PDA

View Full Version : We surpassed media expectations

MCockerill08
01-04-2008, 12:09 AM
We hit double digits, we have two delegates to the national convention.
We clearly distanced ourself from second-tier candidates like Hunter, and Keyes, as well as so-called "legitimate," candidates like Richardson, Dodd, and Biden. We also proved our viability by destroying Rudy and keeping pace with Fred Thompson and John McCain.
We may not have met OUR expectations, but we far exceeded media expectations as exemplified by all the praise we got from FNC and CNN. I had three friends call me tonight to express their surprise; they thought RP was just a Kucinich, (after all, Bill O'reilly said paul wouldn't get any more than 4% of the vote) but now they say that they may vote for him after all since he's obviously not "fringe," with 10% of the vote.
This was our first test, and while WE THE PAULITES always have lofty expectations, the fact of the matter is that we did better than every poll said we would and every media demagogue predicted. If this was our first test, I'd give us a B, and we CERTAINLY passed it.
IA wasn't even our best state, as the REpublican voters there tend to be ultra-religious statists. NH is much better for us. Let's focus on a top three finish there now, as well as a good outing in Wyoming Saturday. The latter is crucial because it could put us in third place among the delegates going into NH, and it could be easy for us to overwhelm the sparsely attended WY caucuses.

Joe3113
01-04-2008, 12:10 AM
We clearly distanced ourself from second-tier candidates like Hunter, and Keyes, as well as so-called "legitimate," candidates like Richardson, Dodd, and Biden. We also proved our viability by destroying Rudy and keeping pace with Fred Thompson and John McCain.
We may not have met OUR expectations, but we far exceeded media expectations as exemplified by all the hype we got from FNC and CNN. I had three friends call me tonight to express their surprise; they thought RP was just a Kucinich, but now they see that his support is there and real.
IA wasn't even our best state, as the REpublican voters there tend to be ultra-religious statists. NH is much better for us. Let's focus on a top three finish there now, as well as a good outing in Wyoming Saturday.

QFT

MCockerill08
01-04-2008, 12:16 AM
QFT

Thanks!

Nihilist23
01-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately our goal is to win delegate votes, not impress the corporate media and salivate over the scraps they throw at our feet.

Nash
01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately our goal is to win delegate votes, not impress the corporate media and salivate over the scraps they throw at our feet.

And we got two of them in a state that apparently likes Fascism.

Be happy.

anotherone
01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
There have been a couple of amazing posts here tonight - this is one of them. Thanks.

Blowback
01-04-2008, 12:20 AM

Be happy.

apparently - except Jefferson county - they love their freedom baby

Also, I would say we met my expectations.

slantedview
01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
brilliant.

SeanEdwards
01-04-2008, 12:23 AM
This is a good analysis.

MCockerill08
01-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.
We're doing this ONE STATE AT A TIME. Our focus now turns to the Wyoming caucuses, where (correct me if I'm wrong) a strong showing could put us ahead of Thompson and McCain in delegates!

Cardinal Red
01-04-2008, 12:25 AM
We may not have met OUR expectations, but we far exceeded media expectations as exemplified by all the praise we got from FNC and CNN. I had three friends call me tonight to express their surprise; they thought RP was just a Kucinich, (after all, Bill O'reilly said paul wouldn't get any more than 4% of the vote) but now they say that they may vote for him after all since he's obviously not "fringe," with 10% of the vote.
This was our first test, and while WE THE PAULITES always have lofty expectations, the fact of the matter is that we did better than every poll said we would and every media demagogue predicted. If this was our first test, I'd give us a B, and we CERTAINLY passed it.
IA wasn't even our best state, as the REpublican voters there tend to be ultra-religious statists. NH is much better for us. Let's focus on a top three finish there now, as well as a good outing in Wyoming Saturday. The latter is crucial because it could put us in third place among the delegates going into NH, and it could be easy for us to overwhelm the sparsely attended WY caucuses.

Bingo-- We need to step away from the Ron Paul bubble-- I would have liked to have done a few points better tonight, but for all fair-minded folks we put away the "Fringe" talk tonight and showed we were a serious campaign that can turn out votes. 95% of the world doesn't pay close attention to politics-- Those guys will be surprised and impressed that we broke double digits and crushed Rudy. Today was not an overwhelming victory, but it was a step forward nonetheless.

colecrowe
01-04-2008, 12:26 AM
awesome post

HOPE FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE

Trigonx
01-04-2008, 12:27 AM

QFT, ty for positive threads :)

Nihilist23
01-04-2008, 12:28 AM

Be happy.

I'm trying. I just don't think we have can afford the luxury of patting ourselves on the back when we fall short of our goals. Anything short of a victory is a failure.

I'm not saying we had a net loss. This was our first test and we passed, but not resoundingly. I stand by the fact we could have and should have done better, even if Iowa isn't an overwhelmingly accurate microcosm of the rest of America. We do have to make massive changes, both on our end and on HQ's end, if we are going to accelerate the trend towards getting nominated.

Duckman
01-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I think we need a grassroots moneybomb - pick a project!

MCockerill08
01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
I think we need a grassroots moneybomb - pick a project!

What we need to do is focus on winning the next caucus in Wyoming this Saturday!

colecrowe
01-04-2008, 12:43 AM
bump

seapilot
01-04-2008, 12:45 AM
apparently - except Jefferson county - they love their freedom baby

Also, I would say we met my expectations.

Jefferson county should declare thier independence from Iowa.:D

We pulled 2nd in 5 counties and 3rd in 8 counties, there are some liberty loving Iowans hiding in those cornfields!

Airborn
01-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Very nice post. I agree!

liberty_Forever
01-04-2008, 12:48 AM
We don't need more "moneybombs"... we need a serious organizational effort.

ronpaulitician
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
10,000 Iowans voted for a candidate who has been ridiculed by some/many in the media.

That's a pretty big accomplishment.

Many Paul haters made all sorts of promises if Paul would get double digits in ANY primary. It took only one to make them shut up.

MCockerill08
01-04-2008, 01:04 AM
10,000 Iowans voted for a candidate who has been ridiculed by some/many in the media.

That's a pretty big accomplishment.

Many Paul haters made all sorts of promises if Paul would get double digits in ANY primary. It took only one to make them shut up.

I agree.....

Xonox
01-04-2008, 01:11 AM
We really shut up all those who called Ron Paul a "kook" and said he had "no chance", and won over many who hadn't heard of Ron Paul before. Our numbers grow by the day.

CatherineBleish
01-04-2008, 01:24 AM
One of my boyfriend's friends just called and said "Ron Paul got 10%? Okay I guess I'll go check him out now"

haha months of talking about Ron Paul and the 10% is what pushed him over. I bet this is happening all over the country - skeptical yesterday, curiously excited today..

ThePieSwindler
01-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Actually, the 2 delegate is just the estimate by CNN based on polling numbers. The real number of delegates will be determined by the state convention. Right now we have alot of delegate going to the state convention, and apparently it wasnt that hard to get them there. I think theres a shot at 4-5+ delegates for the national convention, which would be sweet indeed. I think we can definately get third place in delegates!

Xonox
01-04-2008, 01:26 AM
One of my boyfriend's friends just called and said "Ron Paul got 10%? Okay I guess I'll go check him out now"

haha months of talking about Ron Paul and the 10% is what pushed him over. I bet this is happening all over the country - skeptical yesterday, curiously excited today..

Those folks, as well as if the enthusiasm on these forums tonight really does hit the streets, should spur the revolution onward to victory.
(and some people were on the verge of giving up at 10% lol)