PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Straw Poll Plans - Who's going? What's going on?

Bryan
07-15-2007, 01:47 PM
The campaign has made it clear that it wants support at the Iowa Straw poll: "And thousands more need to come from around the country to participate and volunteer at the event."
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/events/iowa-straw-poll/

So who is planning on going? What is going on?

I'm getting all the necessary "permits, approvals and permissions" :) lined up to be in Iowa from Thursday August 9th through Sunday morning. Our group (should be 4) will be looking to help campaign while there.

Obviously Saturday from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm will be dedicated to the Straw Poll and helping with that but what's going on before or after? Will there be any organized rallies or otherwise?

Anyone else here going that is interested in meeting up for campaigning or lunch or dinner or whatever?

Starks
07-15-2007, 01:50 PM
How many people in total usually vote in these straw polls?

JoshLowry
07-15-2007, 01:52 PM
I think about 40,000 Iowa residents voted last year.

Dave
07-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I'll bring this up at the Des Moines meetup Monday night. We'd love to meet all of you!

It sounds like Dr. Paul will be on the ground in Iowa for at least a few days (and hopefully several) prior to the August 11 Ames Straw Poll so it sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities to rally. There will be a rally for the August 5 debate in Des Moines, too. We need all the bodies we can get. It's early on Sunday morning (This Week with George Stephy) so bring your coffee.

I do know that help is needed to put signs up in Hilton Coliseum on the morning of August 10. I promise that there will be TONS of other opportunities to help in Iowa between now and the day after the Straw Poll. Effort must be focused on getting Iowans to show up in Ames, pay $35 to participate, and vote for Ron Paul.

This is going to be so much fun! We're going to move the earth. Get here if you can! If you can't get here (and even if you can), sign up with the campaign to call Iowans. We're behind the 8-ball and we've got to spread the word in Iowa...FAST!

Dave
07-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I think about 40,000 Iowa residents voted last year.

The last Ames Straw Poll was in 1999. (I know you knew that, Josh).

JoshLowry
07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Haha, yeah, I meant last election. :o

In 1999.....

Over 37,000 tickets were sold
Approximately 40,000 attended
Exactly 23,685 votes were cast
Over 235 buses helped transport supporters to Ames
Six hundred journalists from more than 250 news organizationswere on hand to report from the Straw Poll

Bryan
07-16-2007, 07:59 PM
So now it's possible we may be going for the whole week and being there for the debate too... :D

No one else going or thinking of going?!?! :eek:

LRitz
07-16-2007, 09:05 PM
My family of 4 is coming from Houston! :)

Roxi
07-16-2007, 10:14 PM
jay and I are going, we are bringing 2 people from OK whoever wants to pitch in...does anyone know how far ames is from council bluffs?

Dave
07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
jay and I are going, we are bringing 2 people from OK whoever wants to pitch in...does anyone know how far ames is from council bluffs?

A strong 2.5 hours. All interstate. Can't wait to see you all in Iowa!

Bryan
07-17-2007, 09:21 PM
That's great.

Look like Sematary wants to go-- coming from the NE:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7644

Bump :)

tiznow
07-18-2007, 01:08 PM
I think turnout will be extremely low this year. I've been to some local GOP meetings in iowa and the sense I get is their party has really taken a big hit as far as numbers go with all the harm bush has done to the party, they are desperate for us to help out in Linn county to man the caucuses as they don't have enough people to cover all the districts and have welcomed us with open arms. In addition no McCain or Rudy busing and buying tickets for people will help.

The reality as i see it is tancredo, brownback, and paul will fight for the 2,3,4 spots

Brownback and tancredo will be using buses, free tickets and entertainment to lure people. I think tancredo could make some big noise. From my activities in eastern iowa surrounding the Iowa GOP he has been the most dominant force of the other candidates in my eyes and i think his hard stance and no amnesty message is really working well in iowa.

We start door to door campaigning later today in the cedar rapids/iowa city area.

Lord Xar
07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I think turnout will be extremely low this year. I've been to some local GOP meetings in iowa and the sense I get is their party has really taken a big hit as far as numbers go with all the harm bush has done to the party, they are desperate for us to help out in Linn county to man the caucuses as they don't have enough people to cover all the districts and have welcomed us with open arms. In addition no McCain or Rudy busing and buying tickets for people will help.

The reality as i see it is tancredo, brownback, and paul will fight for the 2,3,4 spots

Brownback and tancredo will be using buses, free tickets and entertainment to lure people. I think tancredo could make some big noise. From my activities in eastern iowa surrounding the Iowa GOP he has been the most dominant force of the other candidates in my eyes and i think his hard stance and no amnesty message is really working well in iowa.

We start door to door campaigning later today in the cedar rapids/iowa city area.

:) I know I sound like a broken record.. BUT, Tancredo is stealing alot of thunder becasue his position is KNOWN regarding illegal immigration.... whereas Paul has a strong stance, you'd just never know..... HQ needs to really take a look at things...

tiznow
07-18-2007, 01:15 PM
:) I know I sound like a broken record.. BUT, Tancredo is stealing alot of thunder becasue his position is KNOWN regarding illegal immigration.... whereas Paul has a strong stance, you'd just never know..... HQ needs to really take a look at things...

More importantly they need to get Ron Paul hitting the ground in iowa he supposedly will be doing this between the Aug 5th debates and the straw poll August 11th. I will make my feelings about this clear when we meet with the iowa campaign people on thursday. I get alot of so when he is gonna be in my area from iowans I talk to. Iowans are spoiled and want to see the candidates face to face Ron Paul is not doing enough of this and has to do more of this if he wants to win iowa.

tiznow
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Also just as a note I urge all iowans to contact their local gop and go to GOP meetings to drop off literature not only to them but for any activities they have planned in the future and see if they need any help with the caucuses. The iowa people from the campaign itself as I understand is doing none of this. As much as we despise what the republicans currently stand for I have found that on the local level that aren't so bad. We must get involved with these people and show we are willing to help them in the caucuses to win this thing. Plus i think the once they see the youth and enthusiasm behind ron paul these people will come to the realization that Ron Paul is the dark horse candidate their party desparetely need. On the national level this obviously won't be the case but on a local level I believe this is a good possibility. As a recent poll for republicans showed that the top candidate right now is none of the above.

Activities and contact information can be found at

http://www.iowagop.org/

So far we have been in contact with linn, johnson, muscatine, and iowa county

Dave
07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
So far we have been in contact with linn, johnson, muscatine, and iowa county

Great work, tiz! I've been holding off on post-Ames discussion but you are right on - get RP supporters to contact their county GOP organizations and volunteer to help with the caucuses. I'll discuss this further after Ames.

tiznow
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
found this article from may 3rd about boone county which is near ames sounds like you could make great strides with this group.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6621483.stm

Grassroots activists

In some ways, keeping up the interest level may be easier for the Republicans, because they have more to prove to their grassroots.

At least, that is true of those in Boone County, north of Des Moines, who I met at their monthly meeting in a room above the local public library.

These committed grassroots activists, who will vote in the caucuses and set the tone for the presidential race are - in general - from the socially conservative wing of the party.

For them, all three frontrunners - Arizona Senator John McCain, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney - are problematic, whether it's because they have been married more than once or, in the case of Romney, because they are of a different, Mormon faith.

Marti Streeter, the co-chair of the Boone County Republicans, said she could not vote for any of the three leading candidates - and if Mr Giuliani were the nominee, she would resign from the party.

Great comment if Giuliani were the nominee should would RESIGN from the party. Our arch nemesis #1!!

Here is their calendar

http://www.boonecountygop.org/calendar.htm

Thursday, July 19-22
Boone County Fair

Monday, June 25, 6:30pm
Meeting of Central Committee
Boone County Republicans
Ericksen Public Library, 2nd Floor

they will be at boone county fair july 19th-22nd I'd be sure to stop by and hand them some literature and signs for their booth.

Plus i'm sure a majority of them will be attending the straw poll as well so might be easy way to pick up a few votes.

Lord Xar
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
More importantly they need to get Ron Paul hitting the ground in iowa he supposedly will be doing this between the Aug 5th debates and the straw poll August 11th. I will make my feelings about this clear when we meet with the iowa campaign people on thursday. I get alot of so when he is gonna be in my area from iowans I talk to. Iowans are spoiled and want to see the candidates face to face Ron Paul is not doing enough of this and has to do more of this if he wants to win iowa.

Can you also ask them why he isn't promoting is feelings about borders and illegal immigration? I know that is not his ULTIMATE platform, its EXCEEDINGLY important nonetheless for a MAJORITY of americans.. 80%!

ghemminger
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Yup...I attempting to putgether a crazy group from SoCal...got 5 so far...jus sick...lol

tiznow
07-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Yup...I attempting to putgether a crazy group from SoCal...got 5 so far...jus sick...lol

what dates you looking at meaning leaving and getting back, i know some people out that way including one that has an iowa driver's license so can vote. :)

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm with you, LX. There are a lot of things we can do in this campaign, but we cannot steer Ron Paul. We CAN however, talk up his position against amnesty and for secure borders when we're calling Iowans. How he wants to bring our border guards back to our borders instead of Iraq's borders.

Lord Xar
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM

REALLY??? hahahha.. you got people from california going.. dude, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in los angeles. I am not keen on riverside!

ghemminger
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
REALLY??? hahahha.. you got people from california going.. dude, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in los angeles. I am not keen on riverside!

Thanks....originally It was my idea.....drive there with 3 people, cut costs, now like 6-7 people interested....picking up one guy possb. in Vegas......One of our memebers here owns a Limo company...trying to get him involved....how cool would that be.....carzy...but cool

Leaving Weekend of the Debates TBD

JosephTheLibertarian
07-19-2007, 03:00 AM
I really have nothing to do, so if anyone is going out from over here in NJ, let me know :) I don't mind helping out!

james1844
07-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi All,

I'm in DC would be interested in going to Iowa as well...

Dave
07-19-2007, 08:53 AM
This was originally posted by Gigaplex in another thread and I thought it should be in here as well. This guy is amazing - he gets and idea and he just DOES IT.

Much has happened in Iowa lately. The campaign hired on two more people so that we have three people from the campaign working here full time. We are planning for the most influential debate so far. We are planning for the straw poll, which will bring in 50,000 people and determine the fate of Ron Paul's candidacy. We are also planning for the fair which will bring in around a million people. There are also many smaller events being planned. 13,500 DVDs are set to arrive on Friday. Door to door campaigning is now set to go.

On top of that, Jen Solt has joined our team and will be working full time as the Iowa coordinator for out of staters. She arrives in Des Moines today.

I have very quickly thrown together an Iowa Headquarters website a few minutes ago so you can see what is going on here, get in contact with who you need to talk to, and figure out when you can come into Iowa to help.

Now is the moment of truth. Now is when we see how dedicated Ron Paul supporters are and what we are capable of. If you do nothing else for this campaign, come to Iowa and help get votes for the straw poll. Here is the website:

www.paulforall.com (http://www.paulforall.com/)

Thank you for your support,
Jeff

freelance
07-20-2007, 05:43 AM
I just had an idea. Students4paul.com raises money for the campaign. Why not coordinate the adopt-an-Iowan campaign with studentsforpaul.com (the other student organization) to raise money exclusively for students in Iowa to attend the straw poll?

Would something like that work?

Bryan
07-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Adding link for Ronstock:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7857:

Ronstock will be a part of the celebration of Congressman Ron Paul's message of freedom before the Iowa Straw Poll. Ronstock will be held at the Bali Satay House on August 10th, 2007 (the day before the big day) from 2:00-10:00PM! The Bali Satay House is the largest live music club in the college town. It is located in the campustown area of Ames, Iowa. The national campaign is excited about this event. Everyone is welcome (all ages). No cover. More details to be released soon!

Keep up to date and befriend Ronstock at MySpace.
http://www.myspace.com/ronstockiowa

I just had an idea. Students4paul.com raises money for the campaign. Why not coordinate the adopt-an-Iowan campaign with studentsforpaul.com (the other student organization) to raise money exclusively for students in Iowa to attend the straw poll?

Would something like that work?
See if these help out:

Poll: Let's see how many tickets can we buy for Iowans
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6665

"Operation Adopt-a-Iowan":
http://ronpaulstrawpoll.blogspot.com
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6954
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6906

I'm figuring to trying to do some face-to-face "Adopt-a-Iowan" work while there.

Ian_Perry
07-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I am told there are about 531 meetup group members in the state of Iowa.

I would suggest that in order to ensure victory, the meet up groups (and other Ron Paul supporters) in Iowa need to spread the word for each member to use their own social network to get 19 pledges to go the straw poll (this in addition to any group efforts).

If each meetup member brought this many people they know, this effort alone could meet the reported goal of 10,000 (19x531 = 10089) votes for Ron Paul at the straw poll.

I think if the Iowa meetup groups started asking all their members to talk to parents, cousins, neighbors, close friends, less close friends, with this goal in mind it could be very effective-- and it is probably best to get the word out about the number of people each needs to bring in order to win without having to rely on the calling campaign and other efforts (not that these should be downplayed, but given what we are up against I think we should have as much redundancy as possible). The calling campaign should strive to reach enough people that it could win the poll on its own, the door to door efforts likewise--- but I believe Iowan Ron Paul supporters can be more effective than anyone by simply bringing lots of people they know.

MozoVote
07-23-2007, 06:49 PM
This is a good idea. Leverage the contacts you have.

Heck pay the gas and offer the "lumpers" a free lunch too. They don't have to be dedicated Ron Paul people... just folks willing to take a ride with a friend/relative, visit the fair with them and vote.

19 contacts is probably a lot to ask for. But I'm sure the average person could at least rustle up a few hangers-on that would go.

beermotor
07-24-2007, 04:46 AM
Even 5k votes is going to be huge ... if they can just bring family members, etc. That will be perfect.

I know this thing is really hokey and all but we have to do well, this is the critical phase of the campaign.

Ian_Perry
07-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I know I'm just a Texan who hasn't made his calls yet and is on Ron Paul related forums when not working or doing my summer school work, but I think the Iowa straw poll is really important, and I think every Ron Paul related organization in Iowa needs to get the word out to their members to try and shoot for this goal:

Call your cousins. Call your friends. Talk to your neighbors. And DO NOT stop until you have at least 19 pledging to go over with you to the straw poll. It may be hard but it needs to be tried. The highest conversion rate you are going to get is out of people you already know, so Ron Paul's Iowa meetup and other Iowa support groups and websites need to get the word out that this is the number of people that need to be brought along in order for Dr. Paul to get 10,000 people there and have a shot at winning.

This "Ron Paul's ideas are so great everyone is certain to vote for him" thought needs to be abandoned.

A lot of good can be done if Ron Paul's Iowa support base realizes exactly the number of people they need to win over.

rain4venus
07-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Sadly 15 hours is kind far for me since I can't even vote, but I'm gonna buy some tickets for the adopt-an-iowan program: http://ronpaulstrawpoll.blogspot.com

If a couple other people can join me, I'm willing to buy 5 tickets ($275) I just want to get some other people committed at the same time!

edit: since wow I can't do math, I'm going to be willing to buy 8 tickets instead of 5. I said I can put in $275 and I will if some others can join me in buying 5 as originally stated.

Man from La Mancha
07-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Wish all the luck for this project

aknappjr
07-26-2007, 04:43 PM
If I get a caller who is really truly interested in going to vote for Paul but doesn't want to pay the $35, what should I do? How can I get some tickets or where should I refer the caller to go?

Lord Xar
07-26-2007, 06:51 PM
If I get a caller who is really truly interested in going to vote for Paul but doesn't want to pay the $35, what should I do? How can I get some tickets or where should I refer the caller to go?

adopt-an-iowan

SEE THE STICKY HERE

Dave
07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
I encourage every Ron Paul supporter to do everything within their power to make it to Iowa from August 4th through the 12th. If you can’t make it for the whole week then come for as long as you can! The ABC debate in Des Moines is on the morning of August 5 and the Ames Straw Poll is all day on August 11. I’m so excited about the Ron Paul nation making an impression at these events that I can hardly sleep. Need a reason to come? Here’s 16 of them:

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to gather with a massive group of like-minded Americans and show your support for Ron Paul’s message of limited government and maximum individual freedom.
At no other time on the political calendar will there be a big national party featuring all the GOP candidates together in one place. Every candidate wants a show of force in Ames to impress Iowans and the media and you can be part of it. You will remember the people you met, the things you saw, and the things you did in Iowa to help Ron Paul for the rest of your life. We’ll all meet people from all over the country and share the pride in working together to support a common goal. If we’re successful we will literally be making history.
The Des Moines Rally for Ron Paul when he was excluded from the ITR/ICA forum was a blast – ask anyone who was there. We had 1,000 supporters in one place for Ron Paul, many of whom were from outside Iowa. The forum next door had far fewer people so the entire day included maybe 1,600 people. The Ames Straw Poll will make that look like a picnic. The Iowa GOP is shooting for 40,000 guests in Ames – we need to shoot for 10,000 of those to be supporters of Ron Paul. Can you imagine the party atmosphere? And with the national media watching! This will quite simply be the largest Ron Paul party ever and there won’t be another opportunity like this any time or anywhere else in the country.
The Iowa Straw Poll in Ames is even a physically larger event than the national conventions.
All the other candidates will be trying to turn out their supporters – this is a competition! Come and help Ron Paul make the biggest splash. A good finish for Dr. Paul and thousands of supporters on hand will make a huge impression on American and on Iowans as they contemplate who to support in the Iowa Caucuses in January.
If you’re from outside Iowa you can’t vote but at least you don’t have to pay to come and be part of the festivities in and around the big tents.
There were over 600 members of the media at the last Straw Poll. This is our target audience! Let’s show the world the depth and breadth of support for Ron Paul and launch his candidacy into the limelight!
There’s a nationally-broadcast live debate in Des Moines on August 5 at 8 a.m. CDT on ABC’s This Week with George Stephanopoulos. David Yepsen (Mr. Iowa Caucuses) from the Des Moines Register will also be asking some questions. The debate hall at Drake University barely holds 700 people so it will be nearly impossible to get a ticket for inside but we are planning to have a big presence outside. We need a big (early) turnout to get some more media attention for Ron Paul.
The Iowa State Fair Parade is on the evening of August 8 in Des Moines. A Ron Paul delegation has paid to enter this parade and told the organizers we might have 500 people marching in support of Dr. Paul. This is great chance to impress the masses with our numbers and enthusiasm.
The Iowa State Fair in Des Moines runs from Aug. 9-19. This is a very popular place for presidential candidates to visit and make impromptu stump speeches to Iowans on the grand concourse. The fair is also a ton of fun all by itself. I understand that Ron Paul is tentatively scheduled to visit the fair. There are 75 to 125 thousand people at the fair on any given day. This is great place to wear your RP gear and be seen having fun.
Ron Paul will be spending a great deal of time in Iowa between his arrival on Aug. 4 for the debate and the Ames Straw Poll on Aug. 11. I’m sure his schedule will be coming out as we get closer to the events.
There is a “Ronstock” party being planned at a big club in Ames on the night of August 10, Straw Poll Eve.
Volunteers are needed in Ames Friday Aug. 10 at 8 AM to help hang signs inside Hilton Coliseum. Help will also be needed getting the RP tent ready for the big day.
The whole time you’re here is an opportunity to work Des Moines, Ames, and everywhere else waving signs, passing out literature, and spreading the word about Ron Paul. The goal is to get Iowans to Ames to pay their $35 and vote for Ron Paul.
A gang of the Ron Paul Revolution folks from AZ is coming to Iowa and working to plaster signs all over Ames and Des Moines and in between (about 40 miles) during this time period. They will be looking for help, too.
The Sunday after the Straw Poll will be a great day to help us tear down in Ames and/or get to the Iowa State fair to keep spreading the word. This is usually one of the most crowded days at the fair.You can keep track of Ron Paul events in Iowa at www.paulforall.com (http://www.paulforall.com/), a site dedicated to coordinating volunteers coming from out of state. It would also be very helpful to the campaign if you would RSVP your intentions to attend the Iowa Straw Poll here:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/events/iowa-straw-poll/

Roxi
07-28-2007, 09:44 AM
well, theres no hotel availability, which is GOOD every hotel in this area is sold out, even as far as nevada which is about 10 miles from there most of them are booked.... i guess we will have to tent it does anyone know where we can set up a tent around here?

ghemminger
07-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm from Cali and really want to go to IOWA....What do you guys reccomend.....I have 3 other people semi interested...I wonder how much it will cost me??? for 5-6 days

Psyclone
07-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Participated in the DVD drop today in Ames and things went great!! We had a bunch of out of state people (those I met came from South Dakota, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee and North Carolina) and we blanketed every precinct in Story County (where Ames is) that has more than a smattering of Republicans. We're going to hit Polk County (just below Story county, where Des Moines is located) with the rest of the DVDs on Sunday. We had more than 40 people for the DVD drop and managed to do the whole thing in one weekend (13,500 DVDs!). I'm hoping we generate some major word of mouth buzz with the DVDs over the next 2 weeks. Thanks to everyone who helped out!!

guerillaeffect
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Anyone leaving from the houston area?

JoshLowry
07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Yes, we have six people leaving in an RV on the 3rd and will return the 12th.

It might be good to get a second car going?

Badger Paul
07-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Congrats on making the Ames-Des MOines DVD drop a success! Never have so few done so much!

lillyx
07-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey dave, i just emailed the iowa meetup groups-they or you really need to post the happenings on the worldwide Ron Paul meetup board. This way people from all the meetups can know what is really going on and how we can help.-Read this- I am from the las Vegas meetup group. Lots of us are doing everything we can. We also are going to the worldwide meetup forum to check on the important happenings. I went to the iowa message boards to see about how it is going before the straw poll. I almost fell over when i read you only had 2 people trying to give out 13.000 dvd. Please have someone post feedback on the worldwide board. Titled from Iowa or whatever. We all need to know what is going on, we are trying to help by doing calling, etc but you guys are really there. we need to know . How did the Dvd pass out do? How are the people responding?

tiznow
07-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Hey dave, i just emailed the iowa meetup groups-they or you really need to post the happenings on the worldwide Ron Paul meetup board. This way people from all the meetups can know what is really going on and how we can help.-Read this- I am from the las Vegas meetup group. Lots of us are doing everything we can. We also are going to the worldwide meetup forum to check on the important happenings. I went to the iowa message boards to see about how it is going before the straw poll. I almost fell over when i read you only had 2 people trying to give out 13.000 dvd. Please have someone post feedback on the worldwide board. Titled from Iowa or whatever. We all need to know what is going on, we are trying to help by doing calling, etc but you guys are really there. we need to know . How did the Dvd pass out do? How are the people responding?

I helped distribute them on saturday. 43 people showed up, over 7000 were distributed that day. on sunday they said they had a smaller gathering not sure the number and got all but 2000 out there of the total of 13000+ they started with. They will get rid of the remaining 2000 in the coming days. Reason you aren't hearing much is most are extremely busy and don't have alot of time to spend online.

guerillaeffect
07-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Wow, thats a nice sized group of people Josh. I'm looking into trying to get a group of people from my business. We'll see. If you hear of anyone else going or wanting to go, send me a line on this forum and I can possible get together with them and figure it out.

Psyclone
07-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes, the DVD drop went extremely well. The number of RSVPs at meetup.com is not an accurate reflection of how many people show up for things.

aknappjr
07-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Does anyone want to go out in Des Moines Friday night the 10th? Are there any parties happening? Its just me and my girlfriend, and we'd like something social to do with fellow RP supporters. Call me or PM me (six four six) 623-1020. Coming in from Chicago.

Bryan
07-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Does anyone want to go out in Des Moines Friday night the 10th? Are there any parties happening? Its just me and my girlfriend, and we'd like something social to do with fellow RP supporters. Call me or PM me (six four six) 623-1020. Coming in from Chicago.
Our group from Houston should be good for this- the more the merrier.

Dave
08-01-2007, 07:48 AM

I think you'll want to be in Ames on Friday night. The "Ronstock" event will take place at the Bali Satay in Campustown from 6-10 PM.

LRitz
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
There's another guy from the Spring group that wants to follow us there. As far as I know, its just him in his car...I think he might like to find someone to share gas costs with.

LRitz
08-01-2007, 08:08 PM
We have a Houston member really wanting to come but has to be at an event in Dallas Saturday night. Just thought I'd ask around

Ronstock
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
There is plenty of great news coming from the Ronstock camp.

1. Dr. Paul is expected to drop by!

2. Ronstock has been shortened a little bit due to Dr. Paul's schedule. The event will now take place from 6-10PM.

3. If you are interested in flyering for the event in the days/hours leading up to it, we will have some flyers available.

4. The bands that are in the works are very exciting.

Please stop by the website for much more information and to befriend Ronstock!

www.myspace.com/ronstockiowa (http://www.myspace.com/ronstockiowa)

Thanks!

Tim Olson

PaleoConservative
08-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Anyone have any old mailing lists from Buchanan's campaign in 96 and 2000? I was very active with Pat when he ran and his supporters, like I am, are huge fans of Ron Paul. These lists would be a goldmine for Ron Paul.

Shink
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
What are my options for voting in the straw poll? Scenario: I have no driver's license, I have NORTH CAROLINA permit (got it while in the Armoire) and I have my military ID, both of which don't show that I'm an Iowan. What can I do to fix this by Friday? (Not to mention the problem of getting there and having the kids watched while my wife is busy in the National Guard in Des Moines) I hope someone sees this here.

ChicagoLawyer
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
You can also just get a state ID card. I would think that you could go to a DMV this week with proof of residence (lease, bill, etc.) and get an official State of Iowa ID (not drivers license). Some states give it to you on the spot, and some mail it to you. I think most these days, however, take your digital photo and give it to you right there.

Shink
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
You can also just get a state ID card. I would think that you could go to a DMV this week with proof of residence (lease, bill, etc.) and get an official State of Iowa ID (not drivers license). Some states give it to you on the spot, and some mail it to you. I think most these days, however, take your digital photo and give it to you right there.

Thank you! Now I have to work on setting everything up and getting free tickets.

EastWindRain
08-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Is anyone else concerned about this forecast?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/08/iowa_republicans_see_romney_as_1.html

August 06, 2007
Iowa Republicans See Romney As Straw Poll Winner
By Reid Wilson

With a week to go before the Iowa Republican Party's critical straw poll, an informal survey of Iowa Republican Party leaders, conducted by Real Clear Politics, shows high expectations for former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/Predicted%20finish.bmp

LibertyEagle
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Anyone have any old mailing lists from Buchanan's campaign in 96 and 2000? I was very active with Pat when he ran and his supporters, like I am, are huge fans of Ron Paul. These lists would be a goldmine for Ron Paul.

If you were active, why don't you take the lead and contact Pat's organization, or Linda, who works for him.

belian78
08-07-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm heading up from Central IL on Friday night. Anyone on my way wanting to go, PM me. As of right now, myself and possibly one other are the only ones confirmed in my car. that would leave 3-4 spots open. :D

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-07-2007, 10:06 AM

If you were active, why don't you take the lead and contact Pat's organization, or Linda, who works for him.

Pat himself won't get involved. I already asked him. Best bet is to find someone who was heavily involved in the campaign and supports Ron Paul. If they don't have the data, they have a better shot at getting it than an outsider. I know the MN chair of Pat's campaign, but rarely see her. I'll look her up, but she hasn't been very politically active lately, so you may want to pursue other avenues.

Akus
08-07-2007, 10:44 AM

Wait, ChicagoLawyer, I thought you have to be an Iowan resident to vote there. So you can drive in and become a resident by filing out some paper work?:eek:

maiki
08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Wait, ChicagoLawyer, I thought you have to be an Iowan resident to vote there. So you can drive in and become a resident by filing out some paper work?:eek:

You have to have a proof of residence in iowa: a lease, a bill, etc. mailed to an iowa address (not PO Box). So no, not anyone can drive up there.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Anyone know if there are decent hotel rooms left anywhere? I'm pretty squeamish about beds, so I don't mind paying more for someplace with a good reputation. Still can't decide if I'm coming down Friday and that would make a difference.

Lord Xar
08-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Anyone know if there are decent hotel rooms left anywhere? I'm pretty squeamish about beds, so I don't mind paying more for someplace with a good reputation. Still can't decide if I'm coming down Friday and that would make a difference.

hey, you said you contacted pat and he won't get involved -- how come? Did he say?

aknappjr
08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm staying at the Marriott Renaissance Downtown Des Moines Friday and Saturday. It looks nice and isn't much more than the hotels in the small towns around Ames.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-07-2007, 04:20 PM
hey, you said you contacted pat and he won't get involved -- how come? Did he say?

He just said because he was back into journalism. So we'll have to live with him throwing out an occasional compliment. But, like I said, if you can get to someone from the campaign, you might have some luck.

Jake!
08-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I'll be there, and I have the privilege of casting my vote for Dr. Paul.

FreedomLover
08-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I'll be there, and I have the privilege of casting my vote for Dr. Paul.

Bringing some friends with you to vote for Ron Paul? Because that would be an awesome idea, ff they have 35 $ that is.

But, there is a program that will pay for the ticket of anyone you bring who can't afford it. You should check into it. Its the adopt an iowan program, its one of the stickies at the top of the page.

Santana28
08-08-2007, 12:53 AM
i want to go - but i can't afford the trip unless i get a couple of people to ride with me. I live in northern IL along the IL/WI border.... if anyone is interested - PM me ASAP!! I can fit 3 people easily and get there on one $30 tank of gas.

Lets do this thing!

gocubsgo
08-08-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm coming in from Northern Cook County on Friday....I could drop three people off in Ames or Des Monies on my way to Council Bluffs....you'd have to have your own place to stay.... I plan on hitting up the Straw Poll early Saturday Morning.... driving back from Council Bluffs that night....if you need a lift back to Northern Cook County after the straw poll, i can do that, around 10pm or 11pm, maybe sooner, since i'll be leaving the straw poll at about 3 to head down to des moines, but I'm willing to come back to pick up some people if they need a lift back to Chicago. PM if your interested.

radiofriendly
08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
This is Aaron of Radio Friendly: Songs by American Pirates
sorry if this is duplicate message---myspace isn't working for me...so 3 of us
need a place to sleep after Ronstock. Sorry, i can't remember if i was already in contact w/ you? Any ideas - can you spread the word?
Aaron
812-679-7279
earlymusicaj@hotmail.com

aknappjr
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I recommend all out of staters (and in-staters) go to Church on Sunday in whatever town you're staying in and talk to parishoners/churchgoers about RP's respect for religious freedom and his vehement pro-life stance (he witnessed the horrors of abortion as an OB/GYN.) and his Statement of Faith as a Christian.

Its especially important to talk to the ministers/priests/pastors.

Statemtment of Faith: http://www.covenantnews.com/ronpaul070721.htm

Shink
08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if nobody reads this...but I'm living in Fort Madison, Iowa, and I thought I had a ride arranged for the straw poll, that fell through, and so did the backup plan (great, huh?). FM is in southeast Iowa. Is there anyone out there that could help get this Iowan to Ames for the strawpoll?

torchbearer
08-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Catch a ride on Mitt's bus.

thomj76
08-09-2007, 03:07 PM
With the newspaper ad being completed for the Ames Tribune, I wanted to pass out a message to those in Iowa. We really need to get handouts for people there in Ames (I'm sure you have this well in mind), however once the ad is finalized and sent in, I believe this would be another fantastic piece of information to hand out.

What are your thoughts?

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if nobody reads this...but I'm living in Fort Madison, Iowa, and I thought I had a ride arranged for the straw poll, that fell through, and so did the backup plan (great, huh?). FM is in southeast Iowa. Is there anyone out there that could help get this Iowan to Ames for the strawpoll?

Bump :: Shink needs a ride

Shink
08-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Shink needs babysitters...:( I won't be able to go. Sigh...

Oh well, I look forward to bigger events...I'm wanting to wear my Army uniforms to make a big impact on the public.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Shink needs babysitters...:( I won't be able to go. Sigh...

Oh well, I look forward to bigger events...I'm wanting to wear my Army uniforms to make a big impact on the public.

You have to go. You can vote, right? Take the kids with you.

thomj76
08-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Keep trying to get that ride, Shink. If your children are old enough, it could be a day trip to the Ron Paul Volunteers, area.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
My wife just drove 8 hours by herself with a 2 year old girl and twin boys that are 16months old just to go visit friends. Forget babysitters. Take the kids.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-09-2007, 06:34 PM
two twin boys? hmmm I must have drunk the koolaid. lol

Roxi
08-09-2007, 06:38 PM
how strong would it be to have a military presence obviously voting for RP!!

FluffyUnbound
08-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Can the campaign help out Shrink?

Can the ROMNEY campaign help out Shrink?

thomj76
08-09-2007, 07:37 PM
WE got a person that needs help with phone calls!!!

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3379591

aknappjr
08-10-2007, 08:25 AM

Shrink can you meet us in Iowa City or Des Moines? We can drive you from there. Give me a call; we're leaving now six four six-623-1020 (we have room for 2 but it'd be tight). Good luck finding baby sitters.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-10-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm off! Heading to Ames and the good Doctor! Talk to y'all Sunday if I don't see you there . . .

RockEnds
08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Shink, there's a Sieda bus leaving from Fairfield if you can get that far. We used to haul to Ft Madison everyday, but we go through Lockridge now. If you're still out there, post back. You're 50 miles from me, but maybe.... Tomorrow's not here yet. I'm still waiting on a couple people here to make up their mind. I'm taking my daughter. How many kids do you have? Can we all fit in my truck? Let me know if you're still there.

tiznow
08-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I'll be at coralridge mall outside the theaters (from 7:30 am till about 10:15 am) in coralville, ia (west of iowa city) the mall can been seen from I-80 (it's the coralville/north liberty exit forget the exit number) so if you are passing by or can get that far stop by or if you want to see if anybody needs a ride. There will be a good amount of cars leaving at 8am from this location. I'll be leaving for ames around 10:15 am and can take 4 others with me.

Badger4Paul
08-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I couldn't go, so the least I could do was donate another $35 which is what I would have paid. I encourage others to do the same.