PDA

View Full Version : Would Goldwater agree with Dr. Paul? How about Nixon or Ike?

Bryan
05-21-2007, 12:59 AM
So I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see what some past Republican presidential candidates said after they won the parties nomination and consider their words in today's light. I picked these three men as they were all mentioned in the first debate, Dr. Paul brought up the issue of Nixon and Eisenhower getting us out of a war and the moderator compared Dr. Paul to Goldwater.

Below are some quotes I pulled out that seemed of interest, there is obviously much, much more so feel free to do some additional reading, it can be pretty interesting.

-------

Goldwater:

We Republicans seek a government that attends to its inherent responsibilities of maintaining a stable monetary and fiscal climate, encouraging a free and a competitive economy and enforcing law and order. Thus do we seek inventiveness, diversity, and creativity within a stable order, for we Republicans define government's role where needed at many, many levels, preferably through the one closest to the people involved.

Our towns and our cities, then our counties, then our states, then our regional contacts - and only then, the national government. That, let me remind you, is the ladder of liberty, built by decentralized power. On it also we must have balance between the branches of government at every level.

Barry Goldwater's 1964 Acceptance Speech
28th Republican National Convention
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwaterspeech.htm

-------------------------------------

Nixon:

When the strongest nation in the world can be tied down for four years in a war in Vietnam with no end in sight;

When the richest nation in the world can't manage its own economy;

When the nation with the greatest tradition of the rule of law is plagued by unprecedented lawlessness;

When a nation that has been known for a century for equality of opportunity is torn by unprecedented racial violence;

And when the President of the United States cannot travel abroad or to any major city at home without fear of a hostile demonstration -- then it's time for new leadership for the United States of America.

Richard M. Nixon
Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech

Republican National Convention
Miami Beach, Florida
August 8, 1968
http://www.4president.org/speeches/nixon1968acceptance.htm

Eisenhower:

The biggest fact about the Korean war is this: It was never inevitable, it was never inescapable, no fantastic fiat of history decreed that little South Korea-in the summer of 1950-would fatally tempt Communist aggressors as their easiest victim. No demonic destiny decreed that America had to be bled this way in order to keep South Korea free and to keep freedom itself-self-respecting. We are not mute prisoners of history. That is a doctrine for totalitarians, it is no creed for free men.

There is a Korean war-and we are fighting it-for the simplest of reasons: Because free leadership failed to check and to turn back Communist ambition before it savagely attacked us. The Korean war-more perhaps than any other war in history-simply and swiftly followed the collapse of our political defenses. There is no other reason than this: We failed to read and to outwit the totalitarian mind.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
October 25, 1952 (just prior to election)
Famous "I Shall Go to Korea" speech
http://tucnak.fsv.cuni.cz/~calda/Documents/1950s/Ike_Korea_52.html

Two comments:

First on Nixon- "When the nation with the greatest tradition of the rule of law is plagued by unprecedented lawlessness;" LOL! Pot. Kettle. Black. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Second: Sean Hannity pushed Dr. Paul after the second debate with the "the brutal dictator is killing the children, you won't intervene?!?!" line- it would seem Eisenhower addressed this quite well- restated slightly we could say: "No demonic destiny decreed that America had to be bled this way in order to keep Iraq free and to keep freedom itself-self-respecting. We are not mute prisoners of history. That is a doctrine for totalitarians, it is no creed for free men."

Once again, it's all about freedom.

Thoughts?

4Horsemen
05-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Nixon was controlled by the establishment. Goldwater was a good man, and he was one of the first people to mention that the politicians don't run this country anymore. FDR's, son in-law wrote a book about how his father in-law was controlled, the new deal wasn't his idea.

tnvoter
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Goldwater Jr supports RP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPoFXl97wv4