PDA

View Full Version : Example of a professional campaign.

Ron2Win
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Just got this email:

from Barack Obama <info@barackobama.com>
reply-to info@barackobama.com,
date Jan 4, 2008 12:02 AM
subject Turn on your television

John--

We just won Iowa, and I'm about to head down to talk to everyone.

Democrats turned out in record numbers tonight, and independents and even some Republicans joined our party to stand together for change.

Thank you for everything you've done to make this possible.

Barack

C'mon, it's not that hard.

yongrel
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Just got this email:

from Barack Obama <info@barackobama.com>
reply-to info@barackobama.com,
date Jan 4, 2008 12:02 AM
subject Turn on your television

John--

We just won Iowa, and I'm about to head down to talk to everyone.

Democrats turned out in record numbers tonight, and independents and even some Republicans joined our party to stand together for change.

Thank you for everything you've done to make this possible.

Barack

C'mon, it's not that hard.

Stuff like this just makes me angry.

I'm not so bummed about 10% anymore, but the campaign is still making me furious.

ForTheRevolution
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
campaign revolution?

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Stuff like this just makes me angry.

I'm not so bummed about 10% anymore, but the campaign is still making me furious.
Seriously, when as the last time we got a letter from the good Dr.?

I mean, it takes 4 clicks

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 12:00 AM
campaign revolution?
huh?

StephenTC
01-04-2008, 12:01 AM
So Barack sent out a letter, whoopidedoo? And we get letters from RON all the time...

trey4sports
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
ehh this campaign staff seems to be a weak link it seems

Blowback
01-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Campaign staff is very strong. Most of the complainers seem to have joined very recently. Maybe if you had been here back in April you would understand how far this campaign has come. No other campain managers have pulled off anything like it in history.

Could they use just a little help on the commercials.... probably yea.

yongrel
01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Campaign staff is very strong. Most of the complainers seem to have joined very recently. Maybe if you had been here back in April you would understand how far this campaign has come. No other campain managers have pulled off anything like it in history.

I've been here for a while, and I've always been a defender of the campaign. Unitl recently. I'm less than thrilled with the way they've handled the media, and even less pleased with how thye chose to run RP in Iowa on an Abortion platform. Ugh.

MilitaryDave
01-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I don't need an email to retain me as an RP supporter, but others need to get absolutely hooked when they sign up. I agree, RP should stay more connected with his supporters over email.

Additionally, with all the primary hype, I check ronpaul2008.com several times a day and it REALLY irks me when there is no update, press release or article for 2 days or more.

I checked Huck's website a couple weeks back, and he was pumping out about 3-4 press releases a day!

Ron2Win

I think that you have a fair point. But a lot of what has been "pulled" was done by the grassroots.

Honestly, I only learned about Dr. Paul because of the Tea Party money bomb. What did the campaign have to do with that?

UtahApocalypse
Did they even send a e-mail to Iowans today?

Ron2Win
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't need an email to retain me as an RP supporter, but others need to get absolutely hooked when they sign up. I agree, RP should stay more connected with his supporters over email.

Additionally, with all the primary hype, I check ronpaul2008.com several times a day and it REALLY irks me when there is no update, press release or article for 2 days or more.

I checked Huck's website a couple weeks back, and he was pumping out about 3-4 press releases a day!
Exactly, we need to feel connected to something bigger than us.

That's why the money bombs work so well, we all helped him make history and get air time on the MSM.

I mean, there is only so much the Meetups can do, because a lot of people are broke there.

The message MUST get out.

Liberty_is_NORML
01-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Not being on this board since April has ZERO to do with one's knowledge of Ron Paul's campaign and his platform. That is a ridiculous statement. My MeetUp group in Indy have some extremely knowledgable RP supporters.

I lurked on this forum for months. I put off joining until very recently due to the fact that I thought that this message board would transcend the middle school mentality that is typical on the internet. I was wrong. Also, I didn't like the fact that I saw some posts that I believed to be offensive regarding race and creed...the very Collectivism that Ron Paul warns us of.

Ron Paul's message is too important to be left in the hands of current management.

The grassroots has driven this campaign - NOT HQ - and will continue to do so. The message drives the revolution and some political savvy is very much needed in this campaign.

WRellim
01-04-2008, 12:28 AM

I donate a good chunk back on April 1. Signed on to the website around the same time; So I've been around a good while.

Didn't really head anything substantial back from the campaign until summer.

My personal opinion of the campaign staff (especially national leadership) is that most of them are mediocre at best. (There ARE a few "diamonds in the rough" -- Bydlak is one. He could be a diamond, but needs a bit of polish, and he is learning fast!) But overall, hey, they may be fine for a "congressional campaign staff", but they are not "top notch" by any means.

Personal experience in face-to-face and phone interactions with them are normally VERY off-putting, and occasionally downright rude (when the context is just a "normal" interaction and there there is absolutely no need to be anything but friendly).

Years ago (96?) I was in Iowa on a business trip and just happened to be staying at the same motel (AmericInn in Burlington IA) as Pat Buchanen. Was shocked to "meet" Pat by the soda/candy machines at night and even though he was obviously tired and we had a nice short conversation, and the following morning I chatted with his campaign manager (whose name I cannot recall) over breakfast -- even though they had a schedule to keep, they still made time to chat briefly and shake hands and such.

Contrast that with the interaction with Lew Moore at the $1,000 per head private briefing for Ron Paul in Chicago last fall. The "Lewbot" (to me he looks like Lando Calrission's assistant in Empire -- especially when you add the Bluetooth headset!) -- anyway the Lewbot looked at me like I was one of the great "unwashed" (though I was in a very sharp suit at the time), he did NOT offer to shake my hand, and wouldn't give me the time of day (and NO, he was not "busy" or "on the phone" he was literally just standing there for 10 minutes) -- my conclusion? That they saw us as "cows" who hadn't given enough milk that day (the attendance at the briefing was LESS than they wanted -- despite the fact that as individuals, MOST of us had each donated what was asked.)

Add in the pretty bad commercials, the lack of professionality when you call HQ, etc, and I give them a D- grade for the entire semester.

If Ron Paul LOSES... IMHO, it will be significantly BECAUSE of his official campaign staff blowing it big time.

yongrel
01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
I donate a good chunk back on April 1. Signed on to the website around the same time; So I've been around a good while.

Didn't really head anything substantial back from the campaign until summer.

My personal opinion of the campaign staff (especially national leadership) is that most of them are mediocre at best. (There ARE a few "diamonds in the rough" -- Bydlak is one. He could be a diamond, but needs a bit of polish, and he is learning fast!) But overall, hey, they may be fine for a "congressional campaign staff", but they are not "top notch" by any means.

Personal experience in face-to-face and phone interactions with them are normally VERY off-putting, and occasionally downright rude (when the context is just a "normal" interaction and there there is absolutely no need to be anything but friendly).

Years ago (96?) I was in Iowa on a business trip and just happened to be staying at the same motel (AmericInn in Burlington IA) as Pat Buchanen. Was shocked to "meet" Pat by the soda/candy machines at night and even though he was obviously tired and we had a nice short conversation, and the following morning I chatted with his campaign manager (whose name I cannot recall) over breakfast -- even though they had a schedule to keep, they still made time to chat briefly and shake hands and such.

Contrast that with the interaction with Lew Moore at the $1,000 per head private briefing for Ron Paul in Chicago last fall. The "Lewbot" (to me he looks like Lando Calrission's assistant in Empire -- especially when you add the Bluetooth headset!) -- anyway the Lewbot looked at me like I was one of the great "unwashed" (though I was in a very sharp suit at the time), he did NOT offer to shake my hand, and wouldn't give me the time of day (and NO, he was not "busy" or "on the phone" he was literally just standing there for 10 minutes) -- my conclusion? That they saw us as "cows" who hadn't given enough milk that day (the attendance at the briefing was LESS than they wanted -- despite the fact that as individuals, MOST of us had each donated what was asked.)

Add in the pretty bad commercials, the lack of professionality when you call HQ, etc, and I give them a D- grade for the entire semester.

If Ron Paul LOSES... IMHO, it will be significantly BECAUSE of his official campaign staff blowing it big time.

This.

Ron Paul needs to axe some folks.