PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Gated Communities and HOAs

daniroyer
01-04-2008, 01:45 AM
I unfortunately live in a very stuck up gated community with a very nasty Homeowners Association. My dad works for the HOA to boot, so I have to tread lightly. I posted about my recent battle over my RP lawn sign (they even tried to say we couldn't have a bumper sticker on our car) and the threatening of my dad's job over it.

That being said to set the mood of where I live, they also have a strong no soliciting policy. They threatened to oust a GIRLSCOUT'S family during cookie season a few years back. The girl was a Brownie for crying out loud.

So when I got my precinct list, I noticed that a good chunk of the power voters were located in my gated community. I can't go to their door and calling has less power. How do I handle them?

I'm going to mail them a slimjim and include a personal letter with my address and phone number and ask if they want more information to please contact me, the campaign office, or where to look on the web. I hate doing it, but if they invite me over, I'm not breaking the rules. I'll have my husband follow up with a phone call if they don't respond.

This is the best idea I could come up with to get the info out and not have another battle with the HOA.

(BTW, the HOA only made people take down Republican signs. Needless to say, I'm very pissed.)

paulie
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Never again will I buy a house in a HOA...never ever.

HEPennypacker
01-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Ask a friend to cover those homes in your neighborhood who does not live in that neighborhood. What are they going to threaten your friend with?

But then again, it is a gated community. Maybe there's a way for the friend to enter the neighborhood.

RonPaulFTW08
01-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Wow... what I'm wondering is where the heck do you live?! I didnt read the post about your yardsigns but that is just outrageous.. and bumper stickers too? We ran into 1 lady the other day canvassing who told us that she doesn't think we can "solicit" in her neighborhood. But she was actually nice enough to call and find out for sure, and ended up telling us that leaving political flyers was OK.