PDA

View Full Version : Question -- war

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
The President has the constitutional ability to go to war if we are in an immediate threat, right? How long can he conduct this war without Congressional approval?

yongrel
01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
http://bannedforever.ytmnd.com/

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Cute.

Answer the question.

Look, I know and agree to Congress needing to declare war. But, I am asking a logistical and constitutional question here. If we were attacked, does the president have the constitutional authority to retaliate? If he does, how long can it continue (constitutionally) without congressional approval? Three months? Six months?

constitutional
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
The President has the constitutional ability to go to war if we are in an immediate threat, right? How long can he conduct this war without Congressional approval?

That's a rhetoric question. Do you seriously expect it to be answered?

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Congress voted away their right to declare or not declare.

tboss
01-03-2008, 04:26 PM
That's a hard one.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:28 PM
That's a rhetoric question. Do you seriously expect it to be answered?

Yes. I don't see it as a rhetorical question. If you think you know the answer, instead of being sarcastic, why don't you just answer it?

If we are attacked, does the president have the constitutional authority to retaliate? Yes or No? (I'm talking about an emergency here)

If yes, how long can it constitutionally be conducted, without congressional approval?

These are honest questions. Please give me an honest answer, if you can.

yongrel
Cute.

Answer the question.

Look, I know and agree to Congress needing to declare war. But, I am asking a logistical and constitutional question here. If we were attacked, does the president have the constitutional authority to retaliate? If he does, how long can it continue (constitutionally) without congressional approval? Three months? Six months?

He has until 1/20/09.

constitutional
Cute.

Answer the question.

Congress has the power to not fund that war when it thinks president is out of line with the war.

freelance

Right. THEY voted to override (sic) the Constitution, even though it cannot be done.

Dave Pedersen
01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't know if it has been established. Seems reasonable that congress would be obliged to address the need for war as a priority issue and either declare war or countermand the decision of the chief executive.

freelance
01-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Right. THEY voted to override (sic) the Constitution, even though it cannot be done--at least legislatively.

john_anderson_ii
01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Right. THEY voted to override (sic) the Constitution, even though it cannot be done.

Exactly. One of the most cowardly acts a group of spineless politicians could undertake.

"I'm a senator....what's with this 'responsibility' and 'accountability' nonsense! Backbone isn't supposed to be required for this job!"

I think the President can play at General until emergency funds are exhausted and congress has to vote on a spending bill. I'm not 100% sure though.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Yeah, I know. What I am asking are constitutional questions. Per the Constitution, can the President retaliate against an attack? If so, how long until the Congress has to rule on it?

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I think the President can play at General until emergency funds are exhausted and congress has to vote on a spending bill. I'm not 100% sure though.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to find out. But, from a Constitutional perspective.

Ron2Win
01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
The real question is WHAT DEFINES AN EMINENT THREAT.

RobS
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes, the President is allowed constitutionally to go to war without Congressional approval in a time of emergency.

To say that Iraq was an emergency is a joke, only the insane would call it a emergency. Bush did not uphold the Constitution when he went into Iraq.

I do not believe there is a time limit. Congress can come back and cut funding, impeach etc. if they thought it was unconstitutional/not an emergency.... which should have happened.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
The real question is WHAT DEFINES AN EMINENT THREAT.

For sake of an example, how about the Chinese military coming up through the Mexican border and invading our country, killing and maiming everyone in their way.

How's that?

CodeMonkey
01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I know. What I am asking are constitutional questions. Per the Constitution, can the President retaliate against an attack? If so, how long until the Congress has to rule on it?

He has no authority to "retaliate" against an attack. As Commander-in-Chief, I think it is understood that he may use the military defensively, but the Constitution does not allow him to make attacks without a declaration of war.

Ron Paul Fan
01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
For sake of an example, how about the Chinese military coming up through the Mexican border and invading our country, killing and maiming everyone in their way.

How's that?

I don't think anyone would argue against using the military to defend the United States against an invasion of our borders.

LibertyEagle
Yes, the President is allowed constitutionally to go to war without Congressional approval in a time of emergency.

To say that Iraq was an emergency is a joke, only the insane would call it a emergency. Bush did not uphold the Constitution when he went into Iraq.

I do not believe there is a time limit. Congress can come back and cut funding, impeach etc. if they thought it was unconstitutional/not an emergency.... which should have happened.

Ok. These questions did not have to do with Iraq. More of a general question.

atilla
7 hours and 23 minutes, or until the damn commies surrender. whichever comes first.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think anyone would argue against using the military to defend the United States against an invasion of our borders.

I know, RPF. I agree.

I'm just trying to find out the de facto constitutional answer. Whether the president can do this. I think he can. But, as I recall, he can only do this so long, without congressional approval.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:42 PM
He has no authority to "retaliate" against an attack. As Commander-in-Chief, I think it is understood that he may use the military defensively, but the Constitution does not allow him to make attacks without a declaration of war.

Does he have the authority to "defend", if we are attacked?

Liberty Star
01-03-2008, 04:42 PM
As long we got the money and tolerence.

At $2 Billion per week, we could afford this war for even a decade without any risk of us going bankrupt.

Only 30% of Iraqis have been killed or orphaned so far, so there is room in that area too. There are 70% people that have not lost any family member there still despite all the gloom n doom in MSM about the war.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Surely, there is a constitutional answer to this question.

Ron Paul Fan
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I know, RPF. I agree.

I'm just trying to find out the de facto constitutional answer. Whether the president can do this. I think he can. But, as I recall, he can only do this so long, without congressional approval.

So here are the options:

1. Let the Chinese take over
2. Defend America

Is this a legitimate question? Is Congress going to meet and say, Mr. President we are not funding a war to defend America's borders. We welcome our new Chinese leaders!

Redmenace
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
In case of an unprovoked attack, the Executive Branch has the authority to act defensively in order to repel that attack. In order to go on the offensive it must then ask congress for a deceleration of war.

Liberty Star
01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Surely, there is a constitutional answer to this question.

In times of high fear, Constitution matters less and trust in the President matters more.

You're trying to pose a question that promotes free thinking and without injecting any fear from all the great looiming threats. That's way too libertarian and not very patriotic ... trust the President's judgment :)

aspiringconstitutionalist
01-03-2008, 04:50 PM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yongrel
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I know for a fact we have some Constitutional Lawyers on here. I'm sure we'll get an answer from one sooner or later.

freelance
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM

I don't think I'd call that retaliatory. I'd call it defensive if the Chinese attacked us within our boundaries.

freelance
01-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Damn, LE. That's a hard one, but one we need to find out about--EXACTLY!

CodeMonkey
01-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Does he have the authority to "defend", if we are attacked?

Actually I just looked it over and the Constitution gives Congress the power "To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions"

However, it does not say for the Army and/or Navy. These do not need to be "called forth"; they are pretty much always primed and ready.

As Commander-in-Chief of the military he would be able to command them to defend the borders... this doesn't require a declaration of war because it is not an act of war.

Electrostatic
01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Presidential Powers concerning war:

"The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States;"

Congressional Powers concerning war:

"To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions; "

CodeMonkey
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Presidential Powers concerning war:

"The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States;"

The bolded part is specific to the state militias, as they are not normally in service to the Federal government. The US Army and Navy are always in service to the US government, so the president is always their commander in chief.

idrake
01-03-2008, 05:09 PM

How's that?

I don't think the Constitution specifically states a duration. I believe the intention was the next convening of congress though.

constituent
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
If we were attacked, does the president have the constitutional authority to retaliate? If he does, how long can it continue (constitutionally) without congressional approval? Three months? Six months?

i think if the president wants to "retaliate" on my behalf he can do it himself for just as long as he'd like.;)

constituent
01-03-2008, 05:20 PM

How's that?

they'd never get through texas.

...better yet,

they'd better start in a wimpy state like California or something.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Damn, LE. That's a hard one, but one we need to find out about--EXACTLY!

Yes. I thought so too. Someone on a message board was concerned because they figured Paul would not defend our country, if it was attacked, until after Congress convened and declared war.

My understanding was that he could, but could only do so for x long, without Congressional approval. I wasn't sure though, so I thought I would ask.

It seems that no one as yet has the answer. :(

LibertyEagle
01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
they'd never get through texas.

...better yet,

they'd better start in a wimpy state like California or something.

LOL! Yeah, I know. That's one reason I love Texas.

This was a constitutional question though, for which I'm still trying to get an answer. Still hoping....

allyinoh
01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
LibertyEagle, I do not know the answer, but I wanted to say that I'm sorry some people think it's a joke and are not answering seriously.

I will try to find this information out but someone might answer before I find it. But I will try, it is an interesting question that people should know. =)

dircha
01-03-2008, 05:42 PM

60 + 30 days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution