PDA

View Full Version : Wash Post on 2Q fundraising

Bradley in DC
07-16-2007, 06:18 AM
. . . Those now struggling include former Wisconsin governor Tommy G. Thompson (R), who, when debt is factored in, is now operating almost $6,000 in the red, and former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee (R), who has $435,000 left.

"My goal for the second quarter was to have enough cash to get through the Iowa straw poll, which we have," Huckabee said in a statement, referring to a major gathering of Republicans in Ames, Iowa, next month. . .

McCain ended June with $3.2 million in cash on hand, with $1.9 million available for the primary campaign, but was saddled with $1.8 million in debt. His supporters said he has a strong enough base of support, and is such a well-known figure, that he can proceed with a vigorous if scaled-back effort.

"I think what you'll see is basically the campaign starting over with a great donor list and a great finance committee," said Charlie Black, a longtime McCain fundraiser and adviser. "If we can raise enough money to keep to our scaled-down budget, we'll be fine."

Of the candidates mounting a serious push for the 2008 nomination, records released yesterday show that among Republicans, Thompson, Huckabee and Sen. Sam Brownback (Kan.) all have less than $1 million. Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) also has less than $1 million. . .

One exception among long-shot candidates is Rep. Ron Paul (Tex.), who has parlayed high-profile moments in the Republican debate and a frugal campaign into a balance of $2.4 million.

He is one of the few candidates from either party to raise more in the second three months of the year than in the first.

"Our fundraising speaks to the grass-roots explosion of our campaign," Paul spokesman Jesse Benton told the Associated Press. "It's very potent, very powerful and very exciting."

For some low-profile candidates, prospecting for donors can be particularly costly -- whether it's spending $6,313 to wine and dine supporters at the 21 Club in New York, as Biden did, or $675,195 to send out literature, as Brownback did. That was more than the $539,517 Paul spent on his entire campaign in the past three months.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/15/AR2007071500465.html?referrer=email

peruvianRP
07-16-2007, 09:21 AM
man I wish Ron Paul was my finance consultant. He just freaking knows how to make the money work.

Bergie Bergeron
07-16-2007, 09:41 AM
When is Q3?

Bradley in DC
07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
When is Q3?

July-September