PDA

View Full Version : Robert A. Heinlein and Ron Paul

Minuteman2008
01-03-2008, 03:53 AM
I got to thinking the other day about who science fiction author Robert Heinlein would have voted for if he were still alive. Many of his novels have a libertarian slant to them, especially The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (did he coin the phrase "there ain't so such thing as a free lunch?"), Starship Troopers, and the Rolling Stones (free traders). It has been a few years since I've read any of his novels, but I know his outlook was one of liberty and personal responsibility. Many of his books characters were outlets for Heinlein's sermons on politics.

Would he have been a Ron Paul supporter? I think so. If he was still alive, he'd be 100 years old. Wouldn't it be nice to elect a candidate with a similar outlook?

I know he wasn't a pure libertarian (which doesn't bother me because I'm far from it too), and some of his books were controversial, such as Farnham's Freehold and his nonfiction book about his travels in the 1950s but in general outlook I think his positive message was something that Ron Paul also represents.

Any other Robert Heinlein fans here? I did a search but came up empty.

truelies
01-03-2008, 05:49 AM
In Truth I am kinda thinking that RAH would likely have went with Romney or McCain this Repub primary cycle. While it is true that he DID value Liberty in a 'Leave Me Alone' sense for himself (he has a libertine on the level of Rudy G, without the cross dressing into the late 1940's which he did his best to conceal then and later as his principal source of income was books targeted to the young)........AND always what Paul Craig Roberts has referred to as a Nationalist- one who is just NOT able to admit error on the part of his Country. He was a smart and well informed man sooooo it is hard to imagine how he could have missed what General Smedley Butler had to say about the use of our Armed Forces to strongarm small countries for the profit of well connected businessmen. I am quite sure he would still be 'supporting the troops' in the Sean Hannity sense of the term.

BTW pick up a copy of 'For Us, the Living' it lays a real foundation of where the man's world view was coming from..........particularly his loathing of red state Christians.

DrCap
01-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Having read most or all of Heinlein's work over the past 20 years and followed Ron Paul for 20 years, I believe that Heinlein's messages of freedom, diversity of morals, and separation from the big government authority, live and let live philosophy etc. would place Heinlein far closer to Ron Paul than any other candidate.

WilliamC
01-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Heinlien would definitely support Ron Paul were he able to do so. Much of my libertarian leanings come from him and other SciFi authors I read as a youngster.