PDA

View Full Version : A Huge Solution

Petar
01-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Here is how I intend on translating the firestorm of support that exists online for Ron Paul into the printed press of every city in the USA:

The website will display a map of the 50 US States. Each State will display two figures. 1. Emails appearing in print 2. Direct responses appearing in print. Users will be directed to email their local newspapers with letters of support for Ron Paul. The user will then be directed to post that article + email address of that newspaper on the website for all to see, once it appears in print. Then, anyone browsing that post will be directed to write in to that newspaper to directly concur with the post, or to argue against anyone who is printed directly disagreeing, since the original poster will be directed to update the post whenever either of these occur. This way, all of RPs online supporters across the nation can be organized into a national printed press consuming swarm, utilizing a simple member protocol directed from a central location.

The website is completely designed, and a Ron Paul supporter/computer programmer has already built three quarters of it, before he unfortunately ran out of time. Here is what is on the test server so far:

h ttp://letters4liberty.whsites.net/emailblast/usmap.iface

A $500 donation will allow me to hire a programmer with the right experience to complete this project. Once complete, this website is going to help our campaign in a profound way.

http://letters4liberty.chipin.com/letters4liberty

If you can not afford to donate, then please help by bumping this thread. Thank you very much.

danda
01-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Here is how I intend on translating the firestorm of support that exists online for Ron Paul into the printed press of every city in the USA:

The website will display a map of the 50 US States. Each State will display two figures. 1. Emails appearing in print 2. Direct responses appearing in print. Users will be directed to email their local newspapers with letters of support for Ron Paul. The user will then be directed to post that article + email address of that newspaper on the website for all to see, once it appears in print. Then, anyone browsing that post will be directed to write in to that newspaper to directly concur with the post, or to argue against anyone who is printed directly disagreeing. The original poster will be directed to update the post whenever either of these occur. This way, all of RPs online supporters across the nation can be organized into a national printed press consuming swarm, utilizing a simple member protocol directed from a central location.

The website is completely designed, and a Ron Paul supporter/computer programmer has already built three quarters of it, before he unfortunately ran out of time. Here is what is on the test server so far:

h ttp://letters4liberty.whsites.net/emailblast/usmap.iface

A $500 donation will allow me to hire a programmer with the right experience to complete this project. Once complete, this website is going to help our campaign in a profound way.

http://letters4liberty.chipin.com/letters4liberty

If you can not afford to donate, then please help by bumping this thread. Thank you very much.

What technologies (programming language, database) are you using? And what are the pieces that are 1) completed, and 2) remain to be built. My company might be able to help out.

Petar
01-03-2008, 11:51 PM
What technologies (programming language, database) are you using? And what are the pieces that are 1) completed, and 2) remain to be built. My company might be able to help out.

First I must note that the original programer is available for consultation still, and though I'm not a programmer, I'll do my best to explain things.

The site is built in Java with Eclipse, JSF with IceFaces component library. Hibernate is used to generate the SQL tables for the back end, from the front end mapping. MySQL is the database application.

We have the map complete, with the auto-updating figures in place. Join/Login function is in place, though buggy.

The function for posting articles is in place. The table for listing posts has its first draft done and needs to be further developed. The mechanism for displaying posted articles still needs to be coded.

The mechanism for updating a post with a responses needs to be coded. That will entail a user clicking on a link that says "update" from the main page, being shown a table listing all of their posts that they have submitted, and then being able to add additional articles to that post, for the most part.

If you would like, I could provide you with source code, instructions for creating the MySQL database to run the app, a series of 10 images that display the complete flow of the website, and also a specific list of things that need to be coded, with references to the project guide.

Thank you very much for your interest in this project.

jasonuher
01-04-2008, 12:03 AM
The site is built in Java with Eclipse, JSF with IceFaces component library. Hibernate is used to generate the SQL tables for the back end, from the front end mapping. MySQL is the database application.

Frankly, with that much abstraction, I would have to say that you would be much better just starting over from scratch with a real programmer who actually knows javascript and SQL. Things like IceFaces and Hibernate may be easy to use, but only serve to add a level of abstraction that complicates the final result to an unmanageable mess.

Just use standard MySQL, javascript and php or asp AJAX functions, it will be much easier in the end.

PM me and I might be able to help out with specific programming pieces as I have time, but I can't do any aesthetic design at all (cause I suck).

Mark
01-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Frankly, with that much abstraction, I would have to say that you would be much better just starting over from scratch with a real programmer who actually knows javascript and SQL. Things like IceFaces and Hibernate may be easy to use, but only serve to add a level of abstraction that complicates the final result to an unmanageable mess.

Just use standard MySQL, javascript and php or asp AJAX functions, it will be much easier in the end.

PM me and I might be able to help out with specific programming pieces as I have time, but I can't do any aesthetic design at all (cause I suck).

Right. I agree. Start over, especially since the new programmer is having trouble getting it to work.

It's sometimes MUCH harder trying to fix someone else's work than just starting again.

It shouldn't be difficult to create a simple MySQL database that holds that type of data.

Doesn't sound complicated at all. Should be easy to do. I wouldn't think you'd really need a fancy map.

Just some way to see what's been written and where. Could be just a simple link to a page displaying the info.

Petar
01-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Right. I agree. Start over, especially since the new programmer is having trouble getting it to work.

It's sometimes MUCH harder trying to fix someone else's work than just starting again.

It shouldn't be difficult to create a simple MySQL database that holds that type of data.

Doesn't sound complicated at all. Should be easy to do. I wouldn't think you'd really need a fancy map.

Just some way to see what's been written and where. Could be just a simple link to a page displaying the info.

Well, I'd be willing to concede that starting over has the possibility of being a much better option, but the map with the figures on the main page is really integral to the way I designed the whole thing to work, if you'd check out the model:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dm1mmgldya9

Besides, it's not as if presenting a bunch of figures on a map should be exceedingly difficult to code. I think the websites gonna work much better this way, it's staying.

Now, how long do any of you think this may take any one of you to build from scratch hypothetically? Could you do it? Could I pay you to do it. This really needs to be done now for the sake of this whole movement. Please help.

Petar
01-04-2008, 04:43 AM
bump

Registered
01-04-2008, 04:57 AM
are you really an engineer?

i mean, bump :)

szczebrzeszyn
01-04-2008, 05:07 AM
I think the selection of tools you have chosen is an overkill and the html produced is horrible. It could be done with some simple tools other user mentioned before and you wouldn't have such a hard time finding people to do it for free. Sorry for being critical, but I'm a webdev :)

Petar
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I don't care how it gets built anymore, as long as it works very well, and gets done very soon. Of course I'd like it to look very nice as well, so yes, I don't mind your critical analysis at all. Another member is going over the project right now, and figuring out how he may be able to help. I'll keep everyone posted.

Petar
01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
bump

slantedview
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM

the work that was done so far is very clean, i can attest to that.

Petar
01-04-2008, 11:43 PM
bump

techxplosion
01-05-2008, 12:06 AM
bump

Petar
01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm now working with a JSF web programmer out of Pakistan. He even appreciates this movement after I told him about it. He seems to be working out great so far. I'll update the post when I have more info.

Abyss
01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
bump bump bump.

I'm SURE we have some programmers on here, why hire an outside oe??

driller80545
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Keep pushing social. git er done

Petar
01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
bump bump bump.

I'm SURE we have some programmers on here, why hire an outside oe??

Yeah, there's tons of programmers around, but trust me, as of this point, the Pakistani guy that I am working with right now is proving absolutely INVALUABLE...I meen if I did happen to find another JSF programmer with a bunch of time that wanted to volunteer, then that would be great, but it is much easier said than done....herding cats my friend..HERDING CATS! Even with a KILLER idea.

:)

Petar
01-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Keep pushing social. git er done

By God I shall my friend...TRUST ME...this guy that I'm working with right now is wonderful, so with a bit of luck this thing'll be up in no time, and we'll be talking over the papers very soon my friend...GODSPEED JOHN GLENN!!!

Petar
01-05-2008, 04:15 PM
bizzump

PimpBlimp
01-05-2008, 04:21 PM
+$10

Do you have a domain and temporary page up yet?

AKBryant54
01-05-2008, 04:37 PM
bump for great justice

PimpBlimp
01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
bump

dircha
01-05-2008, 05:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with the technology selection.

Starting over from scratch is almost always the wrong decision.

Petar
01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with the technology selection.

Starting over from scratch is almost always the wrong decision.

Yes, fortunately development is moving forward quite well, and the selected technologies do have a various set of distinct advantages.

Petar
01-05-2008, 08:03 PM
+$10

Do you have a domain and temporary page up yet?

Yes, I have the perfect domain purchased, and I also have preliminary work up on the test server:

http://letters4liberty.whsites.net/emailblast/usmap.iface

It's ugly right now, but it will be beautiful very soon.

Mark
01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
bump

Somebody_Else
01-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Bump

ando1brett
01-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Blimpity Bump
+1

TheTruth
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Bump

jake
01-06-2008, 12:41 PM
bump. I had a similar idea many months ago so I fully support this initiative.

jake
01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
maybe you could model the look of the map off of the AOL "straw poll" site. looks pretty slick.

Petar
01-06-2008, 01:24 PM
maybe you could model the look of the map off of the AOL "straw poll" site. looks pretty slick.

check it out, here is the model of the main page:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9961/4mainpagefd1.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4mainpagefd1.jpg)

All4RP2008
01-06-2008, 01:24 PM
When do you think it will done?

Petar
01-06-2008, 03:09 PM
The programmer that I'm working with right now is excellent, with a bit of luck I hope to be done within under a week from now.

bolidew
01-06-2008, 05:56 PM
This is creative.

Abyss
01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
cool gl man

John E
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I hope it works out

Areign
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Bump for good ideas.

Petar
01-07-2008, 09:50 AM
cool gl man

Thanks man, it's designed to look like a military operation.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I love it! Let me know as soon as I can donate to this project as I want to see it up and running!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
bumpity bump

slantedview
01-07-2008, 02:18 PM
The programmer that I'm working with right now is excellent, with a bit of luck I hope to be done within under a week from now.

keep us updated of progress.

Petar
01-07-2008, 02:54 PM
keep us updated of progress.

Well, heres some technical info on the progress....Muhammad, my awsome Pakistani JSF programmer, has studied the component library that we are using (IceFaces), and has already started making improvements using it. As for the database side of things, he knows hibernate, but is new to the annotation method, so he is on top of studying that now too. So once more, with a bit of luck, we'll be able to wrap this up within under a week I hope. Will keep everyone posted.

Petar
01-08-2008, 01:25 AM
bump

Corydoras
01-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Do you think you can get enough people to use this to make it worthwhile? That is, are you confident you can get the word out to so many people that you will have enough users?

Petar
01-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Yes, I feel certain that this will go completely viral

Petar
01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
self bump

Truefiction
01-09-2008, 02:33 PM
We won counties in Iowa with ideas like this!

jcims
01-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Any thoughts if something like the idea in the following thread could be/should be dovetailed into this application? (Presuming it has any merit)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=898126

Sergeant Brother
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
I think this could be a good idea, unfortunately I'm tapped out at the moment

tamor
01-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Love seeing organization

Jordan
01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Bump