

However, I also think Ron Paul didn't do enough targeting the right demographic (and that is, the Republics over 40 who vote in the caucuses).

coffeewithchess
01-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Aren't the primaries closed in NH? Hasn't the date for changing parties already passed?

If you are an Independent, you can vote for either Republican or Democrat in New Hampshire if I'm not wrong.

jorlowitz
01-04-2008, 03:17 AM
10%. Of an entire state's Republicans. That's a lot of people considering who Paul is and where his campaign has come from. NH will be better. He has money to last. People who hear more about Paul and the more complicated (shocking) advice he has for the country will be able to make much better statements about him besides, "he can't win" or "but what about terrorism" or "but what about the poor". NH, Wyoming, South Carolina, Nevada, Florida... Paul will do at least reasonably well in ALL of these states while meanwhile the rest of the field hacks eachother to non-frontrunner pieces. 10% is pretty good.

pikerz
01-04-2008, 03:17 AM

Secretary of State William Gardner has set Oct. 12 as the last day to change affiliation. The voter checklist supervisors will meet that day to correct the voter list.

Gardner set the deadline last week when he moved up the filing period for candidates to run from Oct. 15 through Nov. 2.

New Hampshire allows same-day voter registration on election day, but people who want to switch affiliations must do so before the election. Independents can vote in either primary