PDA

View Full Version : Force Multiplying...using this military tactic to our campaigns advantage

DisabledVet
07-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Something I was taught during my time working in the special forces was the concept of force multiplying.

This concept applys almost perfectly to our current situation trying to promote Ron's message.

Not only do we need to "train" our fellow citizens on Ron's message, we also ned to train them in spreading Ron's message.

I give the following information with substitutions in parentheses so you can see how you may enact this system into your current strategies for spreading the word.

A small group of well-equipped, well-trained soldiers (RP Supporters) with the sun at their backs may be more capable of defending a fortified mountainous position than a larger group of poorly equipped, poorly-trained soldiers (IE..Giuliani supporters) with the sun in their faces is capable of assaulting the same position.

Modern NATO militaries (modern RP Supporters) are highly force-multiplied forces, in that a relatively small number of troops can successfully defeat much larger numbers of less well-trained and equipped enemies (Other candidates). For example, in the Battle of Mogadishu two Special Forces soldiers held off hundreds of militia. In the 2003 War in Iraq, a smaller force achieved a much more difficult objective than in the 1991 Gulf War, because of advances in sensors, computers, and telecommunications (IE. Internet, Meetup, Youtube etc)

However, some military analysts believe that the overwhelming combat capabilities of advanced military forces may lead to a false assumption of their capabilities in every situation. For this reason, these strategists may argue that greater emphasis needs to be placed on "boots on the ground" (Getting supporters to actually show up at the rallies is just as important)

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said: "Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier." (Keep up the good fight and always be spreading the RP word)

Another kind of force multiplier is to select a small number of highly-trained professional soldiers and smuggle them deep into enemy-held territory, where they covertly train indigenous civilians in guerilla warfare. In this scenario, an underground resistance movement disrupts enemy activities within their secured territory while regular military forces attack from outside. (This means that we can begin to infiltrate the other candidates camps and bases of support and begin to spread Ron's message from the inside...his message is so powerful and truthful that many will begin to see his truth, and there is no better converter of enemy troops to friendlies than one of their own beginning to spread the RP message)

The use of intelligence has the potential to be a force multiplier; prior knowledge of an enemy's location and strength allows one's own forces to be concentrated (or indeed weakened)at key points in advance of any action. (We need to begin attending other candidates rallies and show support for RP...if it is just standing on the entrance road with RP signs saying Google Ron Paul and you'll know he's right)

Hope this helps bring new perspective to our fight for Ron. :)

Avalon
07-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Dan Klaus
07-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Interesting thoughts...applying force multiplying to politics...this has potential to be the backbone for the homestretch strategy...

SeanEdwards
07-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Our great force multiplier is the internet. It is an essentially free organizational tool that we can use to great effect. A perfect example of this being the relatively spontaneous Ron Paul rallies springing up around the country. At the rally in Mountain View this past week, basically all the publicity came from the internet, and yet around 1000 enthusiastic people showed up. That's huge!

I think we should keep using the internet as much as possible to multiply our efforts, but we need to use the internet and communications technology to enable real-world activities. I know I myself spend far too much time blabbing on this forum. To really help Ron Paul get elected I should be out talking to people who don't even use the internet at all.

So, I think we should all as individual supporters should try to think of ways to organize real-world campaign activities. The meetup groups are a natural venue for this. In organizing events, people should try to think of ways to attract local media coverage of their activities. Like, one meetup group took it upon themselves to plaster handmade Ron Paul signs over an area in so many numbers that the quantity of signs itself became a story on the local news. That's force multiplication.

Original_Intent
07-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree. We essentially need to use the Multi-Level Marketting techniques, but instead of playing on people's greed for the financial gain of the few, we appeal to people's desire for FREEDOM for the benefit of ALL - including the opposition.

Ways to do this: (please add your own)

1. When we spread literature, we need to follow up with people, where possible, and get them involved in spreading the word.

2. Hold "freedom seminars" in our homes and discuss liberty and why RP is the freedom candidate and then recruit people to do the same.

3. Tomorrow, when the lists of contributors come out, we can visit those who have already contributed to the RP campaign and see if they want to become involved in other ways. I suggest just go to their house with a push card and then when you "find out" that they already support RP, invite them to your meetup or whatever to discuss strategies, etc. Try to get them to join the meetup.

4. I am also working on a similar idea to #3, but for people who have given to another campaign. i.e. I live in Utah, "Romney country", and I am trying to work out a way to target these "miguided Mormon's" :D and try to get some positive discussions going that can guide them to Paul (who actually represents LDS values better than Romney).

5. Other ideas to turn supporters into activists?

jjschless
07-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Good post disabledvet.

Using the analogy of a military action you can further express the strength of focus and flexibility.

Having a solid goal defined before you begin you project will help guide it and keep it on track. Couple that with flexibility and the forethought that you may have to adapt to the circumstances as they present themselves.

Chester Copperpot
07-15-2007, 02:57 PM
This is a natural for us.. Our intense love and devotion to Paul and his love for the Constitution shows right through everything.. I mean I can be up till 3am reading about Ron Paul yet when I wake up the first thing I do is go to the net and see if theres any news.
Other people want to know why people like us are so excited.

It follows this other business maxim Ive learned over the years:

"If you set yourself on fire, people will come around to watch you burn."

Its true and it works

orenbus
07-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Any chance someone can create a youtube video covering the ops original post? The whole idea of having people at other candidates events holding Ron Paul signs is awesome! And the story about the two special forces guys holding off the militia in Mogadishu, very inspiring.

I think if someone made a youtube video (not just putting text messages in the video) but actually saying the words, would be an excellent effective tool to rally the supporters.

If it comes from a Vet in the video that would ROCK!

jonahtrainer
07-15-2007, 04:22 PM
I agree. We essentially need to use the Multi-Level Marketting techniques, but instead of playing on people's greed for the financial gain of the few, we appeal to people's desire for FREEDOM for the benefit of ALL - including the opposition.

Ways to do this: (please add your own)

1. When we spread literature, we need to follow up with people, where possible, and get them involved in spreading the word.

2. Hold "freedom seminars" in our homes and discuss liberty and why RP is the freedom candidate and then recruit people to do the same.

3. Tomorrow, when the lists of contributors come out, we can visit those who have already contributed to the RP campaign and see if they want to become involved in other ways. I suggest just go to their house with a push card and then when you "find out" that they already support RP, invite them to your meetup or whatever to discuss strategies, etc. Try to get them to join the meetup.

4. I am also working on a similar idea to #3, but for people who have given to another campaign. i.e. I live in Utah, "Romney country", and I am trying to work out a way to target these "miguided Mormon's" :D and try to get some positive discussions going that can guide them to Paul (who actually represents LDS values better than Romney).

5. Other ideas to turn supporters into activists?

I can tell by the campaign donation charts for Q1 & Q2 that the Ron Paul campaign is about to go into what MLMers call the "Momentum Phase" where growth goes exponential at a rate of 30-150% growth per month. Most people, especially the mainstream media and businesses, do not understand the nature of 'networking' and the 'momentum phase.' Boy are they going to be surprised!

I have already converted a few Romney supporters and Democrats to Ron Paul. I focus on the 'Doubling Gitmo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=I0U9k7Jj_40)' statement (denial of counsel, due process of law and torture), increased spending during time in MA (socialized health care) and support for the war (getting away from the Christian doctrine of self-defense and not even taking the option of a preemptive nuclear attack off the table ... We have got to COME TO OUR SENSES quote (this is a great introductory YouTube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8))

Hope that strategy works. In addition, walking around (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGfXIKHowoU) with Ron Paul signs on the weekend with business cards is a lot of fun!

jonahtrainer
07-15-2007, 04:35 PM
And the story about the two special forces guys holding off the militia in Mogadishu, very inspiring.

Until the Ron Paul supporters are the militia! Our country is in crises and the few threads holding up the Constitution are being cut and held inviolate.

Habeas Corpus (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_pAr5ngPc), the Great Writ (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Ao0RrXHZEk), has been abolished (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YIFqYVAOosM).

We are in truly perilous times. The last time this happened Lincoln tried to arrest Chief Justice Taney for upholding Habeas Corpus in Ex Parte Milligan. If people truly understood our situation they would all take to the streets for Ron Paul to prevent Civil War.

SeanEdwards
07-15-2007, 04:40 PM
"If you set yourself on fire, people will come around to watch you burn."

Well, not always...

http://urbansemiotic.com/2006/12/03/silent-burning-malachi-ritschers-ashen-protest/