PDA

View Full Version : 3 Top candidates to skip Texas Republican Straw Poll

lynnf
07-15-2007, 08:01 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/state_news/story/169626.html

excerpt:

Three of the best-known candidates have said they will skip Texas' straw poll.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. He "continues to gain ground nationwide, especially in the early states of Iowa and New Hampshire," said spokeswoman Gail Gitcho. By skipping Texas, Romney "can continue his strong campaigning in those early states."

Arizona Sen. John McCain, who isn't participating in the Iowa straw poll. But "Texas continues to be an important state to the senator," said spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who also isn't participating in the Iowa poll. "We simply need to focus our reserves more toward the actual election," spokesman Elliott Bundy said. .......

lynn

UCFGavin
07-15-2007, 08:02 PM
lets get dr. paul some love in texas!! wasn't he polling 6% there?

kalami
07-15-2007, 08:03 PM
I don't understand. Does Giuliani's team think they have it in the bag?

UCFGavin
07-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't understand. Does Giuliani's team think they have it in the bag?

of course. his biggest competition so far hasn't even declared candidacy and IMO will be ripped apart when he does.

spacebetween
07-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Ron should have no problem winning this one!

DjLoTi
07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
The more they shun these things, the more they're screwing tradition and making it more difficult for the normal political process to occur. Hopefully there's a big show of support for Paul, who actually takes the time to attend these events and follows tradition.

lynnf
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM

It looks like from the article that RP hasn't decided to attend himself, yet.

Don't take it for granted, RP isn't well-known in Texas and the power structure
has a good control over the process. It should be a real dog-fight.

lynn

Warhawk
07-15-2007, 08:27 PM
It looks like from the article that RP hasn't decided to attend himself, yet.

Don't take it for granted, RP isn't well-known in Texas and the power structure
has a good control over the process. It should be a real dog-fight.

lynn

He's polling better in Texas than most other states, he's a congressman from Texas, he raised the most money in Texas this quarter by far.

How is he not well-known in Texas?

Phil M
07-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Not likely:

"About 41,000 people are eligible to attend -- those who were delegates or alternates to one of the last four GOP state conventions or one of the last two GOP national conventions."

We'll need a lot of defections.

Bryan
07-15-2007, 08:39 PM
How many people do you know that don't know who their own congressman is? Who remembers 9/11? :)

ButchHowdy
07-15-2007, 08:52 PM
He's polling better in Texas than most other states, he's a congressman from Texas, he raised the most money in Texas this quarter by far.

TEXAS is BIG . . . even the water's BIG!

ScotTX
07-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Texas will turn out for Dr. Paul. That's why the other guys are not coming. They know that they will be embarrassed if they do. Texas is Ron Paul country!

DXDoug
07-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Texas contributed the most last Quarter i think could be mistaken

jblosser
07-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I don't know why they said he hasn't decided if he's coming, here in DFW we're neck deep in plans for a fundraiser/rally here to coincide with the poll and his son who lives in the area is pulling a group together to meet him at the airport when he arrives. It's happening.

We don't really need "defections" from the delegates. A lot of them are Ron Paul supporters already. And he's GOP, no defecting required. :D

We are going to own this event for Dr. Paul, and on behalf of the DFW groups let me invite all of you to come enjoy the fun. Let us show you that Texas is actually a friendly place. Dr. Paul is a real Texan, that W guy is *not*. :mad:

lynnf
07-16-2007, 03:20 AM

So you make the case for RP being better known in Texas than other states.

As far as Texas goes, he's not a senator, so he doesn't represent the whole state.
He is one of some 32-33 representatives in the House - as someone else pointed out, many do not know who their own representative is, much less a representative on the other side of the state.

lynn

Slugg
07-16-2007, 03:58 AM
The Austin Meetup Group is the largest, most coordinated, and fastest growing group in the country. If there is even a remote chance of Dr. Paul doing well in Texas, they will secure it for us....that I am sure of.

The only down side to Texas straw poll is that it is not an open poll, but only for former delegates and such....so this kind of sucks...but, it narrows the target audience for our 'troops' on the ground. I trust they will focus their efforts on these people and get us a great turnout....Ron Paul should absolutely do the Texas Straw Poll.

Wyurm
07-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Texas has state pride, something alot of other states lack. Congressman Paul is from Texas so that combined with Alex Jones being in Austin (Alex was one of Ron's first publicly known supporters (yeah I know Alex is over-the-top)) is likely why you see more support for Dr. Paul there. Its also likely why the "top-tier" candidates don't want to go there. It would be like stepping on enemy turf. When I was in Texas, I was struck by the fact that Texans really love their state. They probably don't want the proposed Trans-Texas corridor, nor the illegal immigration problems etc... they are experiencing first-hand the things Dr. Paul wants to help put an end to.

Don't be fooled, even though the old media and the polls shun Dr. Paul, the other candidates know what a huge following he has. Also don't be fooled by the funds, all of Dr. Paul's funds come from people like you and me, not corporation backed donations.

paulitics
07-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Its very fishy how the four headed monster, esp Giuliani, keeps ducking out of straw polls. Personaly, I dont think Giuliani's true polll numbers are as high as they say, and a real live poll would expose this. Anyone agree?

beermotor
07-16-2007, 06:42 AM
I don't know why they said he hasn't decided if he's coming, here in DFW we're neck deep in plans for a fundraiser/rally here to coincide with the poll and his son who lives in the area is pulling a group together to meet him at the airport when he arrives. It's happening.

We don't really need "defections" from the delegates. A lot of them are Ron Paul supporters already. And he's GOP, no defecting required. :D

We are going to own this event for Dr. Paul, and on behalf of the DFW groups let me invite all of you to come enjoy the fun. Let us show you that Texas is actually a friendly place. Dr. Paul is a real Texan, that W guy is *not*. :mad:

Man, this is very encouraging. Keep up the good work over there.

lynnf
07-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Its very fishy how the four headed monster, esp Giuliani, keeps ducking out of straw polls. Personaly, I dont think Giuliani's true polll numbers are as high as they say, and a real live poll would expose this. Anyone agree?

Yes-- I agree. Like they're afraid to put up.

lynn

John of Des Moines
07-16-2007, 08:16 AM

It does not mean Judy's err... Rudy's name won't appear on the straw poll ballot. Both his and Mc Cain's will be on the Iowa SP ballot.

qedtanya
07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
I hate to tell y'all this, as I for one, LOVE Dr. Paul even though he's not my Congressman....but....our last President was from Texas, remember? A lot of Texans (at least some of the ones that I've spoken with) have decided that having another President from Texas isn't such a good idea, no matter HOW MUCH I try to explain to them that Dr. Paul is soooooooo much better than Bush and his moronic ideas. I do know that the Austin group is HUGE, the Fredericksburg group is, our San Antonio group is growing every day so lets hope that we can chage everyone's mind!

I wish I had gotten involved in this sooner, maybe I would have been able to vote in the Straw Poll....but politics never mattered to me before....