PDA

View Full Version : The Old Internet

Dave Pedersen
01-04-2008, 01:24 AM
Huh? Yup.

The oldsters have an internet too. Not as fast and not as flashy but it still works and it is still used. It is still used a lot. A WHOLE lot and although suggestions have been made to use it from time to time I think it has been vastly underrated by internet addicts such as most of us.

It is slow and cumbersome and inefficient and not particularly environmentally friendly it doesn't matter. It is still used by the very people we failed to reach in Iowa.

I'm talking about local newspapers. Small town bastions of communication.. old as the hills and just as boring and destined to become obsolete in a few more years but the old lion of local print is still the king of the jungle in many ways and to many people we rarely meet in our electronic quasiworlds.

Use it. Just like we use the internet. Blog it. Voice your opinions on every issue under the sun. Write like you are one of the people you are speaking to. To be heard in local newspapers you have to be civil and not strident. Just like at church. Been to church? After church people gather and make friends and chat sometimes about politics.. usually local politics but sometimes.. during an election year people chat about the politics of Washington D.C.

Its the old slow way of figuring things out. If you try to force anyone to understand something by this method you will not likely succeed. What works is to voice concerns and offer possible options. Possible solutions.

Maybe that Ron Paul is the best choice? Maybe.

Let people make their own conclusions. It is slow and that's just the way it is. The old internet is really stone age. But it works and people still use it.

Dave Pedersen
01-04-2008, 02:29 AM
Bumping my own op with an afterthought. Would you write a letter if you knew 500 people would read it? 1000 people? Write a letter to the editors of several newspapers. Small town newspapers. Its free and easy and reaches a lot of people who will actually read what you have written.

They've paid for their newspaper and they're darned well going to get their money's worth. If they ignore your letter they are wasting their own money.

Dieseler
01-04-2008, 02:56 AM
Bump.
Real good point.

WebFX
01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
good post

wis4rp
01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Huh? Yup.

Use it. Just like we use the internet. Blog it. Voice your opinions on every issue under the sun. Write like you are one of the people you are speaking to. To be heard in local newspapers you have to be civil and not strident.

great idea, I live in a rural area, not many people get their news from the internet (yet) and we need to hit the papers in counties that really matter!

I just found this this site... gave me a huge list of papers for my state (WI).

http://www.usnpl.com/

Note: I didn't do a very exhaustive search for the above, seems pretty good at first glance