Barack Obama recieved more votes in Iowa than:

Mike Huckabee
Mitt Romney
Fred Thompson
Rudy Giuliani
Duncan Hunter
------------------------------------
combined.

The only candidate who has any chance to beat Barack Obama in the general election is the one who can successfully compete for the Independent votes and the "change" votes. Barack Obama alone has nearly outpaced the ENTIRE republican base, so you can just imagine what happens when Hillary and Edwards are gone...

Only Ron Paul has a chance at the white house because he pulled more young people and Independents than any other GOP candidate. Of course if RP doesn't win the republican nomination, this also goes to show you that there's enough people coming off the sidelines to make a 3rd party run viable.

Shavenyak
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
How do you know he got more votes if Democrat numbers aren't released? Also the oddity of the Democrat caucus system does not compare to republican votes.

I DO AGREE, though, that Ron Paul is the only Republican that can run against Obama.

wxflyguy
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
He won't win in NH though...his support base doesn't cater to NH politicking. Unfortunately Clintax is going to probably take NH. RP will continue to surprise people though and people will start looking at him more intently.

ronpaulyourmom
01-04-2008, 12:52 AM
How do you know he got more votes if Democrat numbers aren't released? Also the oddity of the Democrat caucus system does not compare to republican votes.

I DO AGREE, though, that Ron Paul is the only Republican that can run against Obama.

Well, the turnout for the democratic caucus was 240,000 or so. I just went from there, I'm aware of the 2nd choice stuff and all that.

nc4rp
01-04-2008, 12:53 AM
two words = algorithmic curve

louisiana4liberty
01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Barack Obama recieved more votes in Iowa than:

Mike Huckabee
Mitt Romney
Fred Thompson
Rudy Giuliani
Duncan Hunter
------------------------------------
combined.

The only candidate who has any chance to beat Barack Obama in the general election is the one who can successfully compete for the Independent votes and the "change" votes. Barack Obama alone has nearly outpaced the ENTIRE republican base, so you can just imagine what happens when Hillary and Edwards are gone...

Only Ron Paul has a chance at the white house. Of course if RP doesn't win the republican nomination, this also goes to show you that there's enough people coming off the sidelines to make a 3rd party run viable.

I completely agree and brought this up earlier tonight, but they said I was drinking the haterade. Any Republican will lose in a general election. We are fighting for a slice of the smaller part of the general electorate pie if you will. The Republican parties name has just been ruined by the neocons. The ignorant masses will still vote Democrat just to spite the Republicans.

I think he would have a better chance as an independent.

wxflyguy
01-04-2008, 12:57 AM
...which will more than certainly give the office to a Democrat given our system. It makes more sense to try and establish a 3rd Party formation effort to get the other smaller parties - particularly the Libertarians and Constitutionalists - together. I sense this being a bigger grassroots movement even if RP doesn't get nominated...

ronpaulyourmom
01-04-2008, 12:59 AM
He won't win in NH though...his support base doesn't cater to NH politicking. Unfortunately Clintax is going to probably take NH. RP will continue to surprise people though and people will start looking at him more intently.

A quick glance at the most recent NH polls, compared to their counterparts in Iowa, suggests otherwise. And that's not factoring in the bounce he's about to get and the replays of the great speech he gave on the heels of his win tonight.

Fairly good chance that Obama takes NH imo.

ST0PandL00K
01-04-2008, 01:01 AM
get onto potential obama ppl in NH and convert them

Liberty Star
01-04-2008, 01:02 AM
RP has the best chance to beat Obama, if we can effectively establish/market Ron Paul brand and disseminate message of hope and change. Obama and Ron Paul both stand for change, both opposed Iraq war and are tough conteders, RP has edge on foreign policy/fiscal policy issues. One with smarter campaign will win in the end. We need to stay clear for fear marketing politics, way oversold and not much appetite among public.

louisiana4liberty
01-04-2008, 01:04 AM
get onto potential obama ppl in NH and convert them

These people rely on government programs too much. The blacks and hispanic voters would never go for an end to social security. BO is going to pull the black vote too. We need to convince more people to move toward the middle. The only way to do that is to push the anti-war effort and push for 3rd party.

alexpasch
01-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Honestly, the Republican party is screwed. Ron Paul is the only guy that would even have a chance, but even that would be a hard sell. I think there was more than one Republican who voted in the Dem caucus just to ensure Hillary doesn't get the nomination, because they are terrified of her and can at least stand Obama.