PDA

View Full Version : Paul draws a colorful crowd

Noodles
07-16-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/2007-7-15-pa-ron-paul

Daveforliberty
07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Aside from the last line, this is a terriffic article.

drinkbleach
07-16-2007, 01:24 PM
"The purpose of the Constitution is to restrain government, not to restrain the people," said Paul, who noted his first actions if elected president would include repealing the Patriot Act and suspending warrant-less searches.

I'm sure Ron Paul mentioned doing those things and I bet the writer threw that in there for the liberal slant of her target audience, but from what I can tell the first things Ron Paul would do would be to reform our tax system.

DeadheadForPaul
07-16-2007, 01:43 PM
I feel like the exotic dancer was put in there to turn voters off to Paul. Anyone else get that vibe?

jj111
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Either that or just to "spice up" the story, and slant the story towards the desired headline of a "colorful" crowd. In any case, it was bad journalism to feature an exotic dancer who talks about all the illegal drugs he likes to use..... Simply not representative of the crowd..... Typical of newpaper writers these days.... Make up an interesting headline, then go out of your way to slant the story ot fit the headline.... Maybe also they consider that "balanced" to write something generally considered derogatory in an article about a candidate, after you've said some good things....

jj111
07-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Not considered derogatory by ME, but considered derogatory by many others.... That's because I am tolerant....

SeanEdwards
07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
I feel like the exotic dancer was put in there to turn voters off to Paul. Anyone else get that vibe?

Maybe... but it was factual. I saw that guy walking around with a stuffed monkey on his back.

Keep in mind, this is a SF Bay area paper, so don't automatically assume that talking about gay exotic dancers is a negative smear. For that paper, a smear would more likely be to describe some pro-life pro-second amendment supporters.

DeadheadForPaul
07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Not considered derogatory by ME, but considered derogatory by many others.... That's because I am tolerant....

I have no problem with the individual's personal lifestyle. I just think the aim of the writer was "hey, look! theyve got exotic dancers who use drugs". I'm sure there are none of those at Dem meetings... ;)