PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question. Is Ron Paul against forcing people to buy Car Insurance?

werdd
01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
I would think this is a thing he would support? I mean, we have to have insurance right now to drive, i think it should be optional, personally.

ItsTime
01-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I believe that is a state issue state issue

werdd
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
If you think about it though, insurance prices would be driven down if it was optional, and those who dont have insurance would be forced to accept that they would lose everything they own in the event of the wreck. It would embolden the free market IMO. But i agree it is a likely state to state issue.

Santana28
01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
+1 exactly. same with healthcare. the issue is making healthcare/automotive insurance, etc affordable for everyone in the first place.

murrayrothbard
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
There is nothing wrong with the owner of a road requiring its patrons carry liability insurance. The real problem is that the state owns all the roads. But just because they state requires insurance doesn't make it necessarily evil.

john_anderson_ii
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
AFAIK it's a state issue as it is, and it's likely to remain that way. I'm 100% sure Ron is against any such law at a federal level.

anaconda
01-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I would think that a Libertarian would be able to make the claim that you are not entitled to expose your neighbor to undue risk, and thereby driving the premiums for uninsured motorist coverage sky high. But I agree that RP would want the States to each decide on the right balance of social compliance vs. the freedom to drive uninsured.

Dr.3D
01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I have often wondered why a person like Bill Gates would be required to have automobile insurance. Seems he would be able to afford to pay for what ever damage he caused if he wrecked his car and perhaps even killed somebody.

ConstitutionGal
01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
I have often wondered why a person like Bill Gates would be required to have automobile insurance. Seems he would be able to afford to pay for what ever damage he caused if he wrecked his car and perhaps even killed somebody.

In several states you can post a bond in a certain amount to cover what constitutes the lowest 'legal limit' of liability insurance in that state.

SeekLiberty
01-03-2008, 03:47 PM
In the State of New Hampshire, you're not required to have ANY auto insurance. :)

Here are "101 Reasons to Move to New Hampshire":

www.freestateproject.org/files/101-Reasons-to-Move-to-NH.pdf

For more info, go to www.freestateproject.org

- SL

Gorgy
01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think he would personally favor those types of laws or mandatory helmet laws or anything like that, but I think he realizes they are Constitutionally-authorized. States have police power within their borders and if they that's what they want to do (through support of the people), then that's what they get to do.

Mesogen
01-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't want to get hit by someone with no insurance. Basically, in that situation, I'm screwed because it's not worth it to sue, unless the car is totalled. But if they can't afford insurance then what will I get by suing them?