PDA

View Full Version : Need some help or suggestions, please.

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Here in Indy I became politically involved for the first time last year, at 38 years of age. Our property taxes were 20 to 300% increased in a day, many of us protested, had a tea party of our own, and were able to affect change by getting our under dog candidate Greg Ballard elected, and our city county council completely changed.

Fast forward:

Today I got an email from one of the other blogs who I worked with on this, to a list of all of the people we worked with. I want to send them a message about Ron Paul, and offer them some slim jims, and other material. If I get a response, then I will consider buying all I can to send them, or a chip in if I need to.

So, my first thing is.. what would you say to these patriots about Dr. Paul? I am no word smith.. obviously.. but I have a big heart and want to help.

Thank you for listening and any feedback, suggestions.

Dan Graham

coltsinsider@yahoo.com

http://indycorrupt.blogspot.com/

317-745-5064

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Humble blimp!

:D

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Okay, so this isn't a big deal to some.. I will do my best!

maeqFREEDOMfree
01-03-2008, 08:17 AM
...I am no word smith.. obviously.. but I have a big heart and want to help.

I feel your pain!

Personally, my approach to people (no matter who) is basic and seems to work. Instead of trying to insight conversation or an information session where i preach the ron paul message, i tend to encourage people to investigate for themselves. Typically i'll start by simply asking if they've heard of RP. Since most people i talk to have by now i'll next ask what they think about him. after that i'll ask them about a certain issue (the issue may vary depending on if i know the person is keen on a particular issue or not). i generally repeat asking them questions rather than giving them answers, for instance, rather than saying "ron paul says that we should mind our own business about other countries affairs" i ask them "what makes us so arrogant to think we have the answer to other nations' problems?"

i find that by asking questions the conversation tends to stay very easy-going and doesn't seem to get heated or hostile. At the end, i leave people with something like,
"Of course, everyone is going to say that their candidate is the best, so don't just take my word for it. One thing about Ron Paul is that you can dig as deep as you want on him, look at his 20 year voting record for instance, and you'll see that this is a man of Rock Solid Principle. None of the other candidates are comparable in that regard."

I'm not trying to say that this is the perfect way to talk to people, but just an idea and an example of how i do it... it seems to work for me :-)

good luck!

walt
01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Here in Indy I became politically involved for the first time last year, at 38 years of age. Our property taxes were 20 to 300% increased in a day, many of us protested, had a tea party of our own, and were able to affect change by getting our under dog candidate Greg Ballard elected, and our city county council completely changed.

Fast forward:

Today I got an email from one of the other blogs who I worked with on this, to a list of all of the people we worked with. I want to send them a message about Ron Paul, and offer them some slim jims, and other material. If I get a response, then I will consider buying all I can to send them, or a chip in if I need to.

So, my first thing is.. what would you say to these patriots about Dr. Paul? I am no word smith.. obviously.. but I have a big heart and want to help.

Dan Graham

coltsinsider@yahoo.com

317-745-5064

Post the Youtube video "Stop Dreaming" on your blog and ask them to invest 10 minutes in a low tax society - nothing can be a better introduction to Ron Paul. :D

idrake
01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Here's something I wrote and sent (to everyone who ever emailed me) on the day of the tea party. Obviously, not completely usable for you, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Dear Friends, Family, and Colleagues,

I am writing you today, the 234th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, to introduce you to a modern-day political revolution occurring in our country. This movement is being lead by the supporters of Ron Paul, a candidate for the President of the United States, and has captured the imagination of Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Libertarians, and the apathetic.

Please take just ten minutes to watch this video about Ron Paul. If you like what you hear, I hope you’ll donate just a small amount to his campaign today as we celebrate the ideals of our founding fathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

To donate:
https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/

Thanks,
Ian Drake

PS: Today, December 16th, supporters of the Constitution have already raised more than 4 million dollars for the Ron Paul campaign. By the end of the day, history will have been made. Do you want to be a part of it?

PSS: If you have an extra 15 minutes, here’s another video worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJUXIb27AOI

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Just wanted to say thank you, I am reading the replies now!

:D

AceNZ
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Everyone has different hot buttons. If you know what your friend's are, you should play to those. If not, you could start with letting him know that Ron Paul is a 10-term congressman and former obstetrician who supports:

-- Ending the Iraq war and bringing our troops home (he voted against invading Iraq)
-- Abolishing the income tax and the IRS (he has always voted for a balanced budget)
-- Personal freedom and liberty (he voted against the Patriot Act)

And that he's a man who is committed to his principles and to the Constitution, with a 20 yr congressional voting history to prove it.

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
I feel your pain!

Personally, my approach to people (no matter who) is basic and seems to work. Instead of trying to insight conversation or an information session where i preach the ron paul message, i tend to encourage people to investigate for themselves. Typically i'll start by simply asking if they've heard of RP. Since most people i talk to have by now i'll next ask what they think about him. after that i'll ask them about a certain issue (the issue may vary depending on if i know the person is keen on a particular issue or not). i generally repeat asking them questions rather than giving them answers, for instance, rather than saying "ron paul says that we should mind our own business about other countries affairs" i ask them "what makes us so arrogant to think we have the answer to other nations' problems?"

i find that by asking questions the conversation tends to stay very easy-going and doesn't seem to get heated or hostile. At the end, i leave people with something like,
"Of course, everyone is going to say that their candidate is the best, so don't just take my word for it. One thing about Ron Paul is that you can dig as deep as you want on him, look at his 20 year voting record for instance, and you'll see that this is a man of Rock Solid Principle. None of the other candidates are comparable in that regard."

I'm not trying to say that this is the perfect way to talk to people, but just an idea and an example of how i do it... it seems to work for me :-)

good luck!

Thank you, I like that approach as I have stood shoulder to shoulder with most of these people protesting our local government.

Dan

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Here's something I wrote and sent (to everyone who ever emailed me) on the day of the tea party. Obviously, not completely usable for you, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Dear Friends, Family, and Colleagues,

I am writing you today, the 234th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, to introduce you to a modern-day political revolution occurring in our country. This movement is being lead by the supporters of Ron Paul, a candidate for the President of the United States, and has captured the imagination of Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Libertarians, and the apathetic.

Please take just ten minutes to watch this video about Ron Paul. If you like what you hear, I hope you’ll donate just a small amount to his campaign today as we celebrate the ideals of our founding fathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

To donate:
https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/

Thanks,
Ian Drake

PS: Today, December 16th, supporters of the Constitution have already raised more than 4 million dollars for the Ron Paul campaign. By the end of the day, history will have been made. Do you want to be a part of it?

PSS: If you have an extra 15 minutes, here’s another video worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJUXIb27AOI

Thank you, I have put some of the chip ins for others on my blog. the blimp, and some videos so far. When things were really hot and heavy here, I got a couple thousand people a day on there as I had internal documents from some of our local corruption.

:cool:

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 08:39 AM
The list of where I just sent the following:

The email topic was:

Unsolicited email from me;

I just wanted to ask if any of you have heard of Ron Paul? The reason I am replying to all and asking is, I think he holds many of our core values, and;

-- Ending the Iraq war and bringing our troops home (he voted against invading Iraq)
-- Abolishing the income tax and the IRS (he has always voted for a balanced budget)
-- Personal freedom and liberty (he voted against the Patriot Act)

He's a man who is committed to his principles and to the Constitution, with a 20 year congressional voting history to prove it.

Recently we have made headlines with the large amounts of fund raising, blimp project, and full page ads taken out by people just like us. Not large corporate interest, but from many individual patriots. It is not my intention to spam this list, I stood shoulder to shoulder with many of you at our rallies.

If any of you would like to know more about Dr. Paul, please reply to this email and I will be happy to offer some links, and information.

Thank you for your time.

Daniel Graham
Coltsinsider@yahoo.com
indycorrupt.blogspot.com

AceNZ
01-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Nice job. I hope it works!

slamhead
01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
This was written by someone on the board. It feel it kinda sums up everything they need to know.

The Magic Surrounding Ron Paul is About to be Revealed

The run up to the presidential primaries of 2008 has been nothing less than a marvel of intrigue for the Republican candidacy of Congressman Ron Paul. This mystic of politics has created a mirage of ubiquity so realistic that it can literally be seen around the world, all while simultaneously remaining shrouded in a cloak of anonymity.

No other candidate has managed to appeal to a broader spectrum of the electorate. No other candidate has been Googled or otherwise researched as much as this presidential contender. No other candidate has as many apathetic voters, first-time voters, and even party-switching voters pledging their unwavering support for them on Election Day.

This candidate, Ron Paul, has accomplished not one, but two, record breaking 24 hour fundraisers. In fact, he’s raised more money in this final quarter than any of his Republican opponents. It’s also interesting to note that this non-interventionist also receives the most contributions from military personnel.

Though unpretentious and unscripted, Ron Paul has dominated online polls, straw polls, and post-debate polls. No other candidate generates more calls, emails, or protests of support. Such allegiance is likely due to the fact that no other candidate has the same consistency in their voting record, their message, and their manner.

No other candidate in either party has amassed the grassroots support that Ron Paul has been able to inspire. No other candidate has as many signs, banners, or bumper stickers percolating across the nation. No other candidate has inspired as many videos, blogs, or songs.

No other candidate has as many people wearing apparel that bears their name. No other candidate has as many vehicles painted or decorated with their name. No other candidate has a blimp, a hot air balloon, and airplanes routinely filling the skies with their name.

No other candidate has as many meet-up groups. No other candidate has as many sign-wavings and rallies. No other candidate has as many boots on the ground going door-to-door on their behalf. No other candidate has as many fans going out of their way to show their support by staking out strategic locations to hold up a sign or banner at a sporting event, a live news feed, or even a competitor’s engagement.

However, the greatest feat in this amazing performance is not what has been witnessed by the masses, but what has not. For this phenomenal candidate has attained such notoriety while being virtually censored by every major establishment, including his own party. Even as the Iowa Caucus is about to dawn, this contender’s percentage of potential success remains locked in single digits according to every major survey.

Yes, Ron Paul is certainly the most magical presidential candidate in the history of American politics. If he fails to produce a top tier finish right before your very eyes, it will only demonstrate that the prodigious conjuring of the American media has trumped him with a spellbinding feat of their own.

itshappening
01-03-2008, 09:06 AM
dont post email addresses bob, i would edit your post and take those out

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Nice job. I hope it works!

Thank you for the kind comments, not all of us can do large and spectacular events. However, when all of us do our small part, it adds up to many good things!

;)

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
dont post email addresses bob, i would edit your post and take those out

thank you, I have removed them.

Bern
01-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Maybe you can cull something useful from this letter I sent to my FIL (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=71168)

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
This was written by someone on the board. It feel it kinda sums up everything they need to know.

The Magic Surrounding Ron Paul is About to be Revealed

The run up to the presidential primaries of 2008 has been nothing less than a marvel of intrigue for the Republican candidacy of Congressman Ron Paul. This mystic of politics has created a mirage of ubiquity so realistic that it can literally be seen around the world, all while simultaneously remaining shrouded in a cloak of anonymity.

No other candidate has managed to appeal to a broader spectrum of the electorate. No other candidate has been Googled or otherwise researched as much as this presidential contender. No other candidate has as many apathetic voters, first-time voters, and even party-switching voters pledging their unwavering support for them on Election Day.

This candidate, Ron Paul, has accomplished not one, but two, record breaking 24 hour fundraisers. In fact, he’s raised more money in this final quarter than any of his Republican opponents. It’s also interesting to note that this non-interventionist also receives the most contributions from military personnel.

Though unpretentious and unscripted, Ron Paul has dominated online polls, straw polls, and post-debate polls. No other candidate generates more calls, emails, or protests of support. Such allegiance is likely due to the fact that no other candidate has the same consistency in their voting record, their message, and their manner.

No other candidate in either party has amassed the grassroots support that Ron Paul has been able to inspire. No other candidate has as many signs, banners, or bumper stickers percolating across the nation. No other candidate has inspired as many videos, blogs, or songs.

No other candidate has as many people wearing apparel that bears their name. No other candidate has as many vehicles painted or decorated with their name. No other candidate has a blimp, a hot air balloon, and airplanes routinely filling the skies with their name.

No other candidate has as many meet-up groups. No other candidate has as many sign-wavings and rallies. No other candidate has as many boots on the ground going door-to-door on their behalf. No other candidate has as many fans going out of their way to show their support by staking out strategic locations to hold up a sign or banner at a sporting event, a live news feed, or even a competitor’s engagement.

However, the greatest feat in this amazing performance is not what has been witnessed by the masses, but what has not. For this phenomenal candidate has attained such notoriety while being virtually censored by every major establishment, including his own party. Even as the Iowa Caucus is about to dawn, this contender’s percentage of potential success remains locked in single digits according to every major survey.

Yes, Ron Paul is certainly the most magical presidential candidate in the history of American politics. If he fails to produce a top tier finish right before your very eyes, it will only demonstrate that the prodigious conjuring of the American media has trumped him with a spellbinding feat of their own.

Blogged it, thank you!

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Ouch, I will reply and let her know that I do not have a list of any sort and will never email her again. But before I do, after reading her reply, is there any counter points that I might add here before I let her off the hook?

Thanks,

My first reply:

Ron Paul is a nut job (has a few good ideas, but overall a nut case)...please do not confuse the Tax crisis in Indianapolis with the election of 08, and take me off your list for emails now.
claudia miles

:o

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
My humble reply:

My apologies Claudia, and you're not on any sort of a list. I simply thought that I would reply to all from the Stop Indiana email, as I strongly feel that Dr. Paul's policies are in lock step with our local goals.

You will not hear from me about him again, and please have a terrific day!

Dan

jdmetz
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Ouch, I will reply and let her know that I do not have a list of any sort and will never email her again. But before I do, after reading her reply, is there any counter points that I might add here before I let her off the hook?

Thanks,

My first reply:

Ron Paul is a nut job (has a few good ideas, but overall a nut case)...please do not confuse the Tax crisis in Indianapolis with the election of 08, and take me off your list for emails now.
claudia miles

:o
Tell her you'll never e-mail her again, but you are curious which of his ideas make him a "nutjob" in her opinion. Without knowing specific problems she has with his platform, it is hard to refute anything.

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Tell her you'll never e-mail her again, but you are curious which of his ideas make him a "nutjob" in her opinion. Without knowing specific problems she has with his platform, it is hard to refute anything.

My reply to her was at the bottom of the page:

My apologies Claudia, and you're not on any sort of a list. I simply thought that I would reply to all from the Stop Indiana email, as I strongly feel that Dr. Paul's policies are in lock step with our local goals.

You will not hear from me about him again, and please have a terrific day!

Dan

:)

whutaboutbob
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Just sent this out to another list, even bigger than the last one and uploaded a new video.

I am SO excited to see how things turn out tonight!!

Ra Ron Paul!