PDA

View Full Version : Bottom line - Ron Paul needs marketing

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
The RP message needs MARKETING!

Most people have no idea how to interpret what he says and just write him off as a irrelevant.

They need someone that can INTERPRET his message to people that aren't versed in Austrian Economic theory and aren't Constitutional scholars.

They need something they probably despise. But they need it or they will not reach the general public. They'll only reach an elite group that are willing to educate themselves and that's not many.

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Exactly, need to chuck it down to reach the mindless mobs.

But ONLY the campaign has that kind of cash to pull it off now.

Spike
we need to tell the message like were talking to a bunch of four year olds. Cause in reality thats what were facing.

Kade
I have the answer: A hero (http://dontworrysir.ytmnd.com/).

Molly1
01-04-2008, 12:14 AM
YES!!!!

that's how huckelberry won

Alabama Supporter
01-04-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm watching Obama's speech where he is drowned by signs that read "Change".

Huckabee has press conferences with cute backgrounds that read "Enough is enough" and "I like Mike". We need marketing really bad!!!

He really needs to narrow his message and not get off topic. I mean he was talkling about the damn civil war the week before the caucus.

ChooseLiberty
That's what I meant. The CAMPAIGN needs to hire some people that know this type of marketing.

Otherwise NOT MORE THAN 10% WILL EVER UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE.

Exactly, need to chuck it down to reach the mindless mobs.

But ONLY the campaign has that kind of cash to pull it off now.

greendiseaser
WE NEED A GEICO COMMERCIAL. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWyOk0o95uw&feature=related)
"Ron Paul is a Real Contender For President, But Not A Paid Entertainer, So We Hired One..."

:D :D :D

scoot87
I think too many Republicans are brainwashed into either the fear-mongering mantra of the War on Terror or appeal too much to a "religious guy" who wants to have Jesus to be mixed in with politics. The other portion are transfixed with Obama because he is a Democrat and it will take alot of push to change a democrat into a republican. We got some tough roads ahead of us...

Joseph Story
01-04-2008, 12:17 AM
You don't need marketing. You need to target your market. In Iowa we've overlooked the likely "conservative" and Republican voter. Instead, we campaign to democrats and liberals.

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Exactly - explain it too me like I'm 5 years old.

The campaign needs this or they cannot break thru.

we need to tell the message like were talking to a bunch of four year olds. Cause in reality thats what were facing.

Gadsdenfly
01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
If only they had the money ...

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Not really. Currently the target market is the 10% of people in the USA that will ever understand the message with the presentation it has now.

You don't need marketing. You need to target your market. In Iowa we've overlooked the likely "conservative" and Republican voter. Instead, we campaign to democrats and liberals.

angrydragon
01-04-2008, 12:22 AM
HQ should grab someone from a sports marketing background!

kyleAF
01-04-2008, 12:23 AM

Something on par with this???

Gas at 10 cents a gallon and falling!

Does gasoline at 10 cents a gallon and falling sound impossible in today’s world?

Well, if you think it’s impossible, you’re wrong. Because that’s where gasoline actually is, and it looks like it’s going even lower.

Of course, it’s not 10 cents a gallon in today’s paper money. But it is 10 cents a gallon in the Constitutional money of the United States, which is gold coin and bullion.

Gold is now at $700 per ounce, and rising. To the right is a picture of a $20 United States gold coin known as a Double Eagle. If you look carefully, at the bottom of the coin, you can actually see where it says “Twenty Dollars.”

This coin contains approximately one ounce of actual gold, which means that at today’s market price of gold, it’s worth $700. And this means that one gold dollar is worth $35 of today’s paper dollars. And that means that one gold dime is worth $3.50 in today’s paper money. This last, of course, is roughly what a gallon of gasoline costs in today’s paper money. Which means that a gallon of gasoline costs just 10 gold cents.

So why does a gallon of gasoline cost $3.50 in the paper money? Well, one explanation is that we’re expressing the price of gasoline in terms of a money that is itself very cheap and getting cheaper. Just think: if $20 gold dollars are worth $700 paper dollars, one paper dollar is worth only one thirty-fifth of a gold dollar. That’s less than three cents. It shouldn’t be surprising that buying things with three-cent dollars is going to require a lot of such dollars.

The key point here is that our money is getting cheaper and that’s why prices are rising. Don’t be surprised if in the future, gasoline is a lot more expensive in paper money than it is today and, at the same time, cheaper than it is today in our Constitutional gold money. Look for $5 per gallon gasoline in paper and seven cents per gallon gasoline in gold. That’s a real possibility.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/reisman6.html (source)

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 12:26 AM
BTW - to clarify

They don't necessarily need a lot more advertising - they need PROFESSIONAL HELP WITH THE MESSAGE

THEY NEED MORE MARKETING

There's a difference.

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Something like that.

They need to explain to people in terms they understand in professionally composed media buys.

The campaign is not going anywhere if the average person has no idea what he's talking about.

He might as well be giving speeches in ancient Latin or Greek.

driller80545
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
I don't think that the camaign headquarters have been very creative. Actually, I follow the campaign pretty closely and I can't see where they have done much of anything. I hate to say it, but I believe that Dr. Paul had better get some more imaginative people involved if he is serious about ever getting much of the general public to listen to him.

Alabama Supporter
01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Yep, I am questioning if they really want to win this thing. I hate to spread the FUD, but can you prove me wrong?

bucfish
Their is an awesome way to spread the word!!!

And we already have it in our grassroots system
WE just need to get a plan. If you got a PM from me read it!!!

Xonox
It's about time we take over the internet. Not just slamming bad articles, but spreading the word and the message, EVERYWHERE. Every off topic forum on the internet should have a Ron Paul thread on it. Emphasize how he compares to Obama, the youth on the internet will vote for Ron Paul if they know what he stands for!

Alabama Supporter
01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
We own the internet. We must reach the braindead masses.

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm almost positive they hate the whole marketing thing. They think the message carries on its own.

But it doesn't. Most people have no clue what he's talking about and we know it.

The need to HIRE PROFESSIONAL MARKETING PEOPLE.

I don't think that the camaign headquarters have been very creative. Actually, I follow the campaign pretty closely and I can't see where they have done much of anything. I hate to say it, but I believe that Dr. Paul had better get some more imaginative people involved if he is serious about ever getting much of the general public to listen to him.

bucfish
01-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Exactly there is a way to get a whole lot of googling going on

Vaughn
01-04-2008, 12:42 AM
I wonder if Paul would have gotten an extra thousand or so if he had had a better response to the negative smears that were launched against him? Oh well, guess we will never know...

Dr.3D
01-04-2008, 12:42 AM
I believe the campaign needs to reach out to the grass roots! They have needs and the grass roots have people who can fill those needs. The campaign needs to tap into the talents of the grass roots for help with things they need. There is no need to pay people for things the grass roots can take care of.

driller80545
01-04-2008, 12:44 AM
I believe the campaign needs to reach out to the grass roots! They have needs and the grass roots have people who can fill those needs. The campaign needs to tap into the talents of the grass roots for help with things they need. There is no need to pay people for things the grass roots can take care of.

Bump

Spike
01-04-2008, 12:44 AM

Yeah. I think the people at large need reassurance. These are shaky times, and someone saying "were going broke, our empire is falling" vs "i am change, i will save the economy and the world".. who do you think is gonna attract the scared little cat?

Its fantastic that Dr. Paul speaks the truth, but the majority of people are not ready for the truth. At least not now. This doesn't mean we have to compromise our message, we just gotta change our tune a little bit.

Our biggest problem is still trusting that the American people are educated about the issues, like the Fed.

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 12:45 AM
The target isn't Obama now. It's Huck and Romney.

The people who picked Huck, Romney and even Thompson in Iowa are Joe and Jane Sixpack.

Do they understand Austrian Economic theory? Do they cruise the net reading obscure articles on the history of The Constitution?

You know the answer.

It's about time we take over the internet. Not just slamming bad articles, but spreading the word and the message, EVERYWHERE. Every off topic forum on the internet should have a Ron Paul thread on it. Emphasize how he compares to Obama, the youth on the internet will vote for Ron Paul if they know what he stands for!

driller80545
I'm almost positive they hate the whole marketing thing. They think the message carries on its own.

But it doesn't. Most people have no clue what he's talking about and we know it.

The need to HIRE PROFESSIONAL MARKETING PEOPLE.

Bump

Ron2Win
We own the internet. We must reach the braindead masses.
WOW, exactly. This is the best post ever.

wowabunga
01-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Think Local.

I'm visiting the east coast for the holidays and the local Ron Paul Meetup group here in my hometown only meets once a month... sad. I had to drive 23 miles north to visit Chambersburg PA just to get my Ron Paul fix. I walked into the room and there sat 4 members quietly stuffing hand signed envelopes and mailing them to Michigan. I was overtaken with their quiet campaigning, inspired, I sat down and grabbed some envelopes and then there were 5 members.

The revolution made it this far, we'll go further. Remember no matter how much promotional glitter we produce, the main stream media will not cover such. The grass roots revolution is working, we raised millions by ourselves. The competition is envious of our energy... please lets think twice before we go and transmute our image to match theirs.

In the meantime go tell 7 strangers tomorrow about Ron Paul. And do it again the next day... get them to come to our side and they them selves infected with the light will tell 7 more strangers. The mainstream media churns out an endless stream of "noise of all shapes and discolor" and there is just no way we can compete on their level. On the other hand there's NO WAY they can compete with our revolution of truth.... a message told from person to person to person.

Peace and Joy
Ramblin Randy

( I'll have video of our envelope stuffing Pennsylvania Patriots in a few days... last week we had 5 members in attendance, this week's meeting there were close to 15 people in attendance... and over 2000 letters sent out..! )

AceNZ
01-04-2008, 12:49 AM
We can't rely on the campaign for this kind of thing. This is our R3volution, not theirs. I bet when RP came into this, he didn't expect to be doing anywhere near as well as he is. To make matters worse, he doesn't have the Republican Party Engine behind him, like the "leading" candidates do.

Instead of donating more to the official campaign, we should raise money to do our own campaigning -- hire a staff, produce and air commercials, etc. I, for one, would love to see some negative commercials created about several of the other candidates; I think they could have a huge impact.

wowabunga
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
>>Exactly - explain it too me like I'm 5 years old.<<

I do ever so much agree...!!!!!

Peace and Joy
Ramblin Randy

DjLoTi
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Yes yes and yes. Marketing. The key is that they must play on what they have that no one doesn't, 1 - RP or 2 - the support for RP

Dr.3D
01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Remember when they used to ask the grass roots people to do TV spots and submit them for review? I thought that was great! I saw a lot of very professional TV spots submitted. They need to do more of that type of thing.

mkrfctr
01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
instead of a translator for the deaf that stands next to the speaker and signs, we need a translator for the stupid

they can stand next to Paul and translate his intelligence into the grunts, moans, hand gestures and platitudes that will convince the voters to vote for RP

ICPC
01-04-2008, 12:56 AM
The RP message needs MARKETING!

Most people have no idea how to interpret what he says and just write him off as a irrelevant.

They need someone that can INTERPRET his message to people that aren't versed in Austrian Economic theory and aren't Constitutional scholars.

They need something they probably despise. But they need it or they will not reach the general public. They'll only reach an elite group that are willing to educate themselves and that's not many.

+1

Kalitechne
He needs to be seen as a wise and gentle grandfather like Ronald Reagan was seen. I know its irrational, but people really do care more about image and personality than they do about policy. Sweaters, good posture, and some pauses while speaking should be sufficient.

Dr.3D
instead of a translator for the deaf that stands next to the speaker and signs, we need a translator for the stupid

they can stand next to Paul and translate his intelligence into the grunts, moans, hand gestures and platitudes that will convince the voters to vote for RP

Well, not exactly for the stupid, but for the uninformed! Those people who are not educated to what Dr. Paul is saying.

ForTheRevolution
01-04-2008, 12:59 AM
This is 100% the truth and is exactly what I experienced at the caucus tonight.

People are inherintely lazy. Its that simple. They want a simple mesage, that makes sense. Not an easy thing with RP, but it HAS to happen.

supporter
01-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I feel the same way. I usually understand what he is saying, and if I don't, then I go look it up. He gets asked questions by the media that are far more sophisticated than anything asked of the other candidates.

Huckabee won this on charm alone. Nothing else. We need to simplify the message.

supporter
01-04-2008, 01:02 AM
This is 100% the truth and is exactly what I experienced at the caucus tonight.

People are inherintely lazy. Its that simple. They want a simple mesage, that makes sense. Not an easy thing with RP, but it HAS to happen.

Didn't they say 40% of the people hadn't made up their minds before they got to the caucus? That's important. I wouldn't be surprised if that was really where Fred got most of his support.

wowabunga
01-04-2008, 01:02 AM
>>I, for one, would love to see some negative commercials created about several of the other candidates; I think they could have a huge impact.<<

I overheard a media commentator mention rather recently that only Obamma, McCain and Paul were putting out messages that left the listener "feeling good" about themselves and our shared situation. That really made me stop in my own tracks and analyze how I myself was campaigning... mostly I'm positive but sometimes "the darkside" temps me and I loose my big smile :)

Peace and Joy
Ramblin Randy

wildflower
01-04-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm watching Obama's speech where he is drowned by signs that read "Change".

To me, that's what's so ironic about the whole thing. Ron Paul is the candidate who stands for ACTUAL change (from the status-quo) but Obama has taken that as a tactic for himself, and talks about "change", when in reality.... he's basically just spouting the same old Democrat stuff. ("we're the government and we're here to help you") He's not saying anything new, as far as I've heard, but because he's good at giving speeches, people have bought it hook line and sinker.

The good news is, if people really are wanting change, then Ron Paul is the man. He's the only one who stands for TRUE change!

nc4rp
01-04-2008, 01:03 AM
-
they need PROFESSIONAL HELP WITH THE MESSAGE

i agree. the marketing department needs to boost the quality of translation of the message.

fuzzybekool
01-04-2008, 01:04 AM
We gave it a valiant effort, but now we need real professionals to market the message. There is no shame in that. We gave him all this money so he can win. Hire some down right professional political marketeers, and let's roll, state by state.

Dr.3D
01-04-2008, 01:04 AM
>>I, for one, would love to see some negative commercials created about several of the other candidates; I think they could have a huge impact.<<

I overheard a media commentator mention rather recently that only Obamma, McCain and Paul were putting out messages that left the listener "feeling good" about themselves and our shared situation. That really made me stop in my own tracks and analyze how I myself was campaigning... mostly I'm positive but sometimes "the darkside" temps me and I loose my big smile :)

Peace and Joy
Ramblin Randy

Yes, the message should always be positive.

Clutch
01-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Think Local.

I'm visiting the east coast for the holidays and the local Ron Paul Meetup group here in my hometown only meets once a month... sad. I had to drive 23 miles north to visit Chambersburg PA just to get my Ron Paul fix. I walked into the room and there sat 4 members quietly stuffing hand signed envelopes and mailing them to Michigan. I was overtaken with their quiet campaigning, inspired, I sat down and grabbed some envelopes and then there were 5 members.

The revolution made it this far, we'll go further. Remember no matter how much promotional glitter we produce, the main stream media will not cover such. The grass roots revolution is working, we raised millions by ourselves. The competition is envious of our energy... please lets think twice before we go and transmute our image to match theirs.

In the meantime go tell 7 strangers tomorrow about Ron Paul. And do it again the next day... get them to come to our side and they them selves infected with the light will tell 7 more strangers. The mainstream media churns out an endless stream of "noise of all shapes and discolor" and there is just no way we can compete on their level. On the other hand there's NO WAY they can compete with our revolution of truth.... a message told from person to person to person.

Peace and Joy
Ramblin Randy

( I'll have video of our envelope stuffing Pennsylvania Patriots in a few days... last week we had 5 members in attendance, this week's meeting there were close to 15 people in attendance... and over 2000 letters sent out..! )

Its only with such dedication & "true" grass-roots efforts will Dr. Paul win!

Respect!

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 01:09 AM
They need to paint a picture of RP's vision for America.

What would a Ron Paul America look like?

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 01:10 AM
5 TV Commercials

1) End the IRS and how we will still pay for Gov't "stuff"
2) Economy: Why the US is screwed.
3) Foreign Policy: Why they hate us and wanna bomb us.
4) Welfare State: What is breaking the bank
5) Liberty: What it truly means to be free and WHY YOU MUST VOTE. TURNOUT!

All of these need to be 1 minute.

It's like a crash course that a 4 year old can understand.

Run these spots all over the Country and you will see the response we get.

Dr.3D
01-04-2008, 01:10 AM
To me, that's what's so ironic about the whole thing. Ron Paul is the candidate who stands for ACTUAL change (from the status-quo) but Obama has taken that as a tactic for himself, and talks about "change", when in reality.... he's basically just spouting the same old Democrat stuff. ("we're the government and we're here to help you") He's not saying anything new, as far as I've heard, but because he's good at giving speeches, people have bought it hook line and sinker.

The good news is, if people really are wanting change, then Ron Paul is the man. He's the only one who stands for TRUE change!

Maybe the idea is to express "REAL CHANGE".

Seems like many of the others are out there telling people, "I'll get you this or that", like they are giving out gifts. Would people having more money be a gift Ron Paul could give? If there are no income taxes, then people would have more money. Hence, more beer... etc. That might appeal to many. :D

2orb
01-04-2008, 01:13 AM
He needs to be seen as a wise and gentle grandfather like Ronald Reagan was seen. I know its irrational, but people really do care more about image and personality than they do about policy. Sweaters, good posture, and some pauses while speaking should be sufficient.

I think the following you tube vids is what you are talking about. He is much more comfortable just talking about the issues. When in an interview situation he seems a little tight.

This three part video is from the Veterans briefing the night before the caucus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXPLskjoG4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s798OtngJHU&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgjjYtJTaI&feature=related

Going obviously negative is not correct solution.

Trance Dance Master
01-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Ron Paul has lots of good marketers on his staff. Also, grassroots is going great as well. The Blimp never flew in Iowa, but just wait and see it's effects in the states where it does fly.

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Exactly. Answer all the questions that the Six Pack always asks.

And not just say we'll rely on the "free market". That only makes sense to economists.

5 TV Commercials

1) End the IRS and how we will still pay for Gov't "stuff"
2) Economy: Why the US is screwed.
3) Foreign Policy: Why they hate us and wanna bomb us.
4) Welfare State: What is breaking the bank
5) Liberty: What it truly means to be free and WHY YOU MUST VOTE. TURNOUT!

All of these need to be 1 minute.

It's like a crash course that a 4 year old can understand.

Run these spots all over the Country and you will see the response we get.

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 01:21 AM
To add -

AND get it on THEIR TEEVEE>

not the net, they don't learn about candidates on the net.

Exactly. Answer all the questions that the Six Pack always asks.

And not just say we'll rely on the "free market". That only makes sense to economists.

GunnyFreedom
01-04-2008, 01:22 AM
WE NEED A GEICO COMMERCIAL. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWyOk0o95uw&feature=related)
"Ron Paul is a Real Contender For President, But Not A Paid Entertainer, So We Hired One..."

:D :D :D

hahaha +10,000

wowabunga
01-04-2008, 01:38 AM
>>We gave it a valiant effort, but now we need real professionals to market the message. There is no shame in that. We gave him all this money so he can win. Hire some down right professional political marketeers, and let's roll, state by state.<<

Last night in Pennsylvania I bumped into a group of 7 strangers (ages in the 20's) and when asked if they had ever heard of Ron Paul they looked at me and said nope. Ouch. These were not bubbas, they were businessmen and women running a registration drive for a soon to open Golds Gym. I just happened to have a few slim jim fliers and handed them out.

As I stood there I worried that my words would would come out skewed and I would make a fool of myself and my candidate. Having once been a salesman I reached down deep and started to hit on the economy yada yada. It worked, and I headed back to the meetup.com meeting just a few doors down. My immediate reaction after leaving their business was that WE have a huge amount of work ahead of us all here in Ron Paul land.

Having once been a salesman, I suggest that HQ work on whipping up some "sales training" programs where we foot soldiers have to drill each other, where we role play the "objections and smears" that we will see out in the street. Off the top of my head, we might consider getting all our meetup buddies together and go somewhere pleasant for the weekend, maybe sking for the weekend and in the evening sit around the fire and drill our selves on the issues. Do we need sales training, I know I could use some brushup.. anyone wish to comment on this idea ?

Peace and Joy,
Ramblin Randy

PS: As a retired "marketing pro" my humble opinion on our "mighty grass roots revolution" is as follows..... and to borrow the now famous words of Wolf Blitzer... AMAZING AMAZING.

My Revolution Resume:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y5E7Qk9Fa9c

ChooseLiberty
01-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Yes. This is good. Also focus groups. Not in the way that Ghouliani would use them - to adjust his message - but to get the stuff they don't understand or that freaks them out so it can be refined and explained.

I suggest that HQ work on whipping up some "sales training" programs where we foot soldiers have to drill each other, where we role play the "objections and smears" that we will see out in the street. Off the top of my head, we might consider getting all our meetup buddies together and go somewhere pleasant for the weekend, maybe sking for the weekend and in the evening sit around the fire and drill our selves on the issues. Do we need sales training, I know I could use some brushup.. anyone wish to comment on this idea ?

Peace and Joy,
Ramblin Randy

PS: As a retired "marketing pro" my humble opinion on our "mighty grass roots revolution" is as follows..... and to borrow the now famous words of Wolf Blitzer... AMAZING AMAZING.

My Revolution Resume:[/url]

wowabunga
01-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Nice list Ron2Win... very nice. Can we use these same points and translate them into a small training program for our foot soldiers ? I am a yapper and can talk and talk but honestly I could not debate all 5 of these points effectively if I were to happen to be in a mixed crowd and ran into a versed Obama foot soldier.

>> 1) End the IRS and how we will still pay for Gov't "stuff"
>> 2) Economy: Why the US is screwed.
>> 3) Foreign Policy: Why they hate us and wanna bomb us.
>> 4) Welfare State: What is breaking the bank
>> 5) Liberty: What it truly means to be free and WHY YOU MUST VOTE. TURNOUT!

Could we use a boyscout/girl scout merit badge system for different levels of training on the issues ? I hark back to my youth when I was an honorary girl scout troupe leader for one weekend (something about I had the only working video camera in town) and I was privileged to be in attendance and film one of the Brownie Scout award celebrations...! I loved their singing:

"Make new friends, and keep the old..... One is Silver and the other is Gold"

Good Stuff...!
Ramblin Randy