PDA

View Full Version : Pondering foreign policy.

cska80
01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I was just thinking about foreign policy and I became perplexed while thinking about conservative principles.

A conservative principle, which I agree with, is that individuals possess the power to save themselves and government does not have the power to save individuals. Everyone must be responsible for themselves. Also, we cannot save everyone. Some people just cannot be helped, beit through charity or government programs, etc, etc, etc.

Now, why is this principle not applied to foreign policy today relating to conservatism? This principle would mean that we cannot save everyone, and therefore countries should be responsible for themselves and let the chips fall where they may. We are responsible for ourselves, and therefore we respond to any attack made upon us, and not potential attacks that someone in our government says may come 10 years down the road.

This principle would translate into a people needing to partake in revolution or societal changes themselves, and not by force.

I may be just stating the obvious, but I never thought about this specific point before. By so called conservatives saying that we need to have all of this foreign intervention is basically hypocritical in that we should not be intervening in our own peoples problems, but we must in other countries problems.

Comments?

Talldude1412
01-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Of course its hypocritical, but they care little for the conservatism of old. Now conservatism means something completely different to them. It means Gittin them darnd terrorists, no matter what. It means giving the people of the world democracy. It's compassionate conservatism + 1990s liberal interventionism.