View Full Version : I'll prove pundits wrong, Paul says: Des Moines Register

bobbyw24
01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I'll prove pundits wrong, Paul says

January 3, 2008

I'll prove pundits wrong, Paul says

By JASON PULLIAM
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

Ron Paul on Wednesday night predicted that he'll defy the odds, confound his naysayers and register a strong showing in today's GOP Iowa caucuses.

The libertarian-leaning Texas congressman said he's adopted a stock response for when reporters and pundits ask him how he'll fare in the leadoff to the presidential nominating process: "I don't know exactly, but I know we're going do a lot better than they claim we're going to do.' "

Paul offered his political forecast before a loud and energetic crowd of about 500 at the Hotel Fort Des Moines.

The most recent Des Moines Register Iowa Poll showed Paul locked with former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson for fourth place, with support from 9 percent of likely GOP caucusgoers.

Paul renewed his attacks against a U.S. foreign policy that he says has run amok and put the nation at greater risk of peril.

"Something has happened along the way that we interpret our strength as that of being a military powerhouse that bullies ourselves around the world," he said.

"That is not strength. Strength is the belief in freedom and liberty and setting a good example to the world."

As president, Paul said, he would bolster America's position at home and abroad through the withdrawal of troops stationed across the globe in places like Iraq, Korea, Japan and Europe.

He rejected the argument from some of his Republican opponents that withdrawal from Iraq would lead to further chaos in the country.

Paul said those who hold that view are the same lot who said the war would be a cakewalk financed by oil revenues.

"What we're doing today is not viable," he said. "We cannot remain strong as a vibrant nation if we continue to spend beyond our means and continue to think we can police the world. We cannot do it.

"It's time we brought our troops home from around the world."

Reporter Jason Pulliam can be reached at (515) 284-8214 or jpulliam@dmreg.com

Micahyah
01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
C'mon Iowans, come through for Paul!!

newmedia4ron
01-03-2008, 01:46 PM
EVERYONE LETS NUDGE IOWA RON PAUL SUPPORTERS
REQUEST A CALL LIST FROM
Ron Paul Des Moines HQ: 1-888-828-PAUL.