PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul leads Republicans in "One Bean One Vote" Iowa Coffee Bean Caucus

Troyhand
01-03-2008, 03:32 AM
If this is a prediction of what's gonna happen today, all I can say is....
"Damn, Marge. That's some good coffee!":D
http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080103/NEWS01/801030314/1079

Coffee consensus: Obama wins Hamburg vote
After months of political events, campaign visits and national polls, it is finally caucus time for Iowa -- and the Hamburg Inn No. 2.

The iconic Iowa City diner is a political hotspot whenever the caucuses and presidential elections roll around. On a bitterly cold Wednesday morning, the place was packed with customers chowing down on breakfast and eyeballing CNN's American Morning Show, which was broadcasting live from the restaurant.

The CNN crew interviewed local residents about their plans for caucus day today and also unveiled Democratic candidate Sen. Barack Obama as the winner of the "One Bean One Vote" Iowa Coffee Bean Caucus.

Many candidates, and famous people representing the candidates, have appeared at the Hamburg Inn in the past few months, but Obama garnered more than twice as many votes as any other candidate with 1,733. Hillary Clinton placed second with 830 and John Edwards received 445. Trailing behind several other Democratic candidates, Ron Paul led the Republicans with 132 votes.

Though Iowa City leans heavily Democratic, many Republican supporters came out for breakfast and to make their presence known.

"I'm a big supporter of Rudy Giuliani, and I knew CNN was going to be here and I wanted to see what they had to say," said University of Iowa junior Kendall Sater.

Sater, a political science major from Bartlett, Ill., said she wasn't expecting so many people to come out so early in the morning.

"It's kind of weird for me because I'm from Illinois," Sater said.

However, Iowa City resident Bob Hibbs said he wasn't surprised by the big turn out. Hibbs said he and his wife came early to the diner to make sure they got a seat and to take in "the excitement of the election process."

"We're in the political mood right now," Hibbs said.

Dave Panther, owner of the restaurant, said while it was somewhat bittersweet that the political fervor will like wane once the candidates focus on the New Hampshire primary, he enjoyed the excitement.

"It's been fun," he said. "It'll be interesting now to see who shows up to the real caucus and how it turns out."

ForTheRevolution
01-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Iowa City definitely leans very heavily democratic, but if you look around...Ron Paul is def a major leader in the republican race for this area

Joe3113
01-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Awesome

ross11988
01-03-2008, 05:32 AM
This was taken at 5:30AM YESTERDAY. We need an updated number