PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Uses Loophole to Avoid Reporting Fundraising

Razmear
07-16-2007, 11:07 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3379643&page=1

Former Sen. Fred Thompson, R-Tenn., has avoided revealing his fundraising figures by exploiting a legal loophole whereby he says he is simply "testing the waters" for a campaign — even as his supporters build an infrastructure for his all-but-official run.

But supporters of campaign finance reform, as well as Thompson's opponents, say that he is violating at least the spirit of the law, despite his past support for openness in government and the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform law.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-16-2007, 11:26 AM
We need to continually bring up his essential support of McCain-Feingold, and quote McCain's Chief of Staff at the time who praised Thompson for his support, saying it wouldn't have passed without him.

DisabledVet
07-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I smell a Rat.... this is great....already Thompson is showing his disrespect for the election process....

torchbearer
07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Fred is showing his disrespect for the american people.

bojo68
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, he's doing what Ron Paul is espousing, getting as far away from govt. as possible. To see people here calling what did a "loophole" is amazing.

MikeStanart
07-16-2007, 12:02 PM
He's just getting publicity.

I mean, it's effective right? We're talking about it now.

If he is infact breaking a law, then he should be morally inclined to report.
However, if he's not....there's not a lot we can say about it.

Whatever the case, his strategy of "testing the waters" is giving him publicity, however this act will probably make him look unfavorable upon potential voters.

Good for us; in essence.

Starks
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Thompson isn't breaking any rules. Until he declares his candidacy and files the paperwork, he's not bound by BCRA.

torchbearer
07-16-2007, 12:06 PM
A rigged game is still a rigged game.

buffalokid777
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I always thought Fred Thompson had the heart of criminal.

NOW he's just proving what I thought right!

Another Neocon shill who will do whatever he pleases for his masters no matter what the constitution or law of the land says.

Hrmmmm.....Where have we seen this before?

Oh yeah....I remember.....that Bush and Cheney guy in the whitehouse ever since they got in there!